Center for Strategic and International Studies Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Center for Strategic and International Studies Intern Interview Questions

Updated May 2, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC).

Interview

After applying online I received an email reaching out to set up a phone interview. The interview was cancelled via email shortly before it was supposed to begin, and the interviewer requested an alternate time to speak. I never heard from the interviewer again.

Other Interview Reviews for Center for Strategic and International Studies

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was asked for interview about a week later. The team was easy to communicate with, very friendly and accommodating for phone interview. They followed up exactly when they said they would, about a week later, which was nice because not many employers are as prompt.

Interview Questions

• Name which journals you typically use for research, and walk us through your research process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

Interview

I received a request for an interview about 12 hours after I applied and had a phone interview three days later, which lasted about 20 minutes. Several weeks later, I received an email for a panel interview, this interview lasted just over 30 minutes. Both interviews had typical interview questions. Exactly one week later I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• What would your current supervisor say your strengths and weaknesses are?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Interview

Fairly standard interview with the addition of one field specific question. If you can speak with confidence and demonstrate depth of knowledge in the subject, the interview won't be hard.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

Two part screening. First was a phone interview, where we went over my resume and interest in CSIS. Second interview was on-site, where they asked me about my interest, familiarity with the department/project, coursework, previous experience, and language ability.

Interview Questions

• Tell me more about your coursework and why you chose those courses   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies in July 2015.

Interview

I sent a resume and cover letter, and the next day they arranged me an interview with a research assistant. He explained in more detail about the role as an internship, and asked some behavioral questions and my interest in the field. A week after the interview was over, I had a writing test. I basically had to write an essay in 30 minutes. Both the interview and the writing test was not challenging, at I got an offer the day I submitted my writing prompt.

Interview Questions

• Basic stuff like why interested in this position and behavioral questions   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies in May 2015.

Interview

I actually interviewed for two different internships at the same time -- the interview process for both was very straightforward. Both asked me to describe my background and asked routine questions about my organizational and research skills. Both also asked me more substantial questions about their respective programs, and although it seemed like they were putting me on the spot, I think they were just looking for how you went about answering the question as opposed to the actual substance of the answer.

Interview Questions

• Who is the Foreign Minister of Burma?
      What was your favorite research project in college?
      Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies in March 2015.

Interview

Pretty easy, straightforward behavioral interview in the office. There interview was one-on-one and I was asked pretty softball questions. I had little experience in my subject area, but was able to related it tangentially to my interests. You just need to demonstrate interest in the subject area.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Interview

First they offered me phone interview, but I said I wanted to meet them directly. It was definitely helpful because I got to meet the whole team. Then second interview was with deputy director of the program.

Interview Questions

• If you have a supernatural ability, what would it be?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Interview

Applied online for a semester-long internship in one of the specific programs. Received an invitation to interview a month later. Went into the office for an interview (though was offered the option for an interview over the phone). Interview was approximately 45 minutes long. Mostly questions about why I was interested in the position, what experiences on my resume (or others) contributed to that interest. Asked about work style. Asked about what projects I would be interested in working on and why. Asked some topic-related questions that definitely required specific knowledge to answer. Received offer via email a week and a half after my interview and was given 5 days to accept or decline.

Interview Questions

• Most unexpected question was about what I like to do outside the office (for fun, hobbies, etc.)   Answer Question

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate for more time to accept the offer, as I was balancing other interviews/positions, but could not get a significant amount of more time.