Catholic Charities of Brooklyn & Queens Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Catholic Charities of Brooklyn & Queens Interview Questions

Interviews at Catholic Charities of Brooklyn & Queens

2.7

Social Worker Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Catholic Charities of Brooklyn & Queens in August 2014.

Interview

This was a very long process. Despite doing the two required interviews back to back, everything is run through a central HR. So I had to provide them with 3 original, dated, and signed letters of recommendation, a copy of my M.A. diploma, and then go through an intense background check. From the time of my interview until I started more than 1.5 months went by. At the in person interview, you need to provide an on the spot writing sample.

Interview Questions

• Give an example when a supervisor offered criticism and your response.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation available.

Social Worker Interview

Interview

It was an In-depth interview process by which you meet with a HR recruiter and the director of the agency/clinic for which you are intended to be hired. Questions asked pertained to why they should hire you, your ability to provide therapy, how you remained organized in an unorganized and/or chaotic environment, and what you had to offer to the agency and to the clients.

Interview Questions

• Why should they hire you/ what can you offer the organization?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Catholic Charities of Brooklyn & Queens (Brooklyn, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I met the recruiter at a job fair and the position seemed to be a good fit for my career goals. I met with the recruiter for a preliminary interview, and met with the director of the facility the following week. Within a week of meeting with the director, I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• "How do you feel that you fit in with the organization's mission?"   Answer Question

Case Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jamaica, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Catholic Charities of Brooklyn & Queens (Jamaica, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

I've never been through such an impersonal, bureaucratic hiring process. I submitted a cover letter and resume. When I was called in for a first round interview with a random member of the HR department, I was asked some general questions about my experience, and then I was asked to provide three to four references. At the end of the first interview, I spent about 20-30 minutes on a typed case assessment. About a week-and-a-half later, I went in for a second round interview with somebody in a more senior position. They also asked some very general questions. Despite never calling my references, they then waited two weeks to immediately ask me to submit three letters of recommendation, hand-signed and on company letterhead. I submitted mine electronically, because some of my references were from out of state, and they then asked me to submit printed letters. The entire process took about 1 1/2 months, largely in part because they wanted those ridiculous letters of rec for an entry level position.

At the time, I was jobless and desperate for money. I was offered the job. For some reason they assumed that I would be taking it, so they skipped any negotiations or discussions and sent me an email with an orientation time, demanding that I have those mailed-in letters of recommendation by my orientation date. While I was jobless and desperate for money at the time fortunately the long, bureaucratic process, I was fortunate enough to endure a long, bureaucratic process which allowed me to hold out long enough to accept a better job at an organization whose mission I actually cared about.

Interview Questions

• How would your prior experience make you a good fit for this role?   Answer Question

Case Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Catholic Charities of Brooklyn & Queens in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online received a call within 1-2 days had a brief telephone interview and then was asked to come in the following week for an in person interview the questions asked were relatively the same questions asked on the phone that pertained to your background and education and what would you do situations and future goals. was asked to supply references during interview received call 2 weeks later stating i was being offered job position and had to do a background check I was nervous because of some trouble i had gotten into a couple years ago but was honest about the ordeal and they were understanding. scheduled for background check and filling out paperwork 2 weeks later and 2 weeks after that was offered a permanent position.overall between the interview and hiring process took about a month. Good for new graduates

Interview Questions

Negotiation

like most non profits there was no room for negation set salary for position

Recruiter Interview

Interview

Interviewed with manager. Called back in for follow up interview with that manager's boss. Interviewer was specific about when decision would be made. Did not follow up with me. I sent e-mail to get an update and neither of them had the courtesy to respond. Highly unprofessional. These are managers? Really? Would not want to work with this rude and unprofessional group even if the salary was competitive.

Database Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Catholic Charities of Brooklyn & Queens.

Interview

After a brief screening interview by HR I spoke to the hiring manager. The discussion went well and I had to make a technical assignment to test my data analysis skills and write a short report. I did not get an offer as they found someone with more experience, but overall the process was very positive and the people very nice and friendly!

Interview Questions

• Give examples of previous work experiences that would apply to the open position.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bayside, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Catholic Charities of Brooklyn & Queens (Bayside, NY) in August 2009.

Interview

Found the job posting online and emailed resume. Received a call within a couple of days for an interview. It's a non-profit and the interviewer was the outgoing Program Manager who was being promoted. We had one interview that lasted about 45 minutes. She asked me the usual background questions, talked about the requirements for the job, and asked what I thought, how I saw myself contributing, and a couple of "what would you do" questions. She called me back to briefly meet with her boss, and it was a donde deal. I had to go to downtown Bklyn where themain office is to be processed.
    It is typical of social service non-profits that they have program sites all over the place and a main office where the operations of the organizations are located.
    My interviewer, who would be my supervisor, was high energy, friendly, a little too sweet for my taste, but I've found that that's who she is. The team is very small and must work closely together. it's expected and promoted. The agency itself is Catholic and promotes Catholic teaching as its underlying mission-and I'm not, so i don't love that, but I'm far enough removed from the main base so it's all good. The 3,000 staff in over 150 programs are very diverse.

Negotiation

Not much room for negotiation in non-profits- no bonuses, and these days, not much in the way of raises. We just got a 3% raise, but it's being taken from our own bottom line. Go figure.

Human Resources Recruitment Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Catholic Charities of Brooklyn & Queens (Brooklyn, NY).

Interview

Application submitted online. Called in and had a phone screen within 1 week of my application. Called in for a first interview with the Associate Director of Human Resources within two weeks of my application submission. Second interview, met with Director of Human Resources. Background Check conducted. Interview process was pretty standard and easy. There was a lot of paperwork complete. Comprehensive background checks are customary.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Unable to negotiate salary. Tried, but they were not open.

Social Worker Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Catholic Charities of Brooklyn & Queens (Brooklyn, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted about 2 weeks later. Very long first phone conversation with HR to ask detailed questions about my work experience and education. Long but thorough. I actually liked this because it let HR know whether or not I was fully qualified for the position and I asked many questions to decide whether or I was really interested in the position. Discussed approximate salary. 2 in-person interviews. Then about a week after the 2nd in-person interview, they offered me the position. Everyone was very pleasant to deal with. The entire process from applying to starting was about 8 weeks.

Interview Questions

• They were fair, if you have work experience you can answer all of them. Mostly situational questions and describing my skills. Yeah, the "tell me about yourself" question must be the hardest one!
      My supervisory style?
      Strengths/Weakneeses?
      When have I disagreed with a supervisor & how was it resolved?
      How do I stay organized?
      How would i handle disciplining employees?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had a set salary in mind. During the first phone conversation HR stated that my desired amount was in the range of what they were offering. That's why I liked this first call. I got an idea of the salary, whereas most employers will discuss salary last.