Cerner Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sign Up for FREE in seconds to unlock millions of salaries and reviews

Cerner Interview Questions

Updated May 18, 2018
1,726 Interview Reviews

2.7

1. Featured Interview

Consulting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in June 2016.

Interview

Overall a very professional process. I applied online for the position and received an email for a phone interview a few days later. The phone interview was relaxed, a sort of "get to know you" type of interview. My recruiter basically went over my resume, told me a bit about Cerner, and asked me a couple of basic questions about why I applied for the position.

Right after my phone interview, I received an invitation to go to KC for an in person interview. I accepted and was flown down to KC on a Thursday and interviewed the following Friday. There were about 20 other candidates who were all being interviewed for the same position (there were multiple openings for the position). Cerner made the interview feel very professional and informative. I learned what the position was about, we got to ask questions about working at Cerner, and we got to speak with current consulting analysts about what they do at Cerner.

The actual interview was 2 one-on-one sessions with current employees. The questions were basic behavioral questions, and before you go to your interviews, Cerner will tell you to answer in the STAR format. If you study over the questions on Glassdoor and do a quick google search on STAR questions, you'll get a really good idea of the type of questions to expect. At the end of the second interview, you have to give a presentation to your interviewer. The point of the presentation is to get to know your presentation style.

They told us that we would hear back from them in 2 weeks regarding a decision, but I had another offer so I told my recruiter that. My recruiter was very accommodating and made me an offer within a week. I really enjoyed Cerner's professionalism and the nature of the job, so I accepted it.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to work through a complicated task.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

I applied online and then got contacted by the recruiter for a phone screening, which was just going over the resume. After this, there was a coding challenge, which was just to check if you know what the loops and conditional statements are i.e. too easy.

After the coding challenge they invited me for an onsite interview. They arrange your flight, stay, food, and even give you Kansas City tour which is nice. The interview is pretty easy. No coding questions were asked, just a few object-oriented design questions (which you can find in almost every review on Glassdoor). Everything went well, and I was sure that I will get an offer.

However, I got a rejection call after a week. No reason given. Turned out, every "guy" who was part of a group of interviewees got rejected. But every "girl" got selected. Earlier, I talked to few girls post-interview, and they said interview went horribly, and they surely are going to get rejected. This triggered some red flags.

I started messaging everyone from my class/university/friend list who went through their interview process and surprise surprise. Almost every guy got rejected, and no girl is rejected. I am not saying they are discriminating based on the gender. But if they are, they should be careful not be blatant about it. Maybe my sample space is small, giving me such a perception of this company. But there were good programmers I personally know with 3-4 years of experience, who got rejected.

I may sound a bit salty about they rejecting me. But to be honest, the interview was so stupidly easy to bomb. This review is only to let everyone know that, even if you top the interview, don't be sad if they reject you.

Interview Questions

• Object-oriented design questions (for ex. patient class, nurse class, medication class etc.)   2 Answers

Engagement Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

The interview took place over a couple of hours, and I had three different interviewers rotate in to speak to me. While they each had different tactics, I don't recall the interview questions as difficult or surprising.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

Started out with standard 20 minute phone screen interview. Then a couple weeks later brought into a campus for three short 15-minute back to back interviews with 3 different support analyst managers. All were friendly and asked pretty standard questions, they were aware this is an entry-level job. Heard back very quickly, within a week, that I had gotten the job

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to use a technical system

Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a co-worker   Answer Question

Academy Software Engineer Interview Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Cerner in May 2018.

Interview

I have applied through employee referral. In two days i got a mail to schedule for HR interview.
    HR interview was for about 30 mins. The questions were simple and pretty straight forward. It was easy.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Gainesville, FL) in May 2018.

Interview

1st round was telephonic, 2nd was a coding round conducted through Hireview where there were 3 questions(1 behavioural and 2 coding), have final round tomorrow which will also be through hireview

Interview Questions

• 1st round: resume, experience, salary discussion
      2nd: coding round
         3 questions(1 behavioural and 2 coding)
         * Recent technology I learnt and my approach towards learning it
         * given a sentence remove all vowels
         * given a set of integers both positive and negative, find number of quadruplets in which
            the numbers add up to 0   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner in May 2018.

