Charles Schwab Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Charles Schwab Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

Associate Financial Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Charles Schwab (Austin, TX).

Interview

The process consisted of a 30-40 minute phone screen with a Talent Manager. Once they determine your positive qualification, you have a video interview with 2 senior managers. The whole process was thorough & professional.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you handled a difficult situation with a customer and a co-worker.   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Charles Schwab (Denver, CO).

Interview

Took 2+ weeks. Applied online first which took a couple days to get a response. Two phone interviews. First was from a recruiter and second was with a hiring manager. Emailed two days after with no offer.

Interview Questions

• What is object oriented programming, what are the main principles of OOP, what is mvc, what is a linked list, what is a garbage dump.   Answer Question

Broker Trainee Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Charles Schwab (Indianapolis, IN) in July 2016.

Interview

Interview process was swift and well laid out. I originally applied for the FC Academy with Schwab, but they contacted me and told me to do the Broker Trainee program instead. I assume it costs the company less because it lasts less than a year, whereas the FC Academy program lasts two years and likely requires relocation.

After submitting an application you are emailed a personality questionnaire gauging your interest in the field and how well you'd fit in with the company. After that, you have a phone interview that lasts about an hour and consists of basic info about the broker trainee program and a few behavioral questions.

About the position: Starting salary for this program in Indy location is $40k for everyone, plus bonuses up to $5k based on performance. Additional $2k bonus available if you pass both the Series 7 and 63 on first try! This is one of the few brokerage/advisor firms that doesn't pay commission - it's straight salary. I found this a huge motivator since I'm new to the industry. Health benefits aren't expensive, but they could be better.

The last interview (there's only two) is in person with two Schwabies. They told me only about 30% of applicants make it to this point, and even fewer make it past, so BE PREPARED if you really want the job. First a tour, then small interview room for a 1.5 hour interview. Know a LOT about the company and the broker program.

After that, it's fairly quick. They let you know in less than a week if you've made it through. Usually a generic email will be bad news and a phone call will be good news. Fortunately, I've made it through, so I'm just waiting for my credit check and background check. Important note - they don't make you take the SIFMA testing anymore.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time a customer/client wanted to buy something that you knew wouldn't fit their needs. How did you attempt to redirect them?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Pay is flat across the board. No negotiating.

Email Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Charles Schwab (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Describe a time when you... HIred during onslaught of need. Many question on examples of a time when or how you handled a situation. Why you want the job. Where do you plan on being in 5 years.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to defuse a difficult situation.   Answer Question

Managing Director, Project and Program Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Charles Schwab (Denver, CO) in July 2016.

Interview

Extremely drawn out. Applied April 4th, phone interview was July 13th. Job is still not filled 8/31. Third party recruiter was hired to collect resumes, despite the fact that the job had been posted on Schwab site for 2 months. HR may be overloaded. Speed of hiring process at Schwab seems to be a systemic issue. They go in and out of hiring freezes quite frequently. Overall, I think this is a very good company. They are trying to control their growth carefully, which is smart. This issue _does_ make me hesitant to apply for other roles there because I don't want to wait 6 months to get through the process. It is important for a firm to hire carefully, but at some point drawing it out is counter productive, both to productivity and reputation. If the role is so important, how can why leave it unfilled for 6 months?

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience managing project managers.   1 Answer

Vice President, Financial Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Charles Schwab in July 2016.

Interview

Submitted job applications to three financial consultant positions. Was contacted by recruiter via email 3-4 weeks later requesting to set up a phone interview. The email also had links to review in regards to the specific role, company history and leadership, and what it is like to work at Schwab in preparation for the interview. Phone interview was conducted for 30 minutes. The recruiter said the next steps would be that the hiring managers would be in touch for a second phone interview within the next 3-5 business days if they decided to move forward, and from there an in-person interview if it got to that point. I received a rejection notice via email within 3-5 days. The recruitment process was enjoyable even though it did not lead to an offer. I came away feeling that Schwab really cares about the professionals that they interview.

Broker Trainee Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Charles Schwab (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2016.

Interview

I'm still not really sure if this counts as an interview, but I applied online, took the personality test, was later contacted by a recruiter from Indianapolis via email, who set up a call with a hiring manager in Phoenix, AZ the following Tuesday. She told me to prepare for a behavioral interview. The call was rather short, I clocked it at around 7 minutes. At the beginning of the call, I was informed they weren't actually hiring for the Broker Trainee program, even though they have a job posting for it on their website, and that the interview was for their Participation Services class. At the end she told me that she'd forward my information to managers and that I should hear something by Friday. I got a rejection email that Thursday. I wasn't asked any behavioral questions.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Charles Schwab (Austin, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

Very detailed but friendly and inviting. The panel interview, 1:1 was fairly casual but again detailed. I enjoyed the process and look forward to moving forward with the company.

Interview Questions

• Favorite project I worked on.   1 Answer

Stock Broker Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Charles Schwab (Denver, CO) in June 2016.

Interview

Very detailed interview process. Started with an in depth phone interview and then an in-person interview with two team leads. They were very friendly and maintained a professional demeanor during the entire interview. Questions during the in-person interview were fairly structured but I felt I had the opportunity to elaborate on my qualities and skills. Overall, I enjoyed the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Name an accomplishment you are proud of, professionally or personally.   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Charles Schwab (Austin, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process was very drawn out and long. The recruiter contacted me in April and I did not get the verbal offer until the end of June. After the drug test and background check was done, it was already mid-July. So the whole process took about 3 months. I had 11 interviews with 11 different people, plus the drug and background screening.

Everyone was nice and professional, but there was a lot of repeated questions due to the amount of people I interviewed with. I have no doubt they would be great people to work with, but due to personal reason I had to take another company's offer.

Interview Questions

• SQL questions, case studies, experience and fit questions   Answer Question