Cerner Cerner: Velocity Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,524 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Featured Interview

Consulting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in June 2016.

Interview

Overall a very professional process. I applied online for the position and received an email for a phone interview a few days later. The phone interview was relaxed, a sort of "get to know you" type of interview. My recruiter basically went over my resume, told me a bit about Cerner, and asked me a couple of basic questions about why I applied for the position.

Right after my phone interview, I received an invitation to go to KC for an in person interview. I accepted and was flown down to KC on a Thursday and interviewed the following Friday. There were about 20 other candidates who were all being interviewed for the same position (there were multiple openings for the position). Cerner made the interview feel very professional and informative. I learned what the position was about, we got to ask questions about working at Cerner, and we got to speak with current consulting analysts about what they do at Cerner.

The actual interview was 2 one-on-one sessions with current employees. The questions were basic behavioral questions, and before you go to your interviews, Cerner will tell you to answer in the STAR format. If you study over the questions on Glassdoor and do a quick google search on STAR questions, you'll get a really good idea of the type of questions to expect. At the end of the second interview, you have to give a presentation to your interviewer. The point of the presentation is to get to know your presentation style.

They told us that we would hear back from them in 2 weeks regarding a decision, but I had another offer so I told my recruiter that. My recruiter was very accommodating and made me an offer within a week. I really enjoyed Cerner's professionalism and the nature of the job, so I accepted it.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to work through a complicated task.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Cerner

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in June 2017.

Interview

Has 3 rounds , HR call , hire vue video conference of 1 hr , fly to kansas city for a face to face interview lasting 2 hours . Received the offer after 2 weeks . The entire process took nearly a month to 45 days .

Interview Questions

• The HR interview last for nearly 15-30 mins . where she goes around your resume and asks basic questions about your profile which are easy and doable . HR also gives the approx joining date and salary details for the position. Was told directly that i will be having a video round next week . The video conference is more technical in nature and you are interviewed by a Software Architect . They have a fixed pattern of questions and except exact answers for most questions . The questions involve prior experience with bugs , project deployment , and few tech questions . You are given a question to code on a white board . which is to design a class . The biggest mistake which i felt candidates are doing here are they are taking the design for granted the interviewer is seeing you idea of using OOps concepts and design principle or pattern which can be used to solve the problem . I received the onsite invitation after a hour of the interview . Went to Kansas on June 1st and was interviewed there . The whole interview process is laid back and they make sure we are comfortable . Was asked to design a Temperature class for recording Temp for every hour (Used a circular queue which the interviewer liked ) ,a question about log case situation having thread id and process id( glass door has the question posted can refer it if needed) , Was asked to write a scheduler method for the told class , it was a difficult question as they are expecting us to know the calender and date class , Apart from these you will be asked a lot of other tech questions on OOPS, OS , ALGOS ,Data Structs . A lot of situational and behavior questions are also asked . Recieved the call from HR after 2 weeks . She asked for my transcripts before giving the offer .   7 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

One of the best interview processes. Really systematic and clear.
    1st round HR(about 15 min)
    2nd round HireView interview.
    Onsite 2 rounds 1 hr each.
    I went through all the glassdoor questions for academy software engineer. 90% I was asked the same. I will give a detailed list of questions and other tips soon. Will update this space. Till then a brief look at Glassdoor questions should help.

Interview Questions

• Hr: difference between class and object with example.
      HireView:
      -you have 5 bugs. how will you prioritize?
      -how do you learn new technical things? what is your approach?
      -allergy class design(will update this post to give detail question)
      -person demographic class design(will update this post to give detail question)

Onsite:
      -be confident with your resume. They ask you to explain your internships, work ex and projects in detail.
      -nurse notification class design

Round2
      -resume again
      -Temperature class design   1 Answer

Academy Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

HR Phone Interview was conducted through email, and the Codevue interview came. Lots of technical questions about OOPs and behavioral questions. Be prepared to know the basics of those.

Solutions Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

Phone interview... they go over salary. It's very low! And after that the interviewer didn't listen... just get me off phone .

They explained the no overtime policy and 100%travel requirement

Interview Questions

• Time when you were challenged by an employee   1 Answer

Academic Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in August 2017.

Interview

Got an email from the recruiter today, August 15, offering me to apply for the position, Academic Software Engineer. Not aware about the rest. Writing my comments about the interview process to get the full access to glassdoor.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, KS) in August 2017.

Interview

Had a phone interview with a recruiter for about 15 minutes about work experience and what coding languages i knew. After that i had a virtual interview with 3 teams for 1 hour each.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you found a bug and how did you solve it.
      About previous work experiences   Answer Question

Technical Solutions Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

I applied through referral for technical solution analyst position. Got an email from HR saying she would like to schedule an interview and after I replied to her, she dint confirm for a week. Later she confirmed and did the HR round with the star questions and gave me positive feedback saying she would like to consider me for other positions. She told me she will get back within a week and even after a month she dint get back.
    Cerner being one of the top most healthcare companies, I dint know they were so unprofessional like this.
    Feedback to recruiting team: Please be professional and follow some rules.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

Got interview from job fair. Online interview that for some odd reason included that i be on a phone as well as be on a webcam. No idea why a computer microphone was not an option. First interview was rescheduled due to connection errors with their interview technology. Second interview i get a person who did not speak English very well. Interviewer was also rude and condecending. Did not allow me to elaborate on answers to questions. Overall very unprofessional. Do not recommend this company to anyone.

Interview Questions

• Create a class. Really easy but be warned the interview technology will be buggy and randomly delete large lines of answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in July 2017.

Interview

3 rounds of interviews.
    First round was a call from the recruiter checking the graduation date, location and the package. Basic java questions and a brief explanation of the most recent work experience.
    Second round was on hirevue where the Allergy class question was asked. A lot of behavioral and design level questions on internships and work experience.
    Third round consisted of two rounds where the Medication, notification to nurse, the temperature class and deadlock questions were asked. But be prepared to answer a lot of questions on programming basics for about half of both the interviews. Lots of behavioral questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview experience was wonderful. The interviewers were very friendly, they made me feel comfortable and gave good insights on my solutions.
     1st round - Phone interview, If they like you then they'll fly you to Kansas city for final round. Final round- 3 rounds, 1 hour each of face-to-face coding / technical interviews with three different teams.
    Kudos to the team of recruiters who make the interview process and the experience hassle free and easy.

Interview Questions

• Data Structures , Behavioral/ Technical questions, System Design, Java technical questions   2 Answers