Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Interview Questions

Updated Feb 25, 2017

2.6

Administrative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.

Interview

Had 3 interviews (Each for a different position/ office. Multiple offices may contact you if many like your resume). One was just a phone interview, essentially got offered the position on the phone. The second was in person, about 20 minutes. Easy, simple questions. Very nice people. The third was also in person. Lasted about 10-15 minutes. They really just talked to me about the position and did very little questioning. Got offered the position the same day. All interviews were relatively low pressure.

Interview Questions

• Some questions I remember:
      Q:Tell me about yourself
      Q: Biggest strength/weakness?
      Q: What makes you better/unique from other applicants?
      Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Process took more than 3 weeks. I was informed one day before the interview. Interview was about 30 - 45 mins on 1:3. Interviewers are soft and polite. Very basic questions, nothing out of the box. Mostly about real-time experience.

Health Insurance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

Very intense and fair,they talked a lot about my experience and verified it with me explaining experience with examples so be ready to give examples just be yourself and you will be fine I am waiting for the FBI check to come back now

Interview Questions

• What do you know about this division   1 Answer

Financial Management Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woodlawn, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (Woodlawn, MD).

Interview

It will involve meeting with more than one manager in the group, and possibly with a few employees on staff. They are flexible about phone interviews if you live out of state (but expect at least one in person interview). The process may involve 2 or 3 interviews, each approximately one hour. The offer can take 1 to 2 months after the interview; don’t be afraid to follow up with your future boss every other week. And don’t get discouraged when they tell you that HR takes a long time to work through this process. Your future boss is being honest. Interview questions are good and usually meaningful; they are not particularly hard or easy.... just conventional. It's hard to interview your potential boss about job specifics - the work is so unique and hard to describe (unless you're a former contractor).

Interview Questions

• If you were a dog, what would you be and why? (This was the only question that came from out in left field.)   1 Answer

Information Systems Specialist (Intern) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woodlawn, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (Woodlawn, MD).

Interview

I applied online after getting an email about the position through my school. The whole process took about 3 weeks, mostly dealing with HR. The interview was with four managers of the Information Systems Division. Some basic questions regarding the systems development life cycle, but nothing really technical. There were other usual interview questions regarding past experience, weaknesses, etc...

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (Baltimore, MD) in December 2013.

Interview

The windows of time when the applications are up and when you can interview are small, but the process still takes some time. I was able to attend a webinar explaining the internship position and speak to a former intern as well. Getting the application in also took some time, but the HR staff got back to me quickly so I'm glad I started the application early! It was only open about a week.

Senior Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (San Francisco, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

Easy, lasted about 30 minutes. General discussion of healthcare. The interview focused on my understanding of the new Obamacare Law, the Affordable Care Act. In addition, discussion of my knowledge of Medicare and Medicaid and review of past employment history. Also, it is important to know that because you are working on the most personal information, health records, SSN and tax information, you will go through a very thorough background check. During that period, you may begin work but are given limited access. Since the personnel systems have been hacked, the background check is very detailed.

Interview Questions

• What do you think the impact of the Obamacare Law will have on the US society. Do you know the difference between Medicare & Medicaid? Are you a team player? If so, explain why? When do you think it is best that you work in isolation vs. a team approach?   Answer Question

Compliance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (Boston, MA) in March 2012.

Interview

Fairly painless phone interview with two people from the administration department. Asked basic questions about my background, previous employment, schooling, etc. I was surprised the process didn't include a second-round in-person interview. Somewhat awkward to try to continue a conversation with three people over the phone without a few awkward interruptions but overall fairly painless.

Interview Questions

I had an offer from another company that better fit what I was looking for.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (New York, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

If you are called in for an interview, keep track of the analytic software that you know how to use. SAS is preferred. If you know SPSS, make sure that you let them know that you are able to learn additional software. If you are fresh out of grad school, make a point to state any stats classes you have taken. Emphasize your analytical skills. Also learn how to use Excel, well. Spreadsheets are still widely used throughout the many departments in the agency.

Interview Questions

• They will ask questions like what you bring to the table, how do you solve big problems, or other things to gauge your critical thinking skills.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The government is open to negotiations as long as you can justify what you are requesting, as long as it is in the hiring band advertised.

Health Insurance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (Washington, DC) in January 2011.

Interview

Found out about the position through word of mouth at my grad school; was asked to come to an interview in DC; interview was a 15 minute chat with the Center Director; was told I was being hired; long HR process to establish grade level which was highly frustrating.

Interview Questions

• The interview was virtually a formality - I was hired during the early days of them looking for smart people ready to go. I don't remember it being much more than a chat about why I was interested and me asking them a lot of questions about what they were doing. It's much more systematic now.   1 Answer