Centene Interview Questions in St. Louis, MO | Glassdoor

2.8

48 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Centene (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

Applied in May/June. I was then emailed in July by HR to arrange an interview. I had the interview the week after this email. The hiring manager was very pleasant. She tried to make it a relaxed experience and we exchanged pleasantries for the first 20 minutes of the interview. After this, I was asked what I know about Centene, my knowledge of Excel, why I would like to work there, and how I handled a conflict. The hiring manager spent a significant amount of time discussing the position and how Centene is a great company to work for. The interview last slightly over an hour. It has now been a month and I have yet to hear if I got the job even after contacting the person at HR TWICE. First time, she said the hiring manager was still interviewing candidates and 2nd time, she has not responded. I am assuming I did not get the position which is a shame as the hiring manager seemed like she would be awesome to work for and Centene is a great company to work for according to connections.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Centene (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

Typical behavioral interview questions with plenty of time to ask questions at the end. Met with team lead separately followed by managers. There was no phone interview which is atypical for this position.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you had a disagreement with a coworker and how you handled it   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesterfield, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Centene (Chesterfield, MO) in July 2017.

Interview

I originally applied with Centene for a Project Coordinator position on June 8, 2017. On June 17, 2017, I received an email from the company notifying me that my application had been moved to the next step of the review process. July 17, 2017, I received a second email directly from the Manager my position would be reporting to. He asked if I was still interested in the position and for me to respond back with times that I would be available for an interview. I promptly responded letting him know that I could make myself available at any time, and that he could schedule me at a time that was most convenient for his schedule. He decided that noon on July 19, 2017 would work best.

The interview itself was very relaxed and comfortable, the entire process lasted about 90 minutes. The interviewer, Jeff, started by asking what I knew about the company. After I told him the information I learned during my prep work the days prior, he gave me a very detailed overview of the company and its recent acquisition of Health Net. From there he went on to explain the position and some its primary responsibilities and asked me some average situational and behavioral questions.

At the end of interview, I was given the chance to address any questions or concerns that I had. At that time, I asked when the anticipated start date for the position was, and when I could expect to hear from him next. I was told that the position would start within a few weeks and that I would hear from him by the following Friday, July 28, 2017.

At this point I assume that I am no longer in the running for the position. I never received a response on the 28th, and my follow up inquiry went unanswered as well. While I am disappointed that I apparently didn’t get the job, the interview process was a good learning experience and Jeff was pleasure to interview with. I was really looking forward to the opportunity of being able work with him.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a large project you have worked on in the past.   Answer Question
    • How would you handle a situation where you are working on a project for me, and someone else comes up and asks you to work on something different for them?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle a telephone call with a disgruntle/irate customer or employee?   Answer Question

Provider Data Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesterfield, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Centene (Chesterfield, MO) in June 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter about 3 months after applying for the position. There were two managers that interviewed me, although in the email it stated there would be three managers. When I asked questions they just keep talking about how great of a company they think Centene is and that they are on the Forbes list, I had a hard time receiving an upfront answer. They then proceeded to tell me this job is essentially data entry. When I asked about the growth they said there was only growth in that department. They talked most of the interview seemingly trying to convince me of what a great company Centene is. The interview seemed very unprofessional and the behavioral questions seemed very bland. They made a snide remark about excel experience, since it is on my resume, before asking me about my previous and current excel experience. I walked out of the interview very let down, as I had great expectations for this company and its employees they place in management roles.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you took a leadership role on a project.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clayton, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Centene (Clayton, MO).

Interview

Phone screen, then face to face with VPs. The phone screen consisted of finding out about my background and skills, after the phone screen I was set up with a face-to-face interview with the hiring manager and his boss. The interview consisted of behavioral interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were working on a project and the specifications stayed the same but the date changed what did you do?   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Centene (Saint Louis, MO) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process was typical and pretty easy. A lot of it was my manager sharing about what she did and the position being offered. I was asked if I wanted to be a developer in IT because the position did not involve development. I said no because I wanted to be on more of the business side of IT.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how I handled conflict, how well I worked in a team, choosing quality work over quantity, and other typical interview questions   Answer Question

