Central Garden & Pet Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Central Garden & Pet Interview Questions

Interviews at Central Garden & Pet

2.5

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Central Garden & Pet.

Interview

Easy phone and in-person interview. Phone call lasted about 20 minutes-the territory manager explained the position and asked basic questions. Was asked to meet at a local distributor where the territory manager explained what you'd do on a normal day.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you encountered a difficult issue or situation at work and how you solved it   Answer Question

Agronomist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Central Garden & Pet (Madison, GA) in June 2017.

Interview

Very professional and in depth. I participated in a phone pre-screening interview with talent acquisition, phone interview with head of research, and final interview with upper management of the division in which I was applying for a position. All were conducted in a very professional manner with excellent questions to enable me to provide the detailed information on my background/experience.

Interview Questions

• What was the reason I wanted to leave my current employment to pursue this position?   1 Answer

Associate Brand Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Central Garden & Pet in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online and then a few weeks later I got an Initial screening call which was short and the caller was very nice. A week later I got a call from the HR coordinator and we scheduled an Interview call with the hiring manager, which lasted an hour and a half. It went well and we talked a lot about digital marketing. A week later I got a call from the HR coordinator to schedule a second interview. The following week I had a second interview with another team member doing the same job in their east coast office. He was very nice and we talked about the work, job environment, digital marketing and what was going on in that arena. That interview was an hour and a half.

I heard from HR a week later to schedule me for more interviews at their corporate office in CA. They arranged the flight, car to pick me up, and hotel. I flew in the night before the interview and the following morning was my interview. It lasted about five hours and was with several staff and management. They each spent time interviewing me for about 45 minutes to an hour. They were upper management like the Marketing Manager, Digital Marketing Manager, Division Manager, Hiring Manager, etc. Everyone was very nice and it was not stressful. It was a very long day, but worth it if I got the job.

I waited a week (maybe longer) and never heard back from them so I sent an email to my HR coordinator contact inquiring if they had filled the position. She must have forwarded it to the hiring manager because I immediately got my rejection email. That was disappointing to for me to prepare and invest so much of my time and to not get any contact until I reached out to them. It was also an investment of their time (staff) and money for my flight and hotel. The experience wasn't bad, just time consuming.

Interview Questions

• The job was in the Equine division so I got asked during my interviews if I owned and/or liked horses. I don't own a horse, but made it clear I love animals.   Answer Question

Associate Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Central Garden & Pet (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

2 half-hour phone interviews; one with an HR Coordinator and another with the hiring manager. Both of these were to assess previous experience, personality, and why you would want to work for CG&P. Then a few weeks later 1:1 interviews with 3 separate people on the brand management team and 1 HR Coordinator. Each interview was about 45 minutes and consisted of behavioral questions regarding past successes.

Interview Questions

• No questions were difficult or unexpected. Be sure to know your background and have around 10 STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) answers and plenty of questions to ask yourself.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Slight negotiations but they have a tight budget so had to be practical.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Central Garden & Pet (Walnut Creek, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Short phone interview, then an in-person interview about a week later. Was questioned and quizzed briefly on technical skills. Specifically asked very on-the-surface questions about my experience working with big sales data, and not anything beyond that. No mention of Algorithms or data science.

Interview Questions

• Walkthrough of Educational background and what interested me about the position.   Answer Question

Assistant Brand Manager Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Central Garden & Pet.

Interview

The interview process was pretty standard. Interviewed with someone from HR first before interviewing with someone more involved in the role. The gal from HR was extremely nice, however she asked a lot of illegal questions (do you live alone, do you have a family you live with, do you rent or own a home etc.) that made me feel very uncomfortable and raised a red flag because HR should know better! I interviewed then with someone else within the company who seemed very involved in the role I was applying for. He was nice, but quickly seemed to become bored and disengaged in the interaction. He said they would get back to me by middle of the following week- which did not happen. I had an experience very similarly to another post below- I had contact information so I reached out to ask for an update etc. I got a rejection email from HR within a matter of just a couple of hours. Why tell an applicant a specific time to expect to hear from you and then not follow though- makes me wonder about the company as a whole. The whole process really left a bad taste in my mouth with how it was handled.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you produced results.   1 Answer
    • What can we do better as a company?   1 Answer
    • Why are you interested in Central?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Central Garden & Pet (Schaumburg, IL) in April 2013.

Interview

I was interviewed by the HR manager then my boss. The HR manager pretty much walked me through my resume very sweet and simple. My boss asked me more in-depth knowledge on my future job.

Interview Questions

• when I was asked about certain regulations I didn't know about.   Answer Question

I wanted to explore my other options

Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Central Garden & Pet (Dallas, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Received a call for phone interview(Screen out). That went well and then received a call to meet at a local establishment to interview in person. The interview went well and received a call days later to take drug screen test. Then received offer letter.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a merchandiser? Are you willing to travel? Do you mind working outdoors in all types of weather?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Easy process. Offered me the average salary for my area and I accepted it.

Middle Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Central Garden & Pet (Atlanta, GA) in December 2009.

Interview

I phone screened with Human Resources. Two weeks later the interviews where scheduled scheduled. This was quick compared to my other interview experiences this year. I interviewed with HR director, Hiring Manager and one of his colleagues. Everything was professional and mercifully rapid. My initial impressions were very positive, since I started these impressions have only been confirmed. The work culture here is progressive and oriented towards continuous improvement. Everyone seems interested in resolving big issues.

Interview Questions

• The questions where very straightforward and focused on my area of expertise. No one question really sticks out.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to fit my salary wants into the brackets set for the position. I am making almost exactly what I made in my last job. After more than 7 months of searching I feel fortunate that I found a job in the same salary and bonus ball park as my last job.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Central Garden & Pet (Walnut Creek, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

The process was very smooth, I initially had a phone screen with the HR group which involved my past experience, skills, why I want to work for the company, what interested me in the position, etc.

I was called in for my first in person interview at the company office which is fairly sizable given the amount of employees located at the corporate hq. Interviewed directly with the hiring manager, talked about the same stuff I did with HR. The hiring manager is very knowledgable and personable.

Went in the following week again for interviews with 7 people, which was extremely tiring but fascinating as I met with numerous members of the upper management and the executive team including the CFO. A wide array of questions were asked which I felt I did an above average job in answering.

Sadly, I didn't get the position, but they informed me that they would be willing to talk to me in person about the whole process which I politely declined. I was very impressed with the way the company is run and how they treat their potential candidates, they do more than 99% of all companies these days, and I let them know I really appreciated the extra effort they made in keeping contact with me the whole time.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Central Garden & Pet (Washington, DC) in May 2018.

Interview

applied online, got a call from the territory manager was asked to come in the next day. went in interview was super easy asked basic questions like tell me about yourself, why do you want to work for us? and stuff like that. very straight forward interview process.

Interview Questions

• how can you stop a customer from buying competitions product?   1 Answer