Center for Strategic and International Studies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Center for Strategic and International Studies Interview Questions

Updated May 2, 2017

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC).

Interview

After applying online I received an email reaching out to set up a phone interview. The interview was cancelled via email shortly before it was supposed to begin, and the interviewer requested an alternate time to speak. I never heard from the interviewer again.

Video Editor/Multimedia Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

Had a short phone call and the next week I came in for an in person interview. I got along well with everyone I met and was told that I did not need to know motion graphics for the job. I was told that interns come in not knowing motion graphics and a month later they were proficient. They told me they had no problem teaching me how to use motion graphics. Then a month later they told me they could not hire me because I did not know motion graphics.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with someone higher up and not in your department telling you that you need to redo your entire project?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was asked for interview about a week later. The team was easy to communicate with, very friendly and accommodating for phone interview. They followed up exactly when they said they would, about a week later, which was nice because not many employers are as prompt.

Interview Questions

• Name which journals you typically use for research, and walk us through your research process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

Interview

I received a request for an interview about 12 hours after I applied and had a phone interview three days later, which lasted about 20 minutes. Several weeks later, I received an email for a panel interview, this interview lasted just over 30 minutes. Both interviews had typical interview questions. Exactly one week later I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• What would your current supervisor say your strengths and weaknesses are?   Answer Question

Web Interview

Interview

Fairly simple and straightforward. The interviewer asked a few general questions about my background and plans for the future. The interviewer elaborated on the position and organization; and was very responsive to the questions I asked. The internship opportunities sound competitive; although my expertise is not in International Studies, the interviewer informed me that they host several general professional development workshops and networking events.

Interview Questions

• Is this position related to what you want to do in the long run?   Answer Question

Research Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Interview

Applied through online portal, was contacted for initial phone interview with research assistant/program coordinator, interview lasted thirty to forty-five minutes, was asked to demonstrate knowledge of research group's recent work and priorities, discuss extent of my own experience and knowledge, had intern position described to me, received phone call a few weeks later with offer. Did not interact with anyone except research assistant/program coordinator.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Interview

Fairly standard interview with the addition of one field specific question. If you can speak with confidence and demonstrate depth of knowledge in the subject, the interview won't be hard.

Membership Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC) in July 2016.

Interview

Online application (resume, cover letter) followed by first round in person interview. Very basic behavioral questions with others more in line with the position (have you ever worked with high profile clientele, what kinds of events does your current company run?). Claimed that they wanted their new hire to start mid-July, but dragged on the followup process claiming that the process was taking longer than expected. I, unfortunately, did not receive a second interview. No qualms with the process, but wish that communication was stronger after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to use discretion in the workplace?   Answer Question

External Relations Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

1) A phone interview with simple questions about background and interests
    2) A writing test- compiling a newsletter, with clear instructions and templates
    3) An in-person interview + a writing assessment. Three-hour long, meeting multiple people from supervisors to coworkers. The writing test is one hour long.

Interview Questions

• How do you prioritize your work if the schedule is really tight?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

Two part screening. First was a phone interview, where we went over my resume and interest in CSIS. Second interview was on-site, where they asked me about my interest, familiarity with the department/project, coursework, previous experience, and language ability.

Interview Questions

• Tell me more about your coursework and why you chose those courses   Answer Question