Cerner Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

1. Featured Interview

Consulting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in June 2016.

Interview

Overall a very professional process. I applied online for the position and received an email for a phone interview a few days later. The phone interview was relaxed, a sort of "get to know you" type of interview. My recruiter basically went over my resume, told me a bit about Cerner, and asked me a couple of basic questions about why I applied for the position.

Right after my phone interview, I received an invitation to go to KC for an in person interview. I accepted and was flown down to KC on a Thursday and interviewed the following Friday. There were about 20 other candidates who were all being interviewed for the same position (there were multiple openings for the position). Cerner made the interview feel very professional and informative. I learned what the position was about, we got to ask questions about working at Cerner, and we got to speak with current consulting analysts about what they do at Cerner.

The actual interview was 2 one-on-one sessions with current employees. The questions were basic behavioral questions, and before you go to your interviews, Cerner will tell you to answer in the STAR format. If you study over the questions on Glassdoor and do a quick google search on STAR questions, you'll get a really good idea of the type of questions to expect. At the end of the second interview, you have to give a presentation to your interviewer. The point of the presentation is to get to know your presentation style.

They told us that we would hear back from them in 2 weeks regarding a decision, but I had another offer so I told my recruiter that. My recruiter was very accommodating and made me an offer within a week. I really enjoyed Cerner's professionalism and the nature of the job, so I accepted it.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to work through a complicated task.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

The onsite interview process was split into 2 parts.
    Part 1 was the company overview, which was essentially trying to sell the prospective employees on working for Cerner. They tried to impress us by showing us their "best" conference rooms, which apparently were the best because meetings in them resulted in the highest success rate for sales. They also showed us the campus. It was fairly impressive, but we were warned that if we weren't dressed in business formal, we couldn't walk around on the main level of the campus, because potential clients might see us.
    Part 2 consisted of the actual in person interviews. These were fairly normal, where we talked with several different people and they asked us technical questions.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any really difficult or unexpected questions. They appeared to be looking for people who had a fairly solid understanding of computer programming, but who also would do exactly as they were told. By the end it felt like they were trying to hire a bunch of additional cogs, rather than people who could bring their individual talents and expertise to the table.   Answer Question

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Interviews are pretty easy and straight forward. but only thing, I did not knew was that they consider GPA as well

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cerner in July 2012.

Interview

Recruiter emailed me after reviewing my application online. Did phone interview and decided to bring me to Kansas City for 1:1 interview with three managers. I interviewed with three people, they were a white male, a white female and Asian lady. When I was done the recruiter told me that she will get back to me by the end of the week but I never heard from her, then I gave her a call a week later she told me that she was still waiting to hear back from HR and that she will call me before the end of that day or the next day, she never called me. So I let that week pass when I still didn't hear from her by next Monday I decided to call her again by then it's been two weeks since my interview,
    I called her and left her a voicemail she didn't return my call until the following day I called again and left her a message because I needed to know whether I got the job or not so that I can move on with other companies, so later on that afternoon she finally called me and told me that I was not selected for the position as a consultant and that I should continue looking in their website for any other position that I might be qualified for. "Hello" I did not apply for any Consultant postion last time I check it was"Entry level Systems Engineer" . I was totally shocked as I know met all the requirements for the position but I definitely know why I was denied the postion is because the people that I interviewed me were "RACIST" they didn't want to move forward because I'm black African and I have an accent. But that's alright that's the hurdles I face every single day as a black person and to make it worst I'm African. Although the mean recruiter that I was dealing with was not the recruiter that first contacted me, that recruiter was so nice if she was still there I'm defintely sure I wouldn't have been treated like that because she was so nice and very prompt. She left Cerner the same day I had the interview at Cerner she got another job.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when your computer is running slow.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

A typical HR interview over phone then she invited me for an on-site interview. HR told me that usually they conduct interviews two times a month for a group of potential employees and everything was taken care by Cerner.

Interview Questions

• The interview process is pretty simple. I had 3 on-site interviews and all of them were a combination of technical and behavioral questions. Each one of the interviewers were given a set of questions and they were asking questions only from that pool which you can find with a simple google search.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate but they couldn't change anything at least in my case. I could at least say that they are open to it.

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

First was a HR interview with the basic questions based on the resume. Later a phone interview was set up for a technical round by a senior software engineer. The question were pretty simple. OOPS, normalization of databases, print last k lines of a file, binary tree with cerner as nodes. Later i was called on campus. The interview was pretty simple again and the same question from glassdoor nothing new. In another 4 days I got the offer!

Low Salary, Not willing to move to Kansas City

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

Very easy. had three rounds of interviews and all they asked were behavioral based questions

Interview Questions

Negotiation

easy

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I my first on-campus interview through a college recruitment event. The on-campus interview was a fairly simple, technical interview.
    After that, they called me in to their HQ @ Kansas City for two more interviews, one behavioral and one technical.

The technical interview was a little more advanced and in-depth than the college one. I was asked to write and explain some psedo-code as well as concepts of relational DB, OOP etc.

Then the behavioral interview was better. Questions like:
    - Describe a time when you dealt with a tough manager and a tough client.
    - Describe a time when you lead a team or were a big contributor in a team.

Interview Questions

• - Pseudo-code was handed and was asked what it did and what were the problems in it.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Interview

They call you to set up a time for the phone interview. Phone interview is basically them asking situation questions. If they like you at that point, they will invite you for an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation when you weren't given enough time to complete a task.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

The hiring and interview process went pretty well. I had 3 interviews by 3 different people. One at my university and then the others were at Cerner's Experience Cerner Day. The process was nice as they put me in a very nice hotel, reimbursed my gas for travel and paid for my food. The first interview was very relaxed and more of the "getting to know you" format and then the other two were more intense. They ask a lot of behavioral and situational questions that start off with "describe a time when..." and "If "this" happened what would you do and why". They really seemed to just want to know that you portrayed confidence and that you were able to adapt and learn quickly. If you prepare and watch youtube videos they have online about Cerner interviewing then you should not have issues and it should go well.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There isn't much negotiating. Seems to be a take it or leave it ordeal. You are given 2 weeks to accept or decline.

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Interview pretty easy. Just follow previous glassdoor posts.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer was rude.... not showing interest to listen at all   Answer Question