Center for Strategic and International Studies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 20, 2017

2.8

Video Editor/Multimedia Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

Had a short phone call and the next week I came in for an in person interview. I got along well with everyone I met and was told that I did not need to know motion graphics for the job. I was told that interns come in not knowing motion graphics and a month later they were proficient. They told me they had no problem teaching me how to use motion graphics. Then a month later they told me they could not hire me because I did not know motion graphics.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with someone higher up and not in your department telling you that you need to redo your entire project?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was asked for interview about a week later. The team was easy to communicate with, very friendly and accommodating for phone interview. They followed up exactly when they said they would, about a week later, which was nice because not many employers are as prompt.

Interview Questions

• Name which journals you typically use for research, and walk us through your research process.   Answer Question

Membership Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC) in July 2016.

Interview

Online application (resume, cover letter) followed by first round in person interview. Very basic behavioral questions with others more in line with the position (have you ever worked with high profile clientele, what kinds of events does your current company run?). Claimed that they wanted their new hire to start mid-July, but dragged on the followup process claiming that the process was taking longer than expected. I, unfortunately, did not receive a second interview. No qualms with the process, but wish that communication was stronger after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to use discretion in the workplace?   Answer Question

External Relations Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

1) A phone interview with simple questions about background and interests
    2) A writing test- compiling a newsletter, with clear instructions and templates
    3) An in-person interview + a writing assessment. Three-hour long, meeting multiple people from supervisors to coworkers. The writing test is one hour long.

Interview Questions

• How do you prioritize your work if the schedule is really tight?   Answer Question

Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

there are 3 people who interviewed me. Normal behavioral and experience questions but plus a absurd one. Nothing special. They are kinda arrogant but it's ok to me. But u won't get a chance to work with scholars for this intern position.

Interview Questions

• what will be the scenario if the continent of China and US switch?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC) in November 2015.

Interview

Simple, I filled out application online which required resume, writing sample, and cover-letter. I crafted my cover-letter to what they were looking for as a candidate. The interview itself a thorough one. It is important not to raise issues about asking for time off and to know as much as possible about the program you are applying to be an intern for.

Interview Questions

• What was the reason for me to apply for the internship?   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

Brief phone screening with basic background and experience questions followed by an in-person interview with the immediate supervisor and senior manager. They finally called me again to ask more personality based questions. They sprung some questions dealing with international development so it's good to know the context of the work CSIS does.

Interview Questions

• If you were working with a senior director whose views you disagreed with, would you voice your opinion?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC) in April 2013.

Interview

submit the online application and then had a phone call interview. The interviewer is very friendly

Intern Interview

Interview

I got the internship information from my university. I submitted the application and get email from the organization to set up the phone interview schedule. And the next day, I got phone interview. There was no difficult interview questions at all.

Interview Questions

• No difficult question at all. That was internship position.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC) in December 2008.

Interview

I sent in my resume and cover letter, and heard back two weeks later. (The announcement had been up on the site for a week or two before I sent in my materials.) It was right around Christmas time, so the timeline might be skewed from their normal process.

The staffer doing the hiring asked for three writing samples, which I sent along via email. I never heard back from the organization after sending these in.

I have been told by a friend who works at the Center that the organization has been getting upwards of 500 applications per position for many of their research assistant positions, and that many of these have been filled without announcements or by moving up interns or bringing back former interns. Hard place to get into, at least if you haven't done the internship first.