Chapters Indigo Interview Questions in Canada | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 25, 2017

2.3

88 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chapters Indigo (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

The manager had five of us in his office and he encouraged an open dialogue so that we can answer questions. Only a few questions like explain world class customer service or what we would do to engage customers were "mandatory" to be answered by everyone. Other questions were open for anyone to answer/discuss. Interviewees shared stories of their worst customer experiences from previous jobs. He explained the time requirements for the job and shared his experience working out at a job. The manager did a good job at keeping the atmosphere light and help it be less nerve-wracking.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Chapters Indigo in September 2017.

Interview

Got a phone call, I was asked a few questions about availability and why I chose Chapters Indigo (Basic stuff), etc. A group interview was scheduled for 2 days after the phone call.

The group interview was very relaxed and the interviewee was just going over how important good customer service is to them. However, I must add, you have to be very outgoing and talk as much as possible during this interview. Some of the questions didn't apply to me (Name a time you dealt with an upset customer and how you defused the situation) so I couldn't answer. I never heard back from them which is upsetting because they said they would email everyone back about how it went.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Chapters Indigo.

Interview

I send my resume, after four days they asked me to do a video interview, it wasn't difficult, just four questions, already mentioned here. When they send you the email you have 48h to do the interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chapters Indigo in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received an email inviting me to a group "audition" a few days or a week later. When I arrived, there were 15 people, including myself, who were there for the interview. The process was quite long, I found, but the activities were quite from. Standard tips for group interviews applied here. However, I found that there was a fine line between speaking enough and speaking too much. We began with a few icebreakers to test how well we all interacted with one another then moved into a question segment that tested how well we were able to story tell and speak. We then moved into the sales floor where we did some team exercises and had to pick items that inspired us and why. When all the activities conclude, we all filled out our availability forms, asked a few questions, and left.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chapters Indigo (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in August 2017.

Interview

Video interview was easy just 4 questions. The. After 4 days recived an email asking for availability and hours to work. They said that I cant have in vacation first three monthes and the max i can get 2 days only

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chapters Indigo (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in June 2017.

Interview

Similar to what others have said--there were two parts, the group interview, and then a group activity along with the 'go find an object in the store and then recommend another object for someone else.'
    When we got in the interview room, we filled out some availability forms and were introduced to the interviewers. It was a group interview, where the interviewers asked questions to the group and people got to answer in any order. After 5 or 6 questions, we were asked to go out into the store and find two items that would be really meaningful gifts for us. After we brought them back, we were asked to present them and explain why we chose those items.
    After that, we played a game in two teams. There was a square taped onto the floor, and the numbers 1-30 on pieces of paper scattered in the square. We were told that we had to touch the numbers in order, in the quickest way possible, using any method we wanted and any number of people on our team. Then we were asked to go and find one or two items that would suit another person, based on their chosen items. We presented our choices, and the interview was done!

Interview Questions

• Which actor would play you in a movie?   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with conflict in your peer group?   Answer Question
    • What is one example of great customer service (either one you've done yourself or seen someone else do)?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chapters Indigo (Windsor, ON (Canada)) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online and got called for a quick phone interview two days later (why do you want to work at Chapters, do you want this job to be long-term or short-term, do you have transportation, etc.). I was then offered to come to a group "audition" that would be held 5 days after the phone interview.

Interview took place at 7AM before the store opened. Out of the six people who were supposed to show up, only four came. First thing we did was fill out an availability sheet and then the interview started after we all finished. Interview questions were really easy, really basic. Try to be the first to answer for some of them, but don't dominate the conversation. If you always answer as one of the last people they'll think you're not interested. Try to be the first to answer the first question at least, and try to address other applicants by name if you're commenting on something they've said.

After the questions portion, we did an exercise where we were let loose in the store for about 5 minutes to pick an item that "speaks to us", and to be prepared to tell the group why. When we finished that portion of the activity, we were asked to switch items with another person (pay attention to why they picked their specific item because it's important for this part) and find another item in the store that we would use to "replace" this item and why. Five minutes were given for this activity as well. The idea is to assess your display and problem-solving skills, because there are times when a certain item isn't in stock and other items are needed to be displayed to take its place. For example, I switched with a girl whose item was her favorite book, so I picked my favorite book as a "replacement" and said it could be part of some sort of a "Staff Favourites" display.

After that activity, we were asked to use the store scanning system to replace the items (the switched item and our "replacement") back in their proper place in the store. I recommend switching with a person who got their item from a really obvious place in the store because the item I switched for was from the huge Fiction & Literature section and it was pretty difficult to find its proper place, so I was the last one back. Didn't seem to affect their decision, though.

We were then asked if we had any questions (be sure to ask at LEAST two good questions) and were then given a tour of the receiving warehouse ("the back of the store"). After that the interview was over. Lasted about 1.5 hours.

It was a really laid-back, really chill atmosphere. Don't be nervous, try to be outgoing (but don't dominate the conversation) and you'll be fine.

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Chapters Indigo (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in May 2017.

Interview

There were two women conducting the interview and 12 candidates at the interview. I truly don't know how they were able to differentiate from the 12 of us...no one did terribly, no one did great. We all just did a solid job, which is why I don't understand how they picked who to hire. Nothing from the interview process properly measured how we would be good candidates.

The actual interview was quite relaxed, and they kept stressing that we shouldn't be nervous. We started with a few ice-breakers, then we had one interview question which we answered in front of the group, and then we had to pick an item that inspired us and discuss why. It took about 1.5 hours. We were told that we would find out our results within 48 hours, but by the time I got home I already had an e-mail saying I had gotten the position.

Interview Questions

• What was the last book you read and would you recommend it?   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Chapters Indigo (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in April 2017.

Interview

I went online to apply and I had to wait for a position to be open. Once I applied and heared back it started with a online questionnaire interview, than an online video interview, and than an in person-group interview.

Interview Questions

• If I could meet anyone dead or alive who would I choose?   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chapters Indigo (North Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in April 2017.

Interview

- Group Interview
    - Casual and friendly atmosphere
    - Interviewers asked a good amount behavioural questions
    - Apart from questions, the interviewers also arranged several activities which are as follows:
       - Collecting two items you find in the store and using them to explain how it represents you
       - Choosing two items that you think would be ideal gifts for another candidate

Interview Questions

• If you could be an animal, what would you be?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you experienced excellent customer service.   Answer Question