Central Market Cashier Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Central Market Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Oct 28, 2016

2.6

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Central Market (Fort Worth, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I was emailed to schedule a phone interview, and then invited to a group interview, and then I met with the service lead. The group interview consists of activities where you solve customer service issues, tests your food recognition, and sell a product.

Interview Questions

• -What do you know about Central Market?
    -Tell about a difficult customer service interaction and how you solved it
    -Tell about an incident in which you gave above and beyond customer service
    -Tell about a time in which you had a problem at work and had to talk with management.
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Central Market

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Central Market (Dallas, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

Was told it was a job fair. You are asked one by one to go in to a large room for a pre screening to see if you advance to next level-very few questions are asked. After you advance, you are then in a room with a group of applicants and department managers and a store manager ...there are a few tasks -that do not make sense, making a resume out of craft supplies??? Then, after everything is complete, you are asked to wait out in the lobby so the managers can discuss who they feel is a good fit. They divide the groups in to A and B -A means you're not hired. B means you move on. They stress out- you may not be a good fit, so don't be discouraged......

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Central Market.

Interview

Group interview: Told they've "lost" your resumes, make a new one out of craft supplies and then present it. Given cards with scenarios to discuss as a group. Identification of unlabeled food items, and then everyone is given one of those items to convince a "shopper" to buy. Given a card with 5 questions, everyone chooses to answer one.

Called back for second interview, which was more traditional. (What's your biggest weakness, etc.)

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Central Market (Fort Worth, TX).

Interview

First was quick, informal one on one interview. The 2nd one was a group interview with crafts, role playing, ingredient quiz.They want to see your passion for food and service. If you have right attitude and have fun its not bad. You do have to sell yourself. All the department and store managers participate.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about food related memories.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southlake, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Central Market (Southlake, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

I submitted an application online. They called me a day later to ask a few phone interview questions but it was rushed and she seemed frustrated as soon as she said "hello". I assumed she rushed me because she was tired of asking the same questions over the phone several times. She asked me to come in for a group interview the following day, 23 hours later. Five managers were there to interview/observe.
    I came in and the interview was set up like all other CM interviews discussed on Glassdoor.
    They kept thanking me after it was my turn to speak and they would attach my name at the end of their "thank you" each and every single time. I felt it was strange and felt their demeanor was condescending but I assumed I was being paranoid and ignored it.

I got an email the following Monday rejecting my application. It was for part time work as a cashier. I think it could have also been my age that played a role. Everyone interviewing was in their early 20s and I am 29. I read about ageism at CM a lot online but I assumed my work history would allow me to have access to the job.

I was the only dark-skinned person interviewing and I didn't notice any dark-skinned employs in the store or in management but I hope that was not an issue for them.

Interview Questions

• Make a resume out of markers and construction paper, and present to us who you are, why you want to work here and what you can offer Central Market.   Answer Question
    • A customer is upset about a product they insist they purchased here, what do you do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Central Market (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

Very different, Came together in a room and made our own resumes with arts and crafts supplies but we only had 5 min. to make them. Then we took a tour around the store and came back to a table full of weird foods and spices (Anise, romanesco, truffles) and were asked to identify each to the best of our ability. I had no idea at the time what most of them were i think i only got 6/10 right. Then they fed us. It was cool because as we took a tour around the store we got to select the foods we wished to try as our lunch.
    I got called back for a second interview which was very formal and unlike the first interview.

Interview Questions

• Questions about customer service and scenarios   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Central Market.

Interview

They really screwed me over many times. I do not recommend if you're trying to make a decent amount of money over the summer, whether it be full-time or part-time. Maybe it was our of their control, but when I submitted my background check, they told me it would take 2 days or so and then I'd be able to start orientation. So, I accepted that and moved to San Antonio relying on that. They kept me waiting past the 2 days, then 5 days, then a week....it ended up taking three weeks just for my background check to process (I've never committed a crime in my entire life). Then, after that, they scheduled an orientation a week later, so 4 weeks, then I went through cashier training (which was about 20 hours in one week), so I there ended up being a good 5-6 weeks after they hired me until I actually got to start working. The kicker? I start "actually working" next week, and they've only given me a measly 9 hours. 9 hours! They told me that I would be able to work 30 when they hired me. I'm kind of disgusted by how hard they screwed me over, and after a good 5 weeks of making me wait, I likely have to get another job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Central Market (Dallas, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Received a phone call at first and did a quick "interview" and then I was asked to attend a group interview where several activities and questions were given to the whole group.

Interview Questions

• What was one food that made an event special or a fond memory for you?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Central Market.

Interview

First you get a quick phone screening/interview, then if they're interested they'll invite you to a group interview, and if you do well in the group interview and they have a position open for you, they will set up a one on one interview (which at this point if you've been set up for a one on one, you're pretty much "IN" just do well answering your one on one questions and you should be offered a position!)

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Central Market.

Interview

There was a quick phone screening and then they set up a time for a group interview. They corralled as many people as they could (10+) and made the group interview that lasted a whooping three hours as impersonal as they could. Quite remarkable really. There was the "Make a resume with construction paper and markers!" We were forced back to pre-school and most people boasted about where they traveled and nothing to actually do with them or their resume. There was a "Identify This" test where there were really simple things like pumpkin seeds and nutmeg, a rambutan and such which I'd say the majority bombed. They also had us sell one of the products we identified to them 1 on 1. Then they gave us customer scenarios and paired us up and had us present them. Really simple things. From being with the others for three hours I learned I had the most qualified experiences (I'd worked in grocery before and been a cashier before and others were just getting out of college and had no real life experiences) and obviously realized this was something that hurt me in the end. They want people who have no aim, especially no career, people they can mold and force them into staying with Central Market for the rest of their lives.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions, just mainly ones that had nothing to do with the job or who a person really is. "Do you cook?"   1 Answer