Charles River Development Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Charles River Development Interview Questions

Updated Jan 18, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Charles River Development (Boston, MA).

Interview

Initial phone screen of Java and SQL questions, followed by an in person interview in 4 sections, mostly technical. There was a section of logical questions called an analytical test, but the other 3 sections were mainly basic algorithm questions, nothing too bad. The staff was very friendly and I felt I did well, but unfortunately didn't receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Given a sentence as a character array, reverse the order of the words in the sentence.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

20 - 30 minute phone screening. Mostly technical questions about java, sql and describing your resume. One behavioral question.
    It is important to know the most basic on concepts and data structures such as trees and maps.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between an abstract class and an interface?
      What are the primitive data types in java?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Charles River Development (Burlington, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

The process was typical - phone screen, round robin of interviews, presentation. There was an IQ test and a writing sample required, which I found weird, but hey, to each their own. The interview and the company were not awful; I was enthusiastic about having the opportunity to interview. The reason I am giving a negative review is because with all the effort I put into the interview, they never had the courtesy to loop me in to where I was in the process. The recruiter kept up for a little bit, but then just vanished. I interviewed for this role in July, 2016 and to this day, the position is still open. It was a shame, really, because I felt like I brought a lot to the table. Also, since I was an employee referral, I feel that a little professional courtesy should have been extended in the follow-up process, especially given the energy and effort that went into the whole process. It has left a sour taste in my mouth all together.

Interview Questions

• What is the most challenging part about being (this role) and how do you handle that?
      From one interviewer: "I won't sugar coat this, I can be really difficult. How do you handle difficult people?" (This one threw me off a little, especially hearing from someone self-promoting their inability to adjust and change within a team environment while making it clear that they were the issue.)
      2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Charles River Development (Boston, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen with HR after which I was sent a coding challenge to solve. After solving the test, the development team took about 3 days to review it and then I got an email from HR that they are moving forward with my application and wanted to setup a technical phone interview. The phone interview was scheduled to be 30minutes long. But it was the worst experience I've ever had with an interviewer. He asked me why I'm looking for a new opportunity. When I explained him that I wanted to grow as a Java developer and my previous employer didn't have any Java work. He was just disappointed by that answer(I was like isn't this role about Java programming?). After that it was basically me listening him for the next 5 minutes on how I made a bad decision and telling me that I shouldn't prefer just one technology. I'm a developer and I think I have every right to chose which technology stack I want to work with. After that, he asked me two questions related to Java version changes. There were no data structure questions, no algorithms, no live coding. Two questions and 15minutes later he decides to end the interview. A day later, I get an email that they will not be moving forward with my application. One of my friend who was also interviewed by the same person had a similar experience and I feel the company should do something about this to provide a better experience for future candidates.

Release Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Charles River Development in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online. Response from internal recruiter happened within a few days and there was a phone screen. The interview started with an LSAT type analytical skills test which had a 1 hour time limit. According to the recruiter, all employees go through this. Then, I spoke with a number of people including the hiring manager, for about 1 hour each. For this position, there was more discussion of infrastructure, scripting and build/release workflows.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about converting a Perl build system to Java?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Charles River Development (Burlington, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

Went to the career fair and they immediately invited me to interview onsite. They provided transportation and a room for the night. The interview consisted of 5 1 on 1 technical interviews and an hour long logic exam. The interviews went by fast with no break in between.

Interview Questions

• The interviews had the following topics: Code testing, object oriented design questions, java questions, algorithms using arrays, and behavioral.   Answer Question

Technical Implementation Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Charles River Development (Burlington, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

I got a call the day before interview. Quiet place to work and the overall environment was nice. First we had meeting with the lead of the office getting an overview of the company. Then the entire day was about individual interview with different people from different position. At the end there was a standardized IQ test and writing sample test.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Charles River Development (Burlington, MA) in August 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with the hiring manager first. No real conversation, he just went down a prepared list of technical questions (C#, WPF, threading). Then a full day face-to-face interview with 5 developers and a timed 24 question analytical test.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to suggest an approach to real-life software design problems they were working on, answer some C# questions of medium difficulty ("What is a finalizer?"), write a medium difficulty program on the white board. The analytical test was rather difficult but I had spent time preparing for it.   Answer Question

Product Specialist/Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Charles River Development (Burlington, MA) in July 2015.

Interview

Phone screening, then on site interviews with IT Director, IT Manager, Product Manager, Sr. Product Manager and Business Expert. There was a multiple question analytical test and at the end assay writing exercise.

Interview Questions

• mostly behavioral questions, questions related to experience and how will act in different situations.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Charles River Development.

Interview

The worst interview experience I had in my life. I am a student at a liberal arts college, and I talked to the recruiter at a career fair at a state university within the consortium. The recruiter took a look at my resume, took it back and emailed me the next day asking me if I can do an onsite interview and I said yes. And the next day she called me and asked if I have ever taken a class outside of my college, so I told her my study abroad experience and she said she would send me a confirmation letter very soon. I waited till the day before my onsite interview to get her reply as:" Our intern program primarily focuses on top 100 computer science schools... After discussing with our director of engineering we will be unable to continue the interview process with you." I felt terrible about myself after getting this email because I had to stay up for several days so that I could get my things done to commute to the company the next day. My school has a growing computer science department, it is small but people here are smart and they get into really awesome big tech companies. I would have been very depressed if I did not get accepted by a big company on the same day.