Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 2, 2017

2.9

Public Health Associate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (New York, NY).

Interview

The process is broken down into 3 stages. 1st. One week application window. It was very simple to fill out but make sure you know when the application opens and closes. 2nd. If you meet the qualifications then they will allow you to write a personal statement and ask you about your regional preferences. 3rd. Stage. If your personal statement was good then you'll get a Skype interview for 45 minutes. Due to the 2017 HHS hiring freeze I am still waiting to hear back -Aug 2017

Interview Questions

• Name a time where your manager gave you feedback/ criticism on a task you completed. How did you receive it?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you worked with someone from a different culture. What was the experience? What actions did you take?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you worked in a bureaucratic environment and how did it affect your work. Use the STAR method to respond.   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you were doing a task but it didn't work. What actions did you take and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Communications Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in February 2017.

Interview

Email a resume and cover letter to the listed departmental email. I believe there may have been a brief writing sample request as well. After several weeks, they called me to set up a group phone interview that was exactly 15 minutes long. After the phone call, they gave me two days to submit two recommendations and transcripts (I think it was transcripts. It was a little while ago, but I know they needed something in addition to recommendations). I declined to pursue the process.

Interview Questions

• What is your understanding of what our department does?   Answer Question
    • Have you had a chance to browse our publications? Did anything jump out at you as particularly interesting?   Answer Question
    • What skills are you looking to gain through this (or any) internship?   Answer Question
    • Who are you? Briefly.   Answer Question

Public Health Informatics Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2017.

Interview

Long wait process, took over 3 months to finally interview. The interview was so easy and straightforward. Fortunately, they asked the typical questions that was mentioned at Glassdoor. The main strange thing is the applicants are selected by a panel. Then, the applicants must delected by an assignment group to proceed with an interview with the group followed by a final interview by the fellowship panel.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Interview

The employment process takes forever. The interview process was straightforward - typical questions. One person was very nice and the other was very stiff and hard to read.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience with the job requirements   Answer Question

Public Health Associate Interview

Interview

Skype interview; was very straight forward. My advice would be to be yourself and perfect your elevator pitch. There were a lot of situational questions (ie, what would you do if...?) so it may be best to memorize a few talking points on some of the difficult situations you've encountered.

Statistician Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Interview

The interview process was over the phone and quite brief. The questions were not challenging or complex. It lacked any real or viable description about what the job entailed.

Human Resource Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (New Haven, CT) in September 2016.

Interview

Phone interview followed by Easy questions basic panel interview then met with 2 executives. Unfortunately the offer was extended but rescinded once the original HRM decided to come back. That was unprofessional in the way they handled it. No one told me this until after the final the job offer was made. The VP of HR even told me she socialized with the previous manager during our interview.

Public Health Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Atlanta, GA) in June 2016.

Interview

I interviewed as a CDC Public Health Associate for a conversion to a FTE position to continue at CDC after my 2 year fellowship. It was competitive - many of the PHAPs tried to convert to a FTE Public Health Advisor, but there are fewer positions than PHAPs. Interviews were different for each position. Most interviews had several rounds and were over the phone.

Health Scientist Interview

Application

Interview

Very straight forward process. Initially contacted by email, came in for the interview that included the direct manager and her manager. I learned I had the position within 1 week.

Interview Questions

• The questions were very straightforward and were not difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is none.

Epidemiologist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Interview

The interview process was conducted in two phases. The first was a telephone interview with two team members. The first interview was mostly focused on accessing my skills and experiences. There were several questions related to my data analysis experience and specific software knowledge. The second interview was conducted in person with the team lead. The second interview focused on my ‘fit’ with the team and future career goals. Many of the questions were related to my experience with conflict, being a team player, and how I will work with others.