Catholic Relief Services Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Catholic Relief Services

3.1

International Development Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Catholic Relief Services (Baltimore, MD) in February 2014.

Interview

It turned out to be a snow day for the interview day, so the CRS offices were closed and only a few staff showed up. Perhaps this is what negatively impacted the interview experience. During the panel interview, the interviewers sat very close with their reviewing sheet and their numeric scores to each of my answers were very visible. As you can imagine, this was extremely disconcerting. After the interview, I provided this feedback and CRS apologized and promised to remedy it for the next year.

Interview Questions

• Would I be challenged by CRS' anti-contraception stance?   Answer Question

International Development Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I interviewed at Catholic Relief Services (Baltimore, MD) in February 2016.

Interview

Interviewing for the fellowship is a very long experience which includes an online application with short answer questions and basic resume information, a pre-recorded video interview, a Skype interview, a language test (Spanish, French, or Arabic), and finally an in person interview in Baltimore.

For the in person interview, it was a full day, with information sessions, a writing test, lunch, presentations, and a 1 hour panel interview with 3 people. The questions focused on past experiences, where they ask you to give examples of times certain things happened to you (you dealt with a difficult coworker, for example). Be prepared with lots of examples from several different work and school situations.

From application to tentative offer, it was 5 months, 6 months for country placement (which you have little input on) and 7 months before background check was completed and offer finalized.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the benefits and challenges of working for a faith based organization? Tell me about a time when [fill in the blanks].   Answer Question

Sis Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Catholic Relief Services.

Interview

I applied via the website and received an email from a Senior Recruitment Specialist a week later. The text of his message is below in quotes:

"Greetings from Catholic Relief Services. Thank you for your interest and application for our SiS Specialist position based out of our HQ office in Baltimore.

I’m the recruiter for this position and I would like to schedule a brief call to go over the job description, discuss your expectations and review your employment history. This is the initial step in the candidate selection process that precedes a formal interview.

Would you be available for a 30-minute call at 4:15pm EST on Friday, March 8th? I can also offer a 4pm EST time on Tuesday, March 12th as an alternate.

Please let me know if you are available and provide me with the best number, or Skype address, to contact you."

I replied that I wasn't interested in having a conversation unless there was real interest on his part since I had nothing more to add which wasn't already mentioned on the resume or cover letter and the job description was pretty clear. Never heard back.

Not sure what "expectations" he thought I had but I realize CRS is not Goldman Sachs. I applied because of my desire to help those in need. I was hoping to get an interview not spend 30 minutes on the phone so he could decide if he likes my voice. I think "expectations" was code for we don't want to pay you as much as you might want. I have two master's degrees - one from an Ivy League school with a 4.0 GPA, the other earned with distinction from a D.C. school and a 3.8 GPA. I was also a Peace Corps volunteer and interned with the Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration at the State Department. Despite all that, I can't get an interview? Sorry I can't walk on water. These guys are looking for perfection which is a shame because CRS does good work. Given the nature of their mission, the selection criteria should differ from that of a firm focused on its bottom line but I sadly that is not the case.

Interview Questions

• Never progressed to the interview stage because the recruiter was trying to decide if I deserved an interview.   1 Answer

Domestic Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Catholic Relief Services (Baltimore, MD) in November 2017.

Interview

The questions were not easy questions because you had to apply and think of yourself in a real life situations. I was interviewed and asked questions by four or more people which made it a little nerve racking.

Interview Questions

• Think of a situation where you had to work in a team or group where one or two members were not holding their weight how did you react.   1 Answer

Fundraising Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Catholic Relief Services.

Interview

I was contacted by a PR person and a week later I was interviewed for an hour by a manager over the phone. I was then asked to take a three hour writing and editing test the following week. I was told I would hear from them within a week from taking the test but nobody contacted me. I wrote to ask the manager who interviewed me about the test and I was told they hadn't had a chance to review it. I waited another week and contacted the manager again but I got the same response along with the assurance that I would hear from them in yet one more week. Again, no one wrote or called. All in all, the process was extremely frustrating given the time it demanded and the highly unprofessional manner in which I was dismissed. If you take a candidate this far along in an interview process, the very least you could do is have the courtesy to inform him or her that you will be moving on/hiring someone else.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions. What is your experience, why did you apply to this position, etc.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Catholic Relief Services in July 2018.

Interview

Rigorous. Focused questions about qualitative and quantitative skills. Prior experience in content area a plus. A 3 panel interview via Business for Skype with country representatives. Discussion about country conditions very helpful, company security for staff in country, and some discussion on housing choices.

Interview Questions

• How would I develop a plan for the evaluation of data?   1 Answer

Global HRIS Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Catholic Relief Services (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

The interview process was quick. The turnoff was that the employer knew i had an offer on the table and informed me it was between me and another candidate. They then checked my references and salary. Looks like they are going to make an offer. Then the story of the amount of candidate left to interview and recruiting timeline changed all of a sudden. Doesn’t look diverse from leadership.

Project Coordinator/Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Catholic Relief Services (Baltimore, MD) in November 2018.

Interview

The interview is pretty standard. And there is only one interview (although this depends on who is the hiring manager). As for the interview itself, the panel will be alternating in throwing questions at you. There is usually around 10 questions. Questions are mixed — motivation, previous experiences related to the job, technical assessment, and soft skills (conflict management and supervision). You will not hear from the hiring manager about the interview. A recruiter will be the one telling you the results of the interview. Sometimes they give you feedback but sometimes they just give you a cold shoulder after an interview. Sometimes (as in my case), the interview was more of a formality since someone is already in mind for the job. They had to interview more than one candidate as part of the process (which is basically a waste of time for the applicant and the organization). And this has been a practice with international NGOs so nothing shocking there.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Catholic Relief Services in September 2018.

Interview

I applied online for education and grants program and i was called after 3 weeks to go foe an interview. I was interviewed by 3 friendly workers. The acceptance mail was sent after the interview with 3 days

Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Accra (Ghana)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Catholic Relief Services (Accra (Ghana)) in May 2014.

Interview

After the screening to shortlist a number of candidates (don't remember how many we were), a 3-member interview panel interviewed each shortlisted candidate. The candidates that passed this stage were further invited for a written test. After which, two top candidates were interviewed by the Country Representative and a final decision made on which candidate is the preferred one. The decision was said to have been made after consulting with the panel members that interviewed the candidates. The selected candidate is contacted by the Human Resource Manager through a letter signed by the Country Representative via attachment in an e-mail to the selected candidate.