Century 21 Department Stores Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 16, 2017

1.9

34 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

After filling out a lengthy online application, I received an email inviting me to interview the following morning. I arrived fully prepared, in proper interview attire (suit and tie), only to be subjected to 3 hours of group testing and interviewing alongside candidates mostly dressed to go to the gym and with little to no communication and interview skills. I was only asked a handful of questions, as most of the interview time was spent listening to the room full of 12 other candidates answer the same questions. My time would have been better served and respected with an individual interview.

I am personally disturbed at this new trend of group interviews, especially where personal questions are asked in a group setting (i.e. what is the highest level of education you've completed; why did you leave your last job).

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Century 21 Department Stores

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

1) Do not apply on the company website, go through an agency like Workforce1. They then gave me a list of available companies looking to hire, and I choose Century 21 in the Financial District. I went to a room to fill out their job application, and got an e-mail about being called back in a weeks time.

2) Got called back in a weeks time exactly and was scheduled for an interview the following morning at 9:30 AM. Dress professionally. You don't need to bring anything but a pen/pencil.

3) Waited in a small eating area for 10 mins while watching Jerry Springer, and was called in by bulk to take a 1 page math test on counting out change without a calculator. Double check it 2 and 3 times and don't make ONE tiny mistake. I doubled checked and noticed I counted out an extra nickle by accident and quickly corrected it on only 1 question, but everything else was spot on.

3) People who pass were called by a smaller bulk upstairs for a group interview. We took turns answering basic introductory interview questions such as educational history, pass relevant experience, and interest for working there. They don't seem to care about your history but only about your enthusiasm to work and your availability.

5) The interviewer brought the stack of resumes behind a door to review them after the group session (5 mins), then announced that they'd call certain people back in 30 days after you verify your availability and phone number. People who do this I don't believe will be getting called back, so if your one of them, start applying elsewhere and don't wait.

FYI. There is a very strong female in-group preference throughout the application process at Century 21. In my particular group interview session, I don't believe any of the men were called back. Furthermore, the women who worked there came off as the high schoolish gossipy type that can pull off a straight poker face and stab you in the back. If your a man applying, please dress professionally and have exceptional decorum and posture as you'll be competing with women. Best of luck!

Interview Questions

• Past work experience, education, and reason for working at Century 21. What are 2 qualities about yourself that your proud of. Also, what was the reason you left your previous employer.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

Did the online application...Got called for an interview the next week. The day after the call was the interview. Started with a large group of us taking a math test in the Human Resources office. Whoever passed the test stayed for the group interview. We were called 9 at a time up to the room for the group interview. I did well so I was offered to meet with a department manager that same day. Met with him & everything went well. He told me to go back to the HR room and the HR lady had me write down my references & she called one of them right then and there. After that she had me sign papers for my background check. A week later I got offered the position.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores (New York, NY).

Interview

You do a series of math questions. You can only get 3 wrong. I think it's 10 questions from what I remember. Then you wait for the manager to call you and a few others for a group interview. Manager told certain people they'll get a call but in reality they won't. Those who stay get a job. They let u now to come back for a training.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores.

Interview

It was very quick. Got called for an interview 5 days after applying online. The interview was a group interview. it was about 8 of us. It lasted for about 1 hour. Some people where told to leave and they will contact then to let them know if they got the job. Some were asked to stay to clarify some things. The ones that were asked to stay including myself, were told we got the job.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores in January 2016.

Interview

Two people leading the interviews. About 12 people getting interviewed. Asked everyone their name and went around and asked about 5 or 6 questions. Asked two people to step out in the end.

Interview Questions

• a time you had to deal with a bad customer,how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question
    • why would you like to work for century21?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Westbury, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores (Westbury, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

Applied online got called for a phone screening then offered an interview. Interview consisted of a basic math test and then a few regular questions (describe past experience). Then they contacted my references and was called back for training.

Interview Questions

• What was your past experience and how does it prepare you for this role.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores.

Interview

i was sat in a room with a bunch of other girls and we were all given some math sheet. it was easy. HR and corporate staff were unprofessional and already got the feeling that they dont really care about their employees. The interview was short and to the point. She asked me about my retail experience. I didn't have a lot and i think thats why i probably didnt get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Do you see yourself working on the floor or register? Why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

its a group interview. they ask you basic question but not everyone will be answer all questions depending on the amount of persons in the group. the questions are based on diversity, productivity and willingness. if hired there is a 2 day training coarse non-paid

Interview Questions

• what's your best quality?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

the interview was done in a group forum. About 7/8 of us interviewed at the same time. a question was asked and each person had an opportunity to answer. It was nerve wracking because you had to try your hardest not to sound like you are stealing someone else's answer. The interviewer was stone faced and seemed to be barely listening to us. Most people answered fairly well in my estimation. After she asked about 4 questions, she called a few names and thanked those people for coming and told them she would be in touch. She then proceeded to congratulate the remaining few (including me) on the new position being offered.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you successfully dealt with a difficult customer   Answer Question