Cerner Systems Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 17, 2017

2.7

108 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online through their website. Submitted a resume and cover letter. Had a phone interview that lasted approximately 30 minutes. I was asked about my resume, school, previous jobs. There were also a couple of general behavioral questions. I was told I would hear back from them about an in-person interview in Kansas City but I did not. Followed up twice via email and phone and never heard back.

Interview Questions

• How much faster is DNS considering that it uses UDP instead of TCP?
    - mergesort in details (best, average and worst case)
    - comparison between TCP and UDP (e.g. congestion and flow control)
    - graph to find the shortest path   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Cerner

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Springfield, IL) in December 2016.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews one on the phone and another through a video call. They asked basic networking questions, make sure to know how networking works with routers, modems, TCP/IP structures etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in June 2016.

Interview

Was contacted by HR via email and set up a phone interview with them. This interview consisted of just going over basic things on your resume and to get a feel for you as well to make sure you fit. Then you'll get a skype interview and then if that goes well they will fly you out to headquarters to interview you as well.

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, KS) in March 2016.

Interview

First contact was made via phone, the recruiter asked for a general outline of my background and explained the position. A few weeks went by while this was processing, and finally an in-person interview was set up on the Continuous campus. There were three, consecutive one hour interviews with heads of different departments who were all hiring for the system engineer position, one one one in a small conference room. A week after my interview, I got a call detailing the offer that one of the managers had made, and accepted it.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Bengaluru (India)) in February 2015.

Interview

Versant English round, 2 Technical
    2 technical rounds seperately with 2 different recruiters, after clearing the English Versant round,Many questions to understand the candidate character and technical skills
    Concentrated mainly on Candidate's stability... lot of questions on switching of jobs... which I felt too much indepth digging..

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in July 2013.

Interview

Interview process was different than I expected, even after the recruiter explained how it would work. The interview process was three different interviews at different times (about 30min each) with three different team leads or managers. These interviewers each had an opening on their team and interviewed the entire group. At the end of the interviews we left, flew home, and waited for a phone call or letter.

Interview Questions

• The questions asked were behavioral interview questions. It would be beneficial to familiarize yourself with these types of questions and understand what the interviewer is looking for in your answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation is possible, however be cognizant of the salary range for your position and the "level" that you are hiring in at.

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

Completed first round of on campus interviews. The recruiters were very friendly. It was a little difficult to understand the actual job I was interviewing for. With Cerner, if you are hired out of college, you're typically hired into the "Velocity" program. This is essentially a training program within the company for specific types of roles (software engineer, consultants, sales, etc.). As part of the program you initially go through a lot of training, pertaining to the Cerner software products and any other specific skills requried for your role. You then typically go through a couple rotations where you work in several different groups within the company. At then end of your rotations you are placed with a particular group/team based on the particular needs of the team and how your skills align.

Interview Questions

• You are asked a lot of "describe a time when you ......." questions where you have to really think on your feet.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate. Package was very competitive. I'm not aware of Cerner ever negotiating compensation for college hires.

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

Phone interview: Asked behavior questions and tech questions. I couldn't understand the first question, and the HR person doesn't either and he couldn't restate the question for me either.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cerner (Bengaluru (India)) in August 2010.

Interview

Hiring process in Cerner will have 3 rounds. First process telephonic, second round will be 1-1 with manager of the concern team you are recruiting for, Third round will be an HR round.

Interview Questions

• how to reboot a Citrix server?   1 Answer
    • Why do I need a change in my Job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is nothing to negotiate in this phase. I would give an advice for others to considering an offer with cerner because you find the name and fame for your work and salary will be satisfactory for your hardwork.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in January 2011.

Interview

Cerner called me out of the blue a few weeks after graduation to tell me that I matched a significant amount of of what they were looking for. There was a brief phone interview in which I was presented with the opportunity to speek freely about my past, and then ask questions about the company. They then flew me out to KCMO that week after expressing interest to continue the interview process. They picked me up in a private town car and took me to Cerner's WHQ where I met with 3 other people for face to face interviews. It was over the course of a few hours so nothing was terribly rushed. I was made to feel very comfortable and very welcome during the entire process. The questions were tough. They had a significant amount of situational questions along the lines of "what would you do" or "tell me about a time". So be ready for that. Also bare in mind that they are looking for the highest quality people to fill their roles. Their day to day activities quite seriously are a matter of life or death to patients in hospitals. If a coder makes a mistake on their software that allows for a bad medication to be distributed, then people can die.

Cerner took every step to ensure that they put their best foot forward. To those prospective job candidates who are seeking positions with Cerner, this means that you must do the same.

After the interview they told me they would be in touch with in a few days.

I cannot express how fantastic an experience the whole thing was. Every step of the way Cerner took the time to make sure that every fine detail was accounted for. If offered an opportunity to interview with them I highly recommend that you take it.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time where you innovated in your current job role.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you failed, and what did you learn from that failure?   Answer Question