Century 21 Department Stores Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Century 21 Department Stores Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2017

2.0

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

After filling out a lengthy online application, I received an email inviting me to interview the following morning. I arrived fully prepared, in proper interview attire (suit and tie), only to be subjected to 3 hours of group testing and interviewing alongside candidates mostly dressed to go to the gym and with little to no communication and interview skills. I was only asked a handful of questions, as most of the interview time was spent listening to the room full of 12 other candidates answer the same questions. My time would have been better served and respected with an individual interview.

I am personally disturbed at this new trend of group interviews, especially where personal questions are asked in a group setting (i.e. what is the highest level of education you've completed; why did you leave your last job).

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores (Brooklyn, NY).

Interview

After a day or two I was called back for an interview. It was a group interview with 3 other people. We started off with a math test. Once everyone was finished a hiring manager walked in and interview us. He did more of the talking than we actually did. After that he called each of us in one by one. Despite what I heard of being called in first means you didn't get the job. I was called in second and was asked a couple questions. Then he told me that I moved onto the next round which was a reference and background check. The reference check took two weeks however, I had to call them to be notified that I needed come in to sign papers for a background check. I was then told that once the background check was approved I'd be called with orientation dates. It's been about a week and they told me it would take a couple of days. So I'm not sure if they'll actually call me or if I'll have to call them again like I did after my reference check.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

1) Do not apply on the company website, go through an agency like Workforce1. They then gave me a list of available companies looking to hire, and I choose Century 21 in the Financial District. I went to a room to fill out their job application, and got an e-mail about being called back in a weeks time.

2) Got called back in a weeks time exactly and was scheduled for an interview the following morning at 9:30 AM. Dress professionally. You don't need to bring anything but a pen/pencil.

3) Waited in a small eating area for 10 mins while watching Jerry Springer, and was called in by bulk to take a 1 page math test on counting out change without a calculator. Double check it 2 and 3 times and don't make ONE tiny mistake. I doubled checked and noticed I counted out an extra nickle by accident and quickly corrected it on only 1 question, but everything else was spot on.

3) People who pass were called by a smaller bulk upstairs for a group interview. We took turns answering basic introductory interview questions such as educational history, pass relevant experience, and interest for working there. They don't seem to care about your history but only about your enthusiasm to work and your availability.

5) The interviewer brought the stack of resumes behind a door to review them after the group session (5 mins), then announced that they'd call certain people back in 30 days after you verify your availability and phone number. People who do this I don't believe will be getting called back, so if your one of them, start applying elsewhere and don't wait.

FYI. There is a very strong female in-group preference throughout the application process at Century 21. In my particular group interview session, I don't believe any of the men were called back. Furthermore, the women who worked there came off as the high schoolish gossipy type that can pull off a straight poker face and stab you in the back. If your a man applying, please dress professionally and have exceptional decorum and posture as you'll be competing with women. Best of luck!

Interview Questions

• Past work experience, education, and reason for working at Century 21. What are 2 qualities about yourself that your proud of. Also, what was the reason you left your previous employer.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

Did the online application...Got called for an interview the next week. The day after the call was the interview. Started with a large group of us taking a math test in the Human Resources office. Whoever passed the test stayed for the group interview. We were called 9 at a time up to the room for the group interview. I did well so I was offered to meet with a department manager that same day. Met with him & everything went well. He told me to go back to the HR room and the HR lady had me write down my references & she called one of them right then and there. After that she had me sign papers for my background check. A week later I got offered the position.

Merchandise Flow Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

Interview

Got interview by one of the HR assoiate then a second interview by the actual floor manager on the same day. They then tell you right there and then if you got the job and if you did they will tell you your next steps.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores.

Interview

I was called in and then we took a standard math test whoever passed the test was then able to move onto the group interview there they ask everyone the same questions and they pretty much tell you that if you have a specific schedule they most likely cannot accommodate you because they have set schedules for each deprtment.

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores (New York, NY).

Interview

Extremely unprofessional. Location looked like a garage.
    I was told that they will move to New Jersey and when I asked about the move he said I should be quiet because nobody in the company knows about the move.

Visual Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores (Bronx, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a long process. Something came up and they had to push the time back. It was to early for mistakes. But I wasn't upset. The rest of the process went by smooth and I actually enjoyed it.

Shift Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores (New York, NY).

Interview

The application is easy and the interview is a group setting by people who aren't interested in anyone but themselves. I came in was not properly greeted. Put in a group setting to take a math test, given my results and sent upstairs for a second round of interviews. after my group interview, I had a one on one interview. it went great and no follow up.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with managing associates?   1 Answer

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores (Brooklyn, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online through the Century 21 website they called me back for an interview in less than a week. The interview was a group of 4. First you're given a math test which was super easy. After the store manager and the HR manager interviewed us. We were all ask to hand in our resumes and make sure our references were accurate. The store manager said she would call our references to make sure our reference knew so that the process could go faster. After that cleared you would be called in to sign your background check. My references were indeed called and after my references spoke to the managers I was called back in to sign my background check. I went in today and now have to wait a week or more for my background check to be approved