Provider Data Management Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Town and Country, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Centene (Town and Country, MO) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied for the position on February 18th. On Wednesday, March 8th, I received a call from HR at Centene stating they wanted to set up an in-person interview for either that Friday (March 10th) or the following Tuesday, March 14th. I set up my interview for the Tuesday time slot. HR sent an email to me stating where my interview would be located and instructions on where to go. They also informed me that I would be interviewing with more than one person. When I arrived for my interview, the HR guy checking us in told me that I would be interviewing with a total of 12 people in 4 different rooms, 3 people in each room. The interview went really well. Some rooms asked behavioral based questions while other rooms asked technical questions. I made sure to ask the last set of interviewers when I would be hearing something, and it seems there is a bit of disconnect between HR and hiring managers, because they weren't really sure. Two days later on Thursday, March 16th, I received an email from HR stating they wanted to move on to the next step for the position meaning a background check. Once you pass this step, you will definitely get a job offer. The background check process was the most complicated portion of the interview process and almost made me not get the job. HR will send an email where you will go and update your job application you submitted to Centene. Make sure ALL dates for employment and education are 100% accurate. Also, make sure the name of your employers are what is shown on your W9. So if you had an on-campus job in college and were paid by the school, make sure to list the school as your employer. Once I filled out all the information, I contacted HR to let them know, and she told me that if everything checked out, it would only take a week at most. The next day, I received an email from a women who works at the 3rd party background check company asking me to verify my on-campus job and the employer. This is where I messed up. I verified I worked for Sodexo Food Services, but I should have stated the name of my college, since they are the ones who signed the paychecks. That following Tuesday, I received a pre-adverse action letter in the mail from the background company stating Centene would not offer me employment based on my background check results, and if I disagreed with the findings, I could dispute the information within 7 days. I immediately contacted the background check company to explain, and the lady said I needed to send W2s for the time I worked there. I also contacted my school to explain the situation. Needless to say, it was a very nerve wracking experience. Once everything was sorted out, the lady from the background check company contacted me to tell me everything was verified, and she was sending a revised background check to Centene. On Wednesday, March 29th, I received a call from Centene with an offer for the position. The guy from HR explained all the benefits in their package and compensation. I was able to make a counteroffer, and Centene accepted that on Monday, April 3rd. I accepted the position and started working at Centene on Monday, April 24th.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with Excel?   Answer Question
    • What is the most difficult group you have dealt with, and how did you overcome this?   Answer Question
    • What qualities made your best manager so great?   Answer Question
    • What is a mistake you've made in the past, and how did you overcome this?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate. I told them with my experience and skills, I was hoping for a bit more in the position. We were able to agree on a fair compensation price.

Marketing Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Centene (Saint Louis, MO) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online. HR contacts very professional and timely. Spoke with two MKT representatives via telephone interview with the dialogue very disorganized. One individual was never engaged or asked anything. I felt they never looked at any of my background or resume except during the interview. I prepared by looking at LI profiles and GD interviews for the same position in other locations to determine which areas to cover during the interview. I used the S A R (Situation Action Results) technique to highlight previous successes at past employers using LI peer information and the position job description duties. I have been a hiring manager in similar situation before so I know what they should have been seeking in a candidate. Both were nice individuals but seemed unsure about how to probe for action/results instead of switching to different subjects. Also, it would have been better to take turns asking questions that have one individual dominate the discussion. The questions I asked where not answered very well. I feel bad for the company since I'm sure I could have really helped beginning Day 1 with my local knowledge and professional network but that's life in the corporate world.

Interview Questions

• How many people have you managed?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in O Fallon, MO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Centene (O Fallon, MO) in January 2017.

Interview

Went in for one interview and thought it went well. I never received an offer but more importantly no one ever contacted me to say they were going in a different direction. Recruiters ignored all my communications sent after the interview. Everything that happened after the interview was unprofessional.

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Centene (Saint Louis, MO) in January 2017.

Interview

Face to face interview was productive. Got to explain my approach to the position and put forth a description of my expertise; tell them about how YOU made it work.

Interview Questions

• Classic STAR format. Will cover strategy, reporting, diversity and challenges encountered.   1 Answer