Cerner Systems Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cerner Systems Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 14, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in January 2017.

1. HR interview
2. In person interview with 3 managers. (1 hour each back to back)
3. Video interview
4. Informal interview

Interview Questions

• Interview process took about a month. Each one was about an hour long, however each person was pleasant to speak with.

1. HR interview
    2. In person interview with 3 managers. (1 hour each back to back)
    3. Video interview
    4. Informal interview

Most of the questions where situational and behavioral questions but there were some technical.

Examples:

1. Tell me about a time....
    2. How would you handle.....
    3. Why should we hire you?
    4. What would you do....
    5. OSI model, Networking, Cloud infrastructure, firewall and policies.
    Answer Question

Examples:

1. Tell me about a time....
    2. How would you handle.....
    3. Why should we hire you?
    4. What would you do....
    5. OSI model, Networking, Cloud infrastructure, firewall and policies.
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Cerner

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in January 2017.

Interview

I interviewed for over a month and final round I was flown out for an interview. Theyhotel paid or my flight and hotel. Then I had met for 3 people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in December 2016.

Interview

It was pleasant. Half behavioural half technical. Different definition of systems engineering than what I am used to. They are looking for network engineers and harder technical skills than what I have been trained with.

Interview Questions

• Tell me advantages and dissadvanteges of operating systems   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Springfield, IL) in December 2016.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews one on the phone and another through a video call. They asked basic networking questions, make sure to know how networking works with routers, modems, TCP/IP structures etc.

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, KS) in October 2016.

Interview

It was a very quick interview process. Was contacted by a recruiter via email. Setup an hour long phone screening. Explained my background and recruiter recommended roles based on my experience and skill set. Interview was a week later. The interview process was unique as it was 3 interviews back-to-back each lasting an hour. Each interview was for the same position title, though on different teams. Process went very smoothly and I heard back from my recruiter in just under a week with the offer.

Interview Questions

• Linux/Unix commands, scripting experience, cross platform support.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview with Cerner was super cool.

I applied for multiple jobs through LinkedIn and I was contacted by a recruiter and we discussed regarding the different opportunities within the organization and she asked by my past experience. At the end of the call she was impressed and told that I should fly to Kansas for a face to face interview for three job opportunities.

My flights tickets were booked by the company and their treatment was top level. I was provided with a limo service from airport to Sheraton. On the day of interview, I was again picked up by the limo and was dropped at their north campus.

I had three consecutive interviews with a span of one hour each. Interviews are not too technical and they examine you to get an idea about your Linux standards and experience. The session is also included with some behavioral questions.

At the end of interview, I was given 50-dollar gift card and was dropped at Kansas airport again by Limo

The total experience was really awesome and I am waiting for the results

Fingers Crossed!!!

Update: after a week from the interview, I received the offer

Interview Questions

• Just follow the questions posted by other candidates which would be more than enough.   2 Answers

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

The interview was very easy. Initial phone round was from HR, after going through my resume she told me about the responsibilities and the kinds of projects currently going on. Then I had scheduled the interview through HireVue.

Interview Questions

• All the questions are already mentioned in glass door like allergy class, address class.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in July 2016.

Interview

It was a bit overwhelming because the interviews were so closely scheduled. Three, one-hour interviews back to back to back was a lot, but I understand why. They spent the money to fly my to Kansas City Missouri to interview with three different team leads, and the time was extremely limited. This was a good thing in my eyes, as I felt that I had three different opportunities to get hired.

Interview Questions

• Follow the questions that are already on Glassdoor for this position. That is what I did, and it payed off. Troubleshooting steps, networking experience, Lynux experience. Be honest about experience!   3 Answers

Negotiation

They sent me the offer, I had one week to accept, but it was sufficient so I accepted the next day.

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in June 2016.

Interview

I'm Cerner KCIT Apprentice transitioning to a full time System Engineer role. I worked primarily in a software development team and since my skills didn't completely translate, I studied Glassdoor questions to review for the interviews. I had three interviews with three different teams. While I can't share the exact questions, strong knowledge in the following topics will be extremely helpful (There's a pretty detailed interview post for System Engineers already here, just FYI):

-Linux (basic commands - sudo, df, lsblock, chmod, ifconfig, etc)
    -Troubleshooting skills (think of the process of solving any problem from beginning to end - starting with identification and ending in resolution)
    -Databases (query, access, schema knowledge)
    -Active Directory and an understanding of other ways of credential management
    -Networking (knowledge of routers, firewalls, DHCP, DNS, network layers and protocols)

Don't BS what you put on your resume because they typically ask you about it and base questions on what you've written down.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to troubleshoot an issue, what was the process and the result of your work?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, KS).

Interview

4 interviews total, 1 hr phone interview, 1 web interview then 2 on site interviews. A lot of behavioral questions and a few very easy technical questions.

for the on site interview, they payed for all travel and hotel expenses as well as gave out gift cards on the way back to help with any other expenses that you might have incurred during the travel.

if you are going into the academy program the class is like any other college course you might have taken and they want everyone to pass each section of the course with at least an 80%. Tests are open note and you can use the internet.

Interview Questions

• how to transfer a file from one computer to another?
      talk about a time when X happened, what happened, what did you do and what was the outcome?
      1 Answer