Cerritos, CA Secretary/Receptionist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cerritos, CA

Secretary/Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cerritos, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Cerritos, CA (Cerritos, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

The Secretary/Receptionist job application was printed as a pdf through the website and was submitted physically in person. Several days later, a phone call was made to state the time and location (Cerritos Public Library) for the typing test.

The typing test consisted of one round of practice and two rounds of the actual test. You are graded on WPM but mistakes are heavily penalized (subtract around 5 words per minute) so accuracy is important. The passing rate is 50 words per minute. One caveat to this test is that new paragraphs must use three spaces instead of a tab; otherwise tabbing for new paragraphs will count as a mistake. You can leave after the first round if you pass.

A phone call for an interview came five days after; the city will give you slots of time but will not change to a different day (which was the day after this phone call).

After checking in with the receptionist, you will be asked to wait in the City Hall Lobby until you are called up. Interviews with the city are fast and this one was no exception; you will be hit by questions asked by the (two) interviewers from their sheet of paper for fifteen minutes only (they do ask to allocate an hour).

One month later, I received a call from HR stating that I was not selected and encouraged to apply again in the future.

Interview Questions

• Tell me the three important skills that a secretary needs.   2 Answers
  • The nature of a secretary is handling multiple projects at once. Tell me how you would prioritize projects and then about a time when you had to prioritize projects   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you had to use tact to deal with a difficult situation.   Answer Question
  • Tell me what this job entails.   1 Answer