Cerner Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 20, 2017

2.7

315 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in November 2017.

Interview

Had a technical interview at Grace Hopper Conference, and then was invited to an onsite interview. Everything went really well - they were very hospitable and gave us a tour of Kansas City too. The interview was definitely on the easier side of technical interviews - just show some confidence and have basic coding skills and I think you'll be fine.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Cerner

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in November 2017.

Interview

3 Stage interview at Cerner.
    1 - Phone interview with HR. Asked about basic data types and behavioral questions
    2- Step 2 Codevue interview. 4 questions with video recording
    3 - onsite 2 hr interview with 2 different recruiters.

Interview Questions

• Nurse notification class and temperature class. Behavioral questions   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

1. phone call from HR -basic behavioural and background questions
    2. online coding test - 3 coding questions in 45 min. two 15 min ques ad 1 30 min que including a behavioural question of 2 min.
    3. final interview - scheduled , will post after interview

Interview Questions

• more on strings, arrays, datastructures(stack)   7 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Initial view is a video coding challenge.

Really bad experience with hirevue. It is not testing the coding ability at all. The testing thing is really confusing and questions are pretty long and tedious.

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

I had 3 hours and 3 round interview with 3 different software architects. They were from different teams working on different technologies. All of them had whiteboard coding/design questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in October 2017.

Interview

I interviewed with Cerner on Sep 28, 2017.
    I was contacted by a recruiter who connected me to a Cerner recruiter.
    She took a screening round asking me about my education and work background and told about the position. She asked some questions like what is enum, array, strings and what data type to use when you want to store a person's address.

Next she sent a Coding Hirevue challenge which is supposed to be done in 5 days. It is a 60 min challenge of two 15min questions and 1 30 minutes coding questions.

1. Write a program to give the number of ways to get the result 32 by performing+, - , * , / on a array of numbers. (30min)
    2. 2 more programs(15min) , relatively easier based on string/array manipulations.

2-3 days later I received a mail to schedule an onsite interview at Kansas City, MO. I was given 2 dates to chose from. They arranged travel and lodging for us.

The Onsite Interview process was very smooth and well planned.
    They gave us a 1 hour bus city tour and dinner at Cerner a day before interview process. Also a Campus tour and lunch with Cerner associates after the interviews.

The onsite interview consisted of two 1 hour rounds with 1 interviewer each.
    It had 30 min of tech and 30 min of behavioral parts.
    Lot of questions from glassdoor especially the coding part.
    They asked to do some whiteboard coding.
    1. Design a Temp Class which takes input as C, F or K and also consider the part of body from which temp is measured. Give a result through a method whether the patient has fever or not.

2. Design a Medication Notification class where the nurse is notified to give patient a medicine based on his dosage schedule, 4times a day for a week etc. Also design a method in which if the patient had to take a medicine only when needed.

3. Tell us about a difficult experience at your workplace you had explaining your solution.
    4. How did you deal with criticism, talk about an incident.
    5. Have you ever done any mentor ship, talk about it.
    6. Favorite Projects, challenges, teamwork.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was very unexpected.
      They followed a predefined interview process.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied through a referral. Got the response from Cerner within few hours after applying.

1. HR conversation
    - He verified all my details
    - He asked few basic technical questions ( Why Java, Java Data types )
    - Why Cerner, Why are you leaving your current company?
    he told he will discuss with his team and get back to me.

2. Got a call after 2 days, asking me to take the online coding challenge (hirevue)

3. Hirevue - 3 questions asked. Mentioned in Glassdoor.

4. Onsite Interview: Behavioral questions and Class design questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in October 2017.

Interview

The whole process started a month ago. I applied online and received a call from recruiter to enquire about my current job and basic questions. Following, there was a coding assignment given and after that there were 2 rounds of virtual interviews

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Cerner (Malvern, PA) in October 2017.

Interview

Got contacted by HR representative and schedule phone interview for 15 minutes. After HR round, they scheduled on-site interview for 4 rounds, each 45 min technical round. Be confident and try to indulge interviewer in your thought process

Interview Questions

• Design Allergy Class for patients and track their history also.   Answer Question
    • Design Medication Class and add frequency based on prescription   Answer Question
    • Couple of Data Structures questions and which one better based on given scenarios. Also, covered Algorithms and efficiency based on the solution. Try to use Map and get solution in O(1)   Answer Question
    • Design Temperature Class and track patients fever in every one hour and create a report based on the analysis.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied on 8/22 and immediately received a non-technical phone call with HR. Was then invited to take a Coding Challenge which involved 3 questions (any language):

1) Given an array of n (between 10 to 20) integers 1 through 9, return the index of the lowest unique integer (i.e. [1, 8, 2, 5, 2, 1, 6, 9, 7, 8] -> returns index 3 from value 5)

2) Given a string with a mix of comma separated words and numbers, print out two strings which contain only words in one and numbers in the other separated by commas.

3) Given numbers 1 through 52, take 5 unique numbers and determine if the number 42 can be made using any combination of addition (+), subtraction (-), multiplication (*), and division (/) on those 5 numbers.