Center for Strategic and International Studies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 11, 2018

2.6

43 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Interview

They got back to me in two days. I submitted the application online and received an email to schedule an interview the same week. The interview itself was like any normal interview. They did take a lot of time explaining the position and the responsibilities.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Interview

I applied online and two weeks later received an email asking me to do a phone interview the next day. The first interview was with two employees and lasted 30 minutes. They asked me mostly about my resume and my interest in the specifics of the position. There were a couple difficult questions where they asked me about what they saw as gaps in my experience. The next day, I was asked to do a second phone interview with the program director. That interview lasted 20 minutes and was easier and more conversational. I was then asked to do a short timed writing assignment. Three days after submitting that, I received my offer.

A good portion of the interview time was allotted to me asking questions, so have a long list of good followup questions.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working with CSIS in particular?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Interview

You apply through the online portal, but are unlikely to get anywhere unless you can get someone in the building to flag your application and put a word in.

Interview Questions

• What historical figure would you not want to be?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC).

Interview

After applying online I received an email reaching out to set up a phone interview. The interview was cancelled via email shortly before it was supposed to begin, and the interviewer requested an alternate time to speak. I never heard from the interviewer again.

Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC) in May 2017.

Interview

Submitted initial application (resume, cover letter, recs) in response to a posting. One week later a phone interview was scheduled, with basic questions regarding fit, qualifications, etc. One week after that, a final on-site interview was scheduled with a member of the team with which I would potentially work. First, the interviewer provided a rundown of their team, work, and related needs. Second, a large amount of time was devoted to soliciting and answering questions from the interviewee, regarding both the team & its substantive work and the organization and culture of CSIS more broadly, with the apparent goal of both 1. providing information and 2. assessing fit & expertise based on questions asked. Finally, a very small amount of time was devoted to asking a more traditional interview question (namely, that I run through my resume and connect it to the job's requirements), followed by one other question (listed below) geared toward seeing the interviewee walk through a cost benefit analysis out loud.

**IMPORTANT NOTE: Based on many conversations, there is a large variance in interview style and content at CSIS, a function of differences across programs/projects/teams as well as the large amount of personal discretion afforded to the interviewer.

**Resultant Advice: Come prepared for questions typical of both a traditional job interview and a behavioral interview, and also be ready to illustrate analytic and research processes out loud as well as be at least somewhat apprised of current events. And be prepared to ask good questions!

Interview Questions

• Of the several projects we've discussed, to which of them would you/your skillset add the most value and why, comparatively?   1 Answer

Video Editor/Multimedia Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

Had a short phone call and the next week I came in for an in person interview. I got along well with everyone I met and was told that I did not need to know motion graphics for the job. I was told that interns come in not knowing motion graphics and a month later they were proficient. They told me they had no problem teaching me how to use motion graphics. Then a month later they told me they could not hire me because I did not know motion graphics.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with someone higher up and not in your department telling you that you need to redo your entire project?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was asked for interview about a week later. The team was easy to communicate with, very friendly and accommodating for phone interview. They followed up exactly when they said they would, about a week later, which was nice because not many employers are as prompt.

Interview Questions

• Name which journals you typically use for research, and walk us through your research process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

Interview

I received a request for an interview about 12 hours after I applied and had a phone interview three days later, which lasted about 20 minutes. Several weeks later, I received an email for a panel interview, this interview lasted just over 30 minutes. Both interviews had typical interview questions. Exactly one week later I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• What would your current supervisor say your strengths and weaknesses are?   Answer Question

Web Interview

Interview

Fairly simple and straightforward. The interviewer asked a few general questions about my background and plans for the future. The interviewer elaborated on the position and organization; and was very responsive to the questions I asked. The internship opportunities sound competitive; although my expertise is not in International Studies, the interviewer informed me that they host several general professional development workshops and networking events.

Interview Questions

• Is this position related to what you want to do in the long run?   Answer Question

Research Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Interview

Applied through online portal, was contacted for initial phone interview with research assistant/program coordinator, interview lasted thirty to forty-five minutes, was asked to demonstrate knowledge of research group's recent work and priorities, discuss extent of my own experience and knowledge, had intern position described to me, received phone call a few weeks later with offer. Did not interact with anyone except research assistant/program coordinator.