Cerner Velocity Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cerner Velocity Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 10, 2016

2.4

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Cerner (Fremont, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Telephonic - 1 hour, Virtual interview - 1 hour, final interview - 3 hours -
Challenges faced
Academic projects
time Management
Object oriented principles
The experience was good
Interviewer was very nice and supportive.
Behavioural Questions based on star method

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Cerner

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner in December 2013.

Interview

The process was extended due to the change in their application pages for jobs and internships such as this one. But overall the process would have taken 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• I was very disappointed with this interview, as I was told it was going to be a 'Technical Interview'. Well - it ended up being 80% situational and as you know, if you don't prepare, you don't perform.   Answer Question

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

Phone interview, followed by an onsite 2-day interview process a couple of weeks later.

Anonymous Employee in Maryville, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cerner (Maryville, MO) in March 2012.

Interview

The process had three interviews. The first one on campus and the remaining two at Cerner's campus. All three interviews has technical questions with a requirement to write code.

Interview Questions

• Describe an incident when it was a tough decision to make?   Answer Question

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner in June 2014.

Interview

Although I had a good deal of enthusiasm going into the first phone interview (the first after one or two phone screens), I can not say the same for my interviewer. Whether it was my resume or just his task of interviewing prospects that inspired his dull, uninterested handling of questions I won't know. Rushed through introductions, didn't make an attempt at conversation, and seemed rebuffed during the introduction when I asked him how he was. Each question was read off the list, with little to no acknowledgement of correct answers (certainly not for incorrect answers). Received a rejection the next day. Mercifully quick at least.

Of note, in the weeks that followed, I had Cerner recruiters picking up my resume from indeed.com and emailing me. I found out, however, that this just means they don't bother cross-checking prospects with previously interviewed employees. As I was still interested in what this company does, I expressed interest in interviewing with them again, but this was not possible.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions already listed in other comments. I also remember a question regarding the design of an OOP Chess game.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in June 2014.

Interview

I was planning to apply to Cerner in the nearby future (they actually came to my university recruiting but I didn't apply anywhere straight away) when I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. Knowing that this was probably the best way to actually get over the fear of applying I replied and applied right away.
    The whole process would have been faster, but I had prior commitments.
    I had a phone interview with the recruiter 4 days after she contacted me, and then a phone interview with a software engineer a little bit more than a week after that.
    The first phone interview was very basic, completely behavioral. The most unexpected questions were "what do you do in your spare time to increase your programming abilities" (I'm in grad school, I spend most of my time doing research, during the day and when I'm back at home; I ended up telling her about the algorithms books I had started reviewing) and "tell me about a recent time when you learned a new programming language" (I hadn't learned a new programming language in a while, so I was not entirely prepared for this either, but I talked about a time 4 years ago heh).
    The phone interview with the engineer was again mostly behavioral. Any technical questions are already posted on Glassdoor.
    Then I got the call about Experience Cerner day, but I couldn't make it to the earliest one because of prior commitments, so I made it to the next one, which was exactly a month after my technical phone screen.
    Experience Cerner Day was quite nice, albeit it started very, very early. We started with a tour of Kansas City, the city of fountains, and then had our interviews.
    One note about attire: Cerner is jeans-casual, but everyone interviewing will, more than likely, wear a suit. So do the same, you don't want to feel under-dressed!
    My interviewers were pleasant and we had some nice conversations. Half behavioral, half technical. They asked the Fizz-Buzz question, and another one about designing a database. All of the questions are on Glassdoor (except the database question, just make sure you know RDBMS normalization, you should figure it out on your own, this was definitely not a standard question).
    I'll add the question I felt I had the biggest problem with (but which maybe was exactly what got me hired) below.
    They said it would take them up to 2 weeks to give out a decision, I got mine in 10 days (I had almost given up hope by then).

Interview Questions

• When was there a time when ONE SINGLE project was so overwhelming that you felt there weren't enough hours in a day for it and what did you do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I thought about negotiating but then searched online and it seems that that's the salary they give out (it's 1k less than someone posted here). I also got a relocation package.

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cerner in June 2014.

Interview

Had my 1st HR Phone interview 2 months ago and they scheduled me for 2nd phone round a week ago. Second one was a phone-based interview that mostly focused on Technical and a bit behavioral aspects. I got to know in a couple of days that I got through my 2nd round as well and Now waiting on them to schedule my Onsite Interviews. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. Everything was from glassdoor information base. It really helps you to ease and ace your interview.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied Online ,Heard Back from Recruiter after 2 weeks .Still waiting for the Interview Decision
    Hr Screening : Basic Resume Overview Questions ,Gone Over Project Explained the Position
    Telephonic Technical Interview :
    Video Interview - 2 Rounds

Overall Interview is Process Oriented,Expecting to hear back from them about my Interview status

Interview Questions

• Telephonic Interview:
      1.) What is Unit Testing
      2.) What is Code Coverage
      3.) Explain your projects.
      4.) Tell me about a time you encountered a conflict with a Team Member
      5.)OOPS Priniciple
      Many Behavioural Questions

Video Interview : 2 1 hour Google Hangout Interview

Interview 1 : How did you fix a production Issue
                             Displayed acode and asked to find out the output for that .It was code for String Reversal?
                              Was Should a Code and was asked to find out about the Null Pointer Exception ?
                              Asked about Different Joins in SQL

Interview 2 : Write a code that printouts Foobar if the No is a multiple of 7 print Foo if multiple of 5 print bar if multiple of (7 and 5) print Foo Bar
      2.) Explain Binary Search algorithm to find 9 from numbers 1 to 19
      3.)Explain Projects
      4.) Asked to Write String Reversal Logic
      2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in March 2014.

Interview

In telephonic interview mainly I was asked about the behavioral questions followed by few technical questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you design classes using oops foe a chess game   Answer Question

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Cerner in March 2014.

Interview

Once they will call you with hangout.

After passing through the first phone screening interview, you will have an onsite interview.

The problems in the onsite interview are all in glassdoor.