Central Garden & Pet Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Central Garden & Pet Interview Questions

2.8

Customer Service Order Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Central Garden & Pet (Boise, ID) in June 2016.

Interview

Very easy going and friendly interview. They were up front, honest and described the job accurately. I would recommend to my friends to apply at Central Garden & Pet Supply it is simply an awesome place to work.

Interview Questions

• What was my weakest strength?   1 Answer

Accountant - Accounts Payable Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Central Garden & Pet (Boise, ID).

Interview

Straight forward process. Send application, resume, cover letter & contacts.
    Receive call to set up interview which would be scheduled as quickly as possible, most likely the next day.
    Interview is held in a room as close to the front doors as possible with two low lvl managers and no cross committee members.
    I received a call to let me know they would like to send a job offer within 20 minutes, received another call within the hour from regional personnel manager , and finally got my offer letter and salary/compensation packet the next day via FedEx.

Interview Questions

• It's a very basic interview.
      Tell me about yourself.
      Why do you think you are a good candidate for CG&P?
      Tell me about how you handle conflict?
      Where do you see yourself in 5, 10, 15 years?

There are no questions to see if you are a good fit for the monotony of data entry that is required in the position. Instead, the interview focused more on personality as low lvl management is interested in finding people that are positive and willing to bolster management where possible.
      Answer Question

Assistant Brand Manager Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Central Garden & Pet.

Interview

The interview process was pretty standard. Interviewed with someone from HR first before interviewing with someone more involved in the role. The gal from HR was extremely nice, however she asked a lot of illegal questions (do you live alone, do you have a family you live with, do you rent or own a home etc.) that made me feel very uncomfortable and raised a red flag because HR should know better! I interviewed then with someone else within the company who seemed very involved in the role I was applying for. He was nice, but quickly seemed to become bored and disengaged in the interaction. He said they would get back to me by middle of the following week- which did not happen. I had an experience very similarly to another post below- I had contact information so I reached out to ask for an update etc. I got a rejection email from HR within a matter of just a couple of hours. Why tell an applicant a specific time to expect to hear from you and then not follow though- makes me wonder about the company as a whole. The whole process really left a bad taste in my mouth with how it was handled.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you produced results.   Answer Question
    • What can we do better as a company?   1 Answer
    • Why are you interested in Central?   1 Answer

Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Central Garden & Pet (Dallas, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Received a call for phone interview(Screen out). That went well and then received a call to meet at a local establishment to interview in person. The interview went well and received a call days later to take drug screen test. Then received offer letter.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a merchandiser? Are you willing to travel? Do you mind working outdoors in all types of weather?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Easy process. Offered me the average salary for my area and I accepted it.

Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Central Garden & Pet (Phoenix, AZ) in December 2014.

Interview

Very light fluffy human resource phone interview followed by a fairly intense phone interview with marketing director who seemed to check out fairly quickly but kept going through canned questions

Interview Questions

• Name an object in the room you are in and tell me what percentage of the market does it represent.   Answer Question

Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Central Garden & Pet (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

My interview process was the longest and most intensive I have ever had. I had a phone interview first with 2 top department executives. I was living in another state so I was flown in and I interviewed with 8 different managers or executives of various departments. I was flown in for a second round of interviews a couple weeks later. I interviewed with 5 more people. I interviewed with a total of 17 people. Then I completed a lengthy online application and personality test. Background and reference checks and finally the offer. It took about 6 weeks for the hiring process but I got my dream job combining my passion for horses and my marketing skills.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

My recruiter negotiated for me and did an excellent job for me.

Associate Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Central Garden & Pet (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

2 half-hour phone interviews; one with an HR Coordinator and another with the hiring manager. Both of these were to assess previous experience, personality, and why you would want to work for CG&P. Then a few weeks later 1:1 interviews with 3 separate people on the brand management team and 1 HR Coordinator. Each interview was about 45 minutes and consisted of behavioral questions regarding past successes.

Interview Questions

• No questions were difficult or unexpected. Be sure to know your background and have around 10 STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) answers and plenty of questions to ask yourself.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Slight negotiations but they have a tight budget so had to be practical.

Associate Brand Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Central Garden & Pet in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online and then a few weeks later I got an Initial screening call which was short and the caller was very nice. A week later I got a call from the HR coordinator and we scheduled an Interview call with the hiring manager, which lasted an hour and a half. It went well and we talked a lot about digital marketing. A week later I got a call from the HR coordinator to schedule a second interview. The following week I had a second interview with another team member doing the same job in their east coast office. He was very nice and we talked about the work, job environment, digital marketing and what was going on in that arena. That interview was an hour and a half.

I heard from HR a week later to schedule me for more interviews at their corporate office in CA. They arranged the flight, car to pick me up, and hotel. I flew in the night before the interview and the following morning was my interview. It lasted about five hours and was with several staff and management. They each spent time interviewing me for about 45 minutes to an hour. They were upper management like the Marketing Manager, Digital Marketing Manager, Division Manager, Hiring Manager, etc. Everyone was very nice and it was not stressful. It was a very long day, but worth it if I got the job.

I waited a week (maybe longer) and never heard back from them so I sent an email to my HR coordinator contact inquiring if they had filled the position. She must have forwarded it to the hiring manager because I immediately got my rejection email. That was disappointing to for me to prepare and invest so much of my time and to not get any contact until I reached out to them. It was also an investment of their time (staff) and money for my flight and hotel. The experience wasn't bad, just time consuming.

Interview Questions

• The job was in the Equine division so I got asked during my interviews if I owned and/or liked horses. I don't own a horse, but made it clear I love animals.   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Central Garden & Pet (Walnut Creek, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

They called me once to do an initial phone screen. I was then passed on to do a 30 minute phone interview with the marketing manager. I was called a few days later by HR inviting me to an in-person interview, which I was told would be a three-hour process and I would be meeting with three managers. I got a lot of attitude on my phone screen with case questions quickly fired at me, but wanted to check out the company so I went anyway.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to analyze a situation without all the details. Tell me about it, how you resolved it, and what the final outcome was.   1 Answer

The company told me they were experiencing exponential growth, however, their pitiful quarterly earnings were recently released, showing just how much trouble the company is in. I felt like I was lied to and deceived, and frankly, one man I interview with kept checking me out while I was speaking and trying to be professional. I refuse to support to someone who does that to me in an interview.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Central Garden & Pet in October 2013.

Interview

The recruiter was amazing

Negotiation

easy as my experience spoke for itself. I really just wanted to have my weeks of vacation come along with me and they agreed.