Cerner Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cerner Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 9, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Waltham, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

Had a phone screen with HR in Kansas City where we discussed salary expectations, motivations for leaving my current company and joining Cerner, and technical skills. We scheduled an interview on site afterwards for a position in Waltham, MA.

Met with three people in the Waltham office for a two hour interview. Interview focused on my technical knowledge and my work experience. No technical questions were asked.

The people in the Waltham office were very friendly. You could tell they were interested and engaged in their work and I left with a good impression.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Cerner

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maryville, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cerner (Maryville, MO) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied on Career day.They asked about the contents in the resume briefly.Got a call to the next day interview.Interview was easy but i did not prepare for the interview because it is next day.Be prepared for the interview if you are attempting for the job from University.

Interview Questions

• How do you fix an error in the program
      Two java programs
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, AR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Fayetteville, AR) in October 2016.

Interview

Virtual Interview on HireVue followed by in person interview in Kansas City. Virtual Interview focused mainly on behavioral questions with one technical question. STAR method was mentioned at the beginning of the interview. The on-site interviews were similar. Dinner the night before and then rotational interviews on the day of. Mix of behavioral/technical interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Asked to build some sort of allergy class.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Malvern, PA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through their website, after 1 Week I got a call from recruiter and discussed with her for 30mins regarding my background, work experience and few questions on Java. Later recruiter scheduled onsite interview after 2 weeks, total 3 people interviewed me each one hour. Most of the questions are already posted in Glassdoor. Overall it was very good experience for me. Currently I am still waiting for positive news from them.

Interview Questions

• Favorite Academic and personal projects? and few other Non-Technical questions...   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in October 2016.

Interview

Everything went great. I was contacted by a recruiter after talking to the company at a career fair. I filled out some applications online, did a video interview then went to KCMO for a round of 1:1 interviews. I was extended an offer 4 days after that. I was given 2 weeks to decide if this offer was right for me.

Interview Questions

• Design an Allergy class to log a patients allergies. Design a temperature class to log temps taken from a patient every hour and determine if a temperature might be the cause of an infection.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fairly straight forward. I spoke with a recruiter at my university, and the next day I had a online interview using Hirevue. In this interview I was asked a few situational questions (How would I go about fixing code that was reported as not working right by a client, etc.) and a couple technical questions (Design a class, etc.) After this interview I was told I would hear back in about a week and it was exactly a week when they contacted me and wanting me to come onsite for Experience Cerner Day.

At ECD there were two hour long interviews. Much of the same situation and technical type questions. However, the technical questions were a tad bit more difficult to me than the ones asked during the initial interview.

Overall, I really enjoyed the experience I gained going through ECD and I give Cerner's interview process two thumbs up.

Interview Questions

• Design an Allergy class. (Just as the ones described in other reviews)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

I was recruited through the Career Fair at my college. The process was fairly straight forward. After submitting your resume and having a quick chat with the recruiters, they would forward information to you regarding positions for an internship.

First, you go onto to do a phone technical screening using an online text editor with webcam or microphone. In there you can choose a language to write in for proper syntax highlighting and be interviewed by one of their engineers with their question. About an hour long, I was asked to develop an allergy class and develop a function in the class to retrieve a the allergies a given. After this screening, should you continue to the on-site interviews you should hear within a week.

Then the on-site interviews occur, in which depending on the number of the interns for that day, you may be interviewed in a room of other interns (more interns, more team of interviewers vs interns) or individually (fewer interns, more one-on-ones). For me, there were only a few number of other interns so my interview process the one-on-one interviews. I had 2 of them before lunch. Each an hour long, they were packet guided with specific questions in which the interviewers could choose and manipulate or expand on. You will write on the white board and be expected to work with the interviewer to find any bugs, test edge cases, and communicate. They are checking how you work as an individual as well as with other associates during coding. Correctness while not vital, must not be blatantly incorrect. As long as you are heading the right direction it did not seem to matter.

In those interviews, you are also given a set of situational questions regarding issues, deadlines, or expectations while in the workplace and how you would react to each scenario. They will be taking notes and submit them for review once your interviews are completed.

Lunch occurs in which you can have time to ask other interns or current associates about Cerner culture, life balance, and other questions. They tie up the day discussing Cerner's mission and a little of the process should you be offered a position. Expect to hear within the week.

Interview Questions

• Develop an Allergy class which can hold different severities (moderate, severe, etc...) and be tied to a Person to retrieve the allergies associated with that person and their respective severities.   Answer Question
    • Given a list of streamed patients (consisting of names, DOB, date last seen), return the 3 most recently seen patients from that list. (Here you should ask if there are any more specifics or restrictions, in which I asked is the incoming stream sorted in any fashion?) Assume the list of incoming patients is not ordered in any particular order.   2 Answers

Negotiation

Offer was given first by a phone call, then signable on a website, an agreement is electronically signable from the given credentials in an email after the phone call.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cerner (Malvern, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. A recruiter got in touch with me in a couple of days for initial screening and scheduled an final 3 hours interview on 21st Sep 2016.
    Still waiting for the feedback!

Interview Questions

• 1. The first interviewer asked many behavioral questions like( the best appreciation/ the best appreciation in a group effort/ my work environment etc)
      He asked me to write a pseudo code on notifying the nurse within some time interval and also other question on Log concurrency file.
      2. Second interviewer asked me on Temperature class to know whether patient has fever or not and how to take a reading for every one hour in what location is the reading taken. and asked few behavioral questions.
      3. Allergy class, Person Demographic class and also on birthday in different time zones.
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in September 2016.

Interview

Phone interview, then online interview (behavioral and technical questions), invitation to their Kansas City HQ for a tour with more interviews. The interviewers are usually a set of HR reps as well as current developers. The questions asked were pretty standard of a health care company and not overly difficult. Technical questions focused on OO programming.

Interview Questions

• Define a medical related class (Person, Temperature, Medication, etc)   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cerner in August 2016.

Interview

I had applied through a referral. Initially they had mailed me and set up a phone interview, but they never called up. I followed up about what had happened. They rescheduled the interview and they hadn't called up the second time also. This time when I mailed to find out as to what had happened the recruiter did not even reply. They don't respond to calls either. Overall very bad experience.