Cerner Interview Questions in Kansas City, MO | Glassdoor

2.6

767 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Technical Solutions Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in March 2017.

Interview

The day of the interview, I and about 13 others were shuttled to Cerner's Continuous Campus, where we were given a presentation about the company and the position. Afterwards we were split into two groups, one that went straight to interviews, and one that did the campus tour first. The interviews consisted of two, 45 minute interviews. They were one-on-one with current employees. The interview environment was very relaxed and conversational. All of the questions I was asked were STAR/behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time where you had to adapt to a change in a project and how did the project go?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in March 2017.

Interview

After I applied online in March 2017, 2 days later I got a phone call to set up a phone interview with a recruiter. The interview with the recruiter was about my resume, why I chose to apply at Cerner, and a behavioral question.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to prioritize 2 tasks at once, and how did you do it?   Answer Question

Engagement Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in March 2017.

Interview

30 minute phone screen followed by three 30 minute in person interviews in KC a few weeks later. Everyone was professional and the trip was top notch. The interview as very conversational. You should be prepared to speak to your resume and apply your experience to what they are looking for.

Interview Questions

• They ask you to speak to your resume. Tell me about a time that you had to coach a team member through a difficult situation.   Answer Question

Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online through a referral from an existing Cerner employee. Within a few days, I was contacted by a recruiter who asked generic behavior-oriented questions.

The recruiter was very candid about the salary expectations for this role, which didn't seem to align with the job description as written. I assured the recruiter that I was willing to table the issue, which we could address later if I was offered the job.

The in-person interview took place on the following week, and was conducted by two hiring managers, back to back, about 45 minutes each. I was surprised to learn that the role they were hiring for didn't match the job description, and concerns I had about the experience requirements were not really needed for that job.

Following my interviews, the recruiter contacted me a week later to state that while both interviewers thought I was a great fit for the organization, and had positive feedback about me as a candidate, they elected to offer the job to someone else.

The recruiter offered to share my resume with her peers and pass along the positive feedback I'd received from the hiring managers.

All in all, everyone I spoke with was pleasant and helpful, and did a great job walking me through the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Generic behavioral/situational questions. Resume review. No technical questions. Questions about the candidates knowledge of the organization didn't come up.   1 Answer

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in March 2017.

Interview

I approached a Cerner Recruiter at a career fair at my school in February. A few days after the career fair I was contacted because they wanted me to come to KC for "Experience Cerner" Day. I accepted and went to KC for it almost a month later. They paid for my gas, put me in an expensive hotel on the plaza, and took us all out to dinner the night before. It was very fun and comfortable. The next day we went to WHQ and listened to a presentation for an hour. Then we had 2, 30 minute 1 on 1interviews. All of the questions were STAR based and very easy. Extremely easy going and fun to talk to. They said I would find out in 2 weeks or less if I got the job and I found out 5 days later. I did a background check and a drug test yesterday.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you excelled at something you didn't enjoy?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a great experience, I drove about 3.5 hours, checked into a super nice hotel they paid for, went on a tour of Kansas City, and had a great dinner, all on Cerner's dime. The next day we were picked up from our hotel by a bus and were taken to the Cerner Headquarters. We got a tour of the campus and I had my interview. I had 2 rounds of 30 min. interviews and in the second one I had to give a quick 15 min. presentation, which they warned me about weeks in advance. They ended up giving me $150 in Visa gift cards to cover gas which was more than enough.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you solved a problem as part of a team   Answer Question

Technical Engagement Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, KS).

Interview

Three interviews in one day @ approx 45 minutes each. Typical behavior questions. Leading up to the interview, Cerner was pleasant, on top of things, and very much engaging. After the interview, not so much. Asked for some feedback and it was scripted. At first I was disappointed that I didn't get the job because it sounded like an awesome role, however, was probably a blessing in disguise. Thankful for unanswered prayers. All I can say: Take the time to ensure that you show yourself off. Don't let the interviewer hijack the interview to show you all the cool stuff about Cerner. Be polite but assertive in order to show your talents. Looking back on my interview - I wish I would've taken more time to be assertive - but - it's their loss and I am thankful. I think its a great company, but won't apply there again.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenging situation with a direct report and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in January 2017.

