Charles Koch Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Charles Koch Institute Interview Questions

Updated Sep 5, 2017

3.4

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Charles Koch Institute.

Interview

Their full application includes all of the standard stuff, with an additional section where you write answers to policy questions plus a section where you use your webcam to record your answers to questions. The final interview is also via webcam with a member of the CKI staff.

Interview Questions

• What is one policy question you have changed your mind on, and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Charles Koch Institute (Washington, DC).

Interview

Probably the worst interview experience I have ever had. I really thought I supported this organization but now I have lost all respect. The interviewer was extremely rude, didn't ask anything about work experience, only asked about my opinions on their policy and almost seemed like they were looking for an argument.

Interview Questions

• What are your opinions of a free society? What do you agree with and disagree with on our policy?   Answer Question

Charles Koch Institute Response

Aug 21, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Partner

Thanks for telling us about your interview experience. We are continually looking to improve all aspects of our hiring process, and I’m interested to hear more from you so we can provide coaching to... More

Policy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Charles Koch Institute.

Interview

The interview was conducted over the phone. It was impersonal. It was with a screener, rather than the hiring authority. The person seemed to be reading questions from a script. It took 30 minutes and I got an email later saying that the process would not continue. I did not get a sense that the screener was very familiar with my qualifications.

Interview Questions

• Please describe examples of working with others and responding to direction or negative feedback from your employer.   Answer Question

Policy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Charles Koch Institute.

Interview

HR was slow and cancelled interviews last minute. Including an interview for a flight with less than 48 hours notice. There are several stages and people that you will talk to.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Charles Koch Institute.

Interview

This interview mainly focused on assessing your alignment with their values and was about 45 minutes long. As a part of the online application they asked to write about issues you felt were important or you had changed your mind on which was tied into the interview. Each of the issues I had mentioned, the interviewer asked me to assess how I would go about solving them and who should be at the forefront of that change.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the role of the government?   Answer Question
    • Since you discussed this issue, how do you think this issue should be solved and who should be at the forefront of these changes?   Answer Question

Event Planner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Charles Koch Institute in April 2017.

Interview

It was a quick turn around between my application and the interview scheduling. I was scheduled to have a phone interview for the position; yet when the day came there were some technical difficulties in that the phones at their office were not connected. This I understood completely and was prepared to work around. I had been corresponding with one of their representatives and reached out to reschedule multiple times afterwards with no response. To my surprise a few days later the rep got back to me saying that the role had already been filled. Additionally, my surprise was elevated in that the role they were prepared to interview me for was not the original role I applied for. I immediately wrote back to clarify the situation and the representative only shot me a "sorry both the roles were filled" email. While I appreciated the clarification, I believe that the way this could have been handled definitely could have been better. I had spent a lot of time preparing for this interview and to have this situation resolve itself in this way was incredibly disheartening.

Interview Questions

• I didn't get to interview at all; this review is for the experience leading up to my scheduled interview.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Charles Koch Institute in April 2017.

Interview

I called into a video interview platform and was joined by my interviewer promptly at the start time of the interview. My interviewer was very composed and pleasant, and seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say. The questions that she asked me were very specific to my own view points and experiences. She also seemed to be composing the questions as she went along due to how they were related to each other and often based on one of my previous statements.

Be prepared to defend any statement that you make, they will ask you a sequence of questions that will force you to go into depth about your view points.

Interview Questions

• What interest you about the program?   Answer Question
    • What specific tasks or duties would you be interested in performing during your internship?   Answer Question
    • What are your views on education, particularly on the topic of incentivizing public schools to be competitive with private? -> You mentioned subsidies from the government to help improve education in impoverished areas, in which situations do you think it is appropriate for governments to subsidize or offer grants? -> Where do you draw the line in terms of government involvement? -> How should governmental operations be funded? And so on....   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Charles Koch Institute (Arlington, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview was about 50 minutes, over webcam, with 1 interviewer. The questions were mainly about your views on a free society, your prior work experience, your knowledge of Market-Based Management©, and what professional skills you were hoping to develop.

Interview Questions

• Is there a difference between free speech and hate speech?   Answer Question
    • Are there any of our partner organizations you are particularly interested in?   Answer Question

Director Produce Events Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Charles Koch Institute (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

Etremely professional, organized, polite and informational. Very prompt, provided additional support items and never rushed the interview. Well done! I recommend the company to everyone. I am greatful for the opportunity. Thanks, I wish the company nothing but the very best!
    Good LucK!

Interview Questions

• Asked background experience and to talk about successful events produced   1 Answer
    • My best event   1 Answer

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Charles Koch Institute in February 2017.

Interview

I deeply respect Charles Koch and love their mission and what they do, but had a problem with the person who interviewed me who was being extremely rude. A person working for Charles Koch was interviewing me for an entirely separate organization, while I was completely unaware. The email I received provided links to Charles Koch's website, mission, etc. and the interviewer holds a title within Charles Koch, but she was interviewing me for an organization outside of Charles Koch. When I started talking about what I like about the Charles Koch mission, she rudely cut me off and told me this position is entirely separate from Charles Koch. Instead of apologizing for any confusion, or owning up to the fact that I was emailed the wrong information in preparation for this interview, her tone changed to being annoyed and frustrated. I still continued to answer the rest of the questions as I would for any other job, and remained calm and professional. I talked about my degree in Economics, and published writing I have been working on, and by the end of the interview she told me I would be better suited to work as a receptionist. This seemed uncalled for, as well as demeaning. Like I said before, I love Charles Koch, but this was the worst interview I've ever had. Hopefully this person can work on their people skills, and meet people where their at instead of talking down to them, or consider working for another position where they are not involved with the interview process.