Interview

Very similar to what others mentioned in terms of the interview for this position. The recruiter I talked to was pretty nice and accommodating. The steps include a phone interview, a coding test, as well as a final on-site interview. In my case, I had a digital interview. Glassdoor is pretty helpful if you want to know the types of questions that are asked.

Since they ask class design questions, make sure you can design classes and can provide some reasoning behind your designs. Also, prepare for behavioral questions since some of the questions are a bit tricky to answer on the spot. In my case, I just made a Google doc of common behavioral questions and wrote what I did in those situations. That way, I can easily remember the situations and avoid having to think back for an extended period during the actual interview.

For the coding portion, the questions were not that hard. The second question I had was a common dynamic programming problem which you can easily solve if you practice those types of problems. Even if you don't solve it perfectly, your reasoning behind the code is also important. All in all, preparing beforehand will make you feel confident during the actual interviews. I don't know if you will believe me but as a christian I prayed for a job and despite all other rejections, I was able to get this job so I just want to say being prayerful also gets you places if you believe, so I would like to thank god as well. Have a blessed day!

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest problem you faced and how did you solve it?   4 Answers

Customer Solutions Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

First round phone interview, lasted 20 minutes, moved me on to second round in person interviews. Second rounds consist of 3 30 minute 1 on 1. He spoke a lot about what the job consists of, but it mostly just sounded like vague job posting speech

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

If you do the normal interviews in the fall, Cerner will invite you for a weekend to come and interview. They will provide an optional dinner and then interviews the following morning. Come to the dinner to talk with the other consultants to get to know what the job is actually like. Cerner's interviews are very informative, and help paint a picture of what the job will actually be like. I had two separate interviews with two different managers, and both asked behavioral type questions, so come prepared with answers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked with a difficult person and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What was the biggest risk you've ever taken in your life?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you were assigned a task you were uncomfortable with in work or school, and how you overcame it.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to work with a person you disagreed with, and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Academy Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

Only go to the phone interview stage. Interviewer was nice, and it was fairly straightforward. Would recommend potential applicants to brush up on the concepts covered by the interview question below. Good experience overall.

Interview Questions

• What are enums, strings, and integers, and give an example of each   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in April 2018.

Interview

There are 3 rounds of interviews. Overall, it took 1 month for the process.

1st interview: phone interview with the recruiter. The recruiter was really nice.
    2nd interview: technical online coding with 2 coding problems. The coding test is conducted on CodeVue, and it wasn't bad.
    3rd interview: on-site interview to make 2 class design. My first interview went well, but not so much on my second interview (My interviewer seemed to have a bad day!). Your interviewer can make your interview good or bad, so be prepared to handle this situation! I didn't prepare to handle a unique situation like this, so it didn't go so well for me.

Interview Questions

• 1st Interview: behavioral questions, question about resume, and salary expectation.   1 Answer
    • 2nd Interview - Q1: Create an empty string and first compare your y coordinates (because the two-letter direction always starts with 'N' or 'S'). Add 'N' or 'S' only if y coordinates are not equal (because if they equal, the direction is either 'E', 'W' or 'here'). Then do the same with x coordinates. If they are not equal, 'E' or 'W' will be added to the string.   1 Answer
    • 2nd Interview - Q2: You are given 3 coins of value 1, 3 and 5. You are also given a total which you have to arrive at. Find the minimum number of coins to arrive at it.   1 Answer
    • 3rd Interview 1 - Q1-Q2: Behavioral questions such as Tell me about a time when you dealt with a group project teammate who was not contributing.   3 Answers
    • 3rd Interview 1 - Q3: concurrent problem   1 Answer
    • 3rd Interview 1 - Q4: Create a Notifier class for notifying nurses when they should give medicine to their patients. Given API methods   1 Answer
    • 3rd Interview 2 - Q1-Q2: Behavioral questions such as How to deal with busy schedule, and memorable bug   1 Answer
    • 3rd Interview 2 - Q3: when to use automation and explain   1 Answer
    • 3rd Interview 2 - Q4: Create a Temperature class for recording patients temperatures and notifying if they have a fever   3 Answers