Interview

Interviewed started with the recruiter reaching out and asked me for open times for a phone interview. The interview focused on behavioral questions and simple technical questions regarding OOD. Then asked about my offers, so she sped up the schedule and arranged interviews for me virtually. Second round was one 1hour interview with a Team Lead, asked me to design a class with OOD, he wants to see how you think and ask about team behavioral questions. Third round is two 1hour interview with Software Engineers at Cerner, both also involves designing a class, but a bit tougher this round. Asked a lot about adding new functions or fixing upon a situation, also asked about technical situations you should prepare for. Normally you would fly out for third interview. Got an offer couple days later.

Interview Questions

• First Interview: about projects, about work experience, about handling feedback, about how you feel about programming and why you chose your major   Answer Question
    • Second Interview : Design an allergy class with name and severity of patient and how would you add it to a patient class. Asked about debugging skills and parameter checking   Answer Question
    • Third Round: Design a medication class dealing with dosages, quantity, duration, start, end date, so on and so forth. Handle situations with dealing with duration vs as needed meds. Technical questions on possibly bugs and how would you handle   Answer Question
    • Third Round Part Two: Design a temperature class dealing with temperature, and how do distinguish when someone has a fever or their temperature is higher than normal. Asked about situations dealing with a time when you understand a project to group members of different fields or differently from one member to another. Asked about past most frustrating bug. Asked about how you would figure out an error without debugger   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied on the careers website and heard back two days later from a recruiter requesting a phone interview. I had a phone interview with my recruiter the next week where she asked typical questions about why you want to work at Cerner, STAR questions, and going over your resume. At the end of the interview, she invited me to Cerner Experience Day.
    The next week I got an invitation to choose my date for Cerner Experience Day and notice to prepare a 10 minute presentation. Two weeks later, they flew me out on a Thursday afternoon to Kansas City and put me up in a hotel downtown. In the morning they bussed a group of ~20 of us to World Head Quarters. They took us to a room where we waited between events and where we could keep our stuff. First they gave a presentation on what the Consulting Academy [training] would be like. Then we went to our interviews. The interviews were one on one with current consultants. They used a packet of STAR questions they were supposed to ask. It was very relaxed and the interviewers were very friendly. You give your presentation during your second interview. They are really looking for you presentation style. Although the instructions say that you can bring notes, my interviewer told me she was very impressed that I did not use any. Make sure you make good eye-contact as well.
    After the interviews, they took us on a quick tour of the campus and then sent us back to the airport. They told us we would hear back two weeks later and I did hear back exactly two weeks later on a Friday afternoon. The typical length of time you have to get back to them is ~2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to make a difficult decision   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you did not perform as well as you wanted   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to facilitate a new process/change   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online through a referral from an alum, additionally I had a reference written by an alum which helped my resume stand out. Had an over the phone interview a few weeks later. At the end of the conversation my recruiter invited me for an "Experience Cerner" day. They flew me out on a Thursday for interviews on Friday. They gave us(about 20 other candidates for multiple open positions) a short informational presentation regarding Cerner. Next the led us to private rooms where our interviewers entered. I had two back to back 30 minute STAR interviews. The packet each interview has literally has the word STAR across the page. After my second interview I stayed in the room and gave a 15 minute presentation to my second interviewer. The topic didn't matter. They simply wanted to see my presentational style. Afterwards we had a quick campus tour and then we were sent home. They said the would contact us within two weeks and I got my job offer after one week. Excited to start working in a few months!

Interview Questions

• All STAR method questions. Why do you want to work for Cerner? How did you hear about Cerner?   Answer Question