Cerner Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 11, 2017

2.7

298 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

The interview process had 3 stages. The phone interview was basic HR, second phone interview was basic java OOPS questions. The third on site was a full day interview in which they asked many interview questions about JAVA and gave a company tour.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Cerner

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in January 2017.

Interview

Interviewed started with the recruiter reaching out and asked me for open times for a phone interview. The interview focused on behavioral questions and simple technical questions regarding OOD. Then asked about my offers, so she sped up the schedule and arranged interviews for me virtually. Second round was one 1hour interview with a Team Lead, asked me to design a class with OOD, he wants to see how you think and ask about team behavioral questions. Third round is two 1hour interview with Software Engineers at Cerner, both also involves designing a class, but a bit tougher this round. Asked a lot about adding new functions or fixing upon a situation, also asked about technical situations you should prepare for. Normally you would fly out for third interview. Got an offer couple days later.

Interview Questions

• First Interview: about projects, about work experience, about handling feedback, about how you feel about programming and why you chose your major   Answer Question
    • Second Interview : Design an allergy class with name and severity of patient and how would you add it to a patient class. Asked about debugging skills and parameter checking   Answer Question
    • Third Round: Design a medication class dealing with dosages, quantity, duration, start, end date, so on and so forth. Handle situations with dealing with duration vs as needed meds. Technical questions on possibly bugs and how would you handle   Answer Question
    • Third Round Part Two: Design a temperature class dealing with temperature, and how do distinguish when someone has a fever or their temperature is higher than normal. Asked about situations dealing with a time when you understand a project to group members of different fields or differently from one member to another. Asked about past most frustrating bug. Asked about how you would figure out an error without debugger   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

Recruiter Phone call with basic background questions from the resume, get to know about the company knowledge and questions regarding your past experiences ,Education and background and shared about the team structure and some of the company culture that they are following currently.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

First off, I have entry-level experience only so this may not be the same for everyone. Started with a typical HR phone screening, double checking resume info and all that. Then had a remote, Skype-esque 'technical' interview with a current Software Engineer. Question was the Allergy class like everyone else has said. In my opinion, it was a very poorly worded question that gave little to no direction. It was easy enough to understand but what they actually wanted you to give them made little sense without more context. The software Cerner uses for the interview has a notepad type component so you can type into it and the interviewer can see what you are typing. The guy I interviewed with basically just wanted sudo-code and not a complete, working program or anything. Granted, I was also pretty rusty on my technical skills despite a few days of prep and refresh prior.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

Two rounds of interview. Skype and then onsite.Skype round was little difficult. Once you clear the phone round next will be onsite interview. I did not get the offer but its easy to crack the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Malvern, PA).

Interview

HR call followed by in person interview. It was pleasant. Half behavioral half technical. Different definition of systems engineering than what I am used to. They are looking for front end software engineers & good technical skills than what I have been trained with.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner in January 2017.

Interview

On campus recruiter, than virtual technical screen through HireVue. Virtual interview had a few more behavioral questions, and a coding aspect, where you type into an editor that the interviewer can see

Interview Questions

• Allergy Class just like everyone else (here is the prompt)
      You have been asked to build a system for entering and displaying the allergies that patients may have. The allergy will have its own set of symptoms or reactions. The allergy will also have a spectrum of severity which the clinician should be aware of, and allergies can be reported by the patient or by next of kin.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process was smooth and easy. The hiring manager set up a phone interview with me, and we discussed the position and the roles. I was later called for an onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Name one thing you did apart from college assignments and projects.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

I had a HR call scheduled but the person that called me was not the person I was originally supposed to interview with. After discussing the company, position and my profile, she asked me a quick Java question which I answered.

She even asked me for dates that worked for me. I gave her the dates but there was no communication from them ever since.

I followed up numerous times with the recruiters but received no response.

It was highly unprofessional; my experience was not at all good.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself
      Explain a particular project you found was difficult   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cerner (New York, NY).

Interview

I was refered by the cerner's employer. I reached out to the recruiter and she set up an interview with me in the following 2 days. I passed the first interview and I am waiting for the second one which will be virtual. I heard the whole process consists of three interviews.

Interview Questions

• Variable type used to store an addres.   1 Answer