Cengage Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cengage Sales Representative Interview Questions

Updated Feb 24, 2017

2.8

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cengage in January 2017.

Interview

I had an interview with the Regional Sales Manager, then a campus project, then a meeting to discuss my campus project with the Regional Manager and the VP of Sales, then I was asked to do a Technology Sales Presentation on Mindtap.

Interview Questions

• How do you reach a professor, if they are not available and don't have any office hours.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Cengage

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cengage in September 2015.

Interview

Several phone interviews with direct manager and additional phone interviews with regional manager and regional technical support person.
    Nothing out of the ordinary, the manager knew me as a competitor (20+ yrs as the #1 rep in the region) and was most concerned about my salary requirements and ability to take coaching from a manager. These to me were logical areas I would want addressed if I were the hiring manager. Regional manager asked more pointed questions, why I want to get back in this industry, why I left,success stories at specific accounts, again, questions I would ask if the roles were reversed. Tech guy was really not at all good at asking questions or leading a conversation/interview, I ended up having to ask him questions to keep it moving. Overall it was pretty much a superficial pool of questions being asked.
    As a former competitor to this company with a VERY long track record of success I felt that this position was a perfect fit for me, and for the company.Plug and play reliability, hire me today and I could be in the field doing the job tomorrow with zero training. Perhaps I was a bit overconfident during the process, I'm not quite sure where the line is when you KNOW you are the best candidate and either show it or down play it. I think confidence, being cordial and having the reputation to back it up should trump everything else.
     All of the major players in this market have been hiring young (inexpensive) candidates from outside the field, rarely do any of them succeed and survive more than a couple of years. Success is not based on closing a sale (something a sales person things is the end of the cycle when in fact it is just the beginning) or even getting the professor to require students to use your product. There are many other subtleties that someone with industry experience knows intuitively, but will take years to teach to someone outside the industry.
    The feedback I received from the direct manager was that I didn't answer questions with "specifics". I actually called him out on this because only one such question was asked that would lend itself to a "tell me about a situation where.." question. I felt it must be something else that they are not telling me.
    A friend who is also a customer of Cengage recently spoke with the manager and he said that I might not have listened enough and talked too much. This they felt would not bode well when working in the field. I had to laugh at this, really. I am in an interview being asked questions, and I'm not supposed to talk but listen? Now if I were the interviewer (which IS what I do in the field) I would ask the questions and wait for the prospect to tell me what I want to know. I would control how the interview goes by asking the RIGHT questions. My friend also said that my confidence may have intimidated them. So weird that someone with more experience in this industry than all 3 of them combined might know how to do this job?
    I was disappointed and surprised to not move forward, but I now know why all new reps have almost zero chance of succeeding, you're hiring the wrong type of rep. It was always enjoyable for me to meet the new reps in the field, the professors and I would joke and make bets on the over/under as to how long the new person would last, 2 years is about the max.
    Sorry but you guys could have had a Ferrari for the price of a Honda because I wanted to come on board with you. Hopefully something else will come up and I'll get another shot.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Cengage in June 2015.

Interview

Phone interview first. Didn't want to move beyond that b/c job involves far more travel than indicated in posted ad. Ad said 50% travel but actually job is 75% travel or more. Saw this supported by comment on Glassdoor company comments, as well.

Too much travel.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cengage.

Interview

First there was a phone interview. Then there was an interview with a territory director, then an interview with a regional director, then you do a campus sales project and the final interview is with the VP of sales for one of the coasts(east,west,southeast). The whole process can take up to a month and a half. Cengage likes to hire slow and fire slow.

Interview Questions

• Give a time where you had to use negotiating to diffuse a situation   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Cengage (Newark, NJ) in September 2014.

Interview

I submitted resume through employee referral. I was contacted by district manager two weeks later via phone for interview. That resulted in an in personal interview. I then was asked to complete campus project (visit campus with guidelines and submit report) Overall positive experience and seems like a great fit.

Interview Questions

• the campus project was probably the most time consuming, but can't say difficult. It was great experience to feel out the role of publishing sales rep.   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Interview

Found the position online and applied through the website. Had initial phone conversation with Director of Sales and was invited in for face to face interview with Director and two other team members. Phone interview consisted of several questions about my educational background and in-person interview was more focused on work experience.

Interview Questions

• Wanted to know actual questions that I would use in my selling process for my current position which is unrelated to Cengage position.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Interview

Interview process was a process. 2 phone interviews, 2 in person, flew to another city to present for a group for final interview. I felt very prepared as I had used an article from Forbes with the 50 most asked interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Gathering data from schools in territory in order to prepare for final presentation was very time consuming.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cengage.

Interview

Took 2 full months. Lots of interviews as you will end up working with a large amount of support staff. You will speak with your direct manager, co-workers, district manager, regional manager, sales manager, digital solutions coordinator, do an in person interview, a presentation on some of the products/technology. 90% can be done online or phone but at least one is in person.

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard questions. Lots of experience questions. Big one was, "Describe on example where you failed to meet your goals and what you did following that failure."   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiations took about 2 weeks. I requested above their standard pay and was given it following several email and phone calls.

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cengage (Baltimore, MD) in March 2012.

Interview

Sales phone interview, in person interview, sales presentation to 3 people

Interview Questions

• be sure to ask for the business. Ask them if they are going to hire you.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cengage in June 2010.

Interview

Process was lengthy with two initial interviews and than a third with the Regional Manager. Had to do a presentation

Negotiation

There was room to negotiate but not much.