Cerner Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 22, 2017

2.7

293 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, KS) in August 2017.

Interview

Had a phone interview with a recruiter for about 15 minutes about work experience and what coding languages i knew. After that i had a virtual interview with 3 teams for 1 hour each.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you found a bug and how did you solve it.
    About previous work experiences   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Cerner

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview experience was wonderful. The interviewers were very friendly, they made me feel comfortable and gave good insights on my solutions.
     1st round - Phone interview, If they like you then they'll fly you to Kansas city for final round. Final round- 3 rounds, 1 hour each of face-to-face coding / technical interviews with three different teams.
    Kudos to the team of recruiters who make the interview process and the experience hassle free and easy.

Interview Questions

• Data Structures , Behavioral/ Technical questions, System Design, Java technical questions   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in June 2017.

Interview

First starts with a phone interview, Then if they like your resume you will get a Skype interview, if you do well on the Skype interview you will get invited to Kansas City and have 2-3 one-on-one in person interviews

Interview Questions

• How did you here about Cerner   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in June 2017.

Interview

3 rounds of online interview. Started off with a telephonic call from the technical recruiter and it led to a 3 hour back to back interviews. The questions initially were not unusual and everything that was mentioned here was asked.

Interview Questions

• general class design questions mentioned here on glassdoor   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Initial call was from Recruiter who asked all basic information and some technical questions. Three rounds of interview and interviewed by three different people. Dint get a feedback from Cerner.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied through referral and the process took about 3 months. The HR process was too slow that you need to do a regular follow up to get the things done. They were very unclear about which position they are interviewing me. I was asked to apply for multiple job ID's by HR and will get a rejection mail. HR gives an explanation saying that I have to apply for a different job ID and need to re start my interview process.

Finally after 3 months, the offer letter was released offering a very low pay. This is not actually matching the average salary range.

Interview Questions

• 1st round - HR call with some behavioral questions and my interest towards the position.
      2nd round - Online Coding challenge which I need to record and send them for evaluation.

Questions:
      Least common sub sequence length.
      convert a number to binary format.
      Find an Armstrong value.

3rd round
      Its an onsite interview. Two face to face interviews each scheduled for an hour each. General behavioral questions and basic questions on data structures. I was asked to design a class with specific requirements (Allergy and Prescription). The same glass door question on race condition was asked. Went through my resume and they learnt about my projects.   3 Answers

The pay scale was too low and I felt that they do not respect freshers. They just played around with my application for 3 months with out even notifying me on what's happening with my application.

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

The interview process had 3 stages. The phone interview was basic HR, second phone interview was basic java OOPS questions. The third on site was a full day interview in which they asked many interview questions about JAVA and gave a company tour.

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in January 2017.

Interview

Interviewed started with the recruiter reaching out and asked me for open times for a phone interview. The interview focused on behavioral questions and simple technical questions regarding OOD. Then asked about my offers, so she sped up the schedule and arranged interviews for me virtually. Second round was one 1hour interview with a Team Lead, asked me to design a class with OOD, he wants to see how you think and ask about team behavioral questions. Third round is two 1hour interview with Software Engineers at Cerner, both also involves designing a class, but a bit tougher this round. Asked a lot about adding new functions or fixing upon a situation, also asked about technical situations you should prepare for. Normally you would fly out for third interview. Got an offer couple days later.

Interview Questions

• First Interview: about projects, about work experience, about handling feedback, about how you feel about programming and why you chose your major   Answer Question
    • Second Interview : Design an allergy class with name and severity of patient and how would you add it to a patient class. Asked about debugging skills and parameter checking   Answer Question
    • Third Round: Design a medication class dealing with dosages, quantity, duration, start, end date, so on and so forth. Handle situations with dealing with duration vs as needed meds. Technical questions on possibly bugs and how would you handle   Answer Question
    • Third Round Part Two: Design a temperature class dealing with temperature, and how do distinguish when someone has a fever or their temperature is higher than normal. Asked about situations dealing with a time when you understand a project to group members of different fields or differently from one member to another. Asked about past most frustrating bug. Asked about how you would figure out an error without debugger   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

Recruiter Phone call with basic background questions from the resume, get to know about the company knowledge and questions regarding your past experiences ,Education and background and shared about the team structure and some of the company culture that they are following currently.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

First off, I have entry-level experience only so this may not be the same for everyone. Started with a typical HR phone screening, double checking resume info and all that. Then had a remote, Skype-esque 'technical' interview with a current Software Engineer. Question was the Allergy class like everyone else has said. In my opinion, it was a very poorly worded question that gave little to no direction. It was easy enough to understand but what they actually wanted you to give them made little sense without more context. The software Cerner uses for the interview has a notepad type component so you can type into it and the interviewer can see what you are typing. The guy I interviewed with basically just wanted sudo-code and not a complete, working program or anything. Granted, I was also pretty rusty on my technical skills despite a few days of prep and refresh prior.