Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Interview Questions

Updated Sep 18, 2017

2.6

Teacher, Elementary School Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools in June 2017.

Interview

I got a phone call to come in for an interview that week. Four interviewers sat at a table and round robin questions. It took 15 minutes for them to ask all their questions. They wrote down everything that was said. They were serious and no one smiled. They said I'd hear back next week.

Teacher Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (New York, NY).

Interview

These interviews are not easy. Most interviews you will go to have a panel of teachers sitting down in the interview process with you. Yes you might feel nervous just go in with confidence don't let them know your nervous. some principals you can tell don't care for you right off the bat, but everyone is different.

Talent and Development Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (Charlotte, NC) in August 2016.

Interview

Two people interviewed me at the same time. I was asked several questions as to how I would handle situations in the classroom, with staff members, and administration. Each person asked me about 5 questions each. They used the computer to record my answers. The questions weren't very difficult, just pulled from my previous experiences in the classroom.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a lesson you would teach in a gifted and talented classroom.   Answer Question

I didn't want to go to the school where the position was located. It would have been an hour long drive.

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (Charlotte, NC) in August 2016.

Interview

There was a 3-panel review board that had prepared questions to ask. From what I could gather, they had asked the same questions to previous candidates. We were ending when one of the interviewers decided to ask another question and then another. The other 2 interviewers interceded and said they had asked enough questions. The 3rd person insisted upon asking me more.
    Fortunately, I was able to answer her questions and to her surprise got nods of approval from the other 2 present.
    Not sure why she felt she needed to do that, but I am thankful to Almighty God for giving me the wisdom to handle the situation.

Interview Questions

• If you have already made the deposit for the day, but a teacher brings you checks and cash totaling $240.00, what should you do?   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (Charlotte, NC) in August 2016.

Interview

The first interview was via phone. I spoke with the principal who try to sell the school to me by telling me that it was a military style school and that the students were uniforms. It was very miss leading because despite this, the students had several behavioral issues in general making it difficult to teach. The second interview was via Skype . Again, I spoke with the principal. She was very positive and seemed passionate about her work.

Interview Questions

• What are you passionate about?   1 Answer

PreK Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

This was a neutral interview it lasted about 20 minutes. There was a Pre-K teacher and the school principal who asks the questions. They ask questions about balanced literacy, past experiences working with families, how to deal with difficult an employee, challenges children face today. Overall both ladies were friendly.

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (Charlotte, NC) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fairly easy with straight to the point questions being asked. The interviewer went into great detail on the position as well as provided his expectations of the person chosen for the opening.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle difficult situations with your co-workers?   Answer Question

Assistant Principal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (Charlotte, NC) in May 2016.

Interview

Application, Virtual Interview & a Screening Event

Application - Detailed resume, two structured recommendations, most recent performance review and an essay

Virtual Interview - The virtual interview was mostly behavioral questions. Tell about a time... There was a question in the beginning about CMS's strategic plan.

Screening Interviewing - I was fine with the process until this point. I felt like this was a joke, was totally disrespected in this interview. I was interviewed by two female principals in the district. Questions were not difficult. However, they wanted you to give specific quantitive results. For example, 30% of my students met growth.

Then there was a role-playing scenario that was acted out by the two principals. They wanted you to pretend as though you were an assistant principal, and respond as such. If you responded with what you would do and did not act it out, you were redirected. My issue with this was the scene was very over the top, and not something that would typically occur in a school. The two principals were also acting over the top and laughing inappropriately, so it was hard to stay focus and remain professional. Visualize a 40 year old woman acting like a 3rd grade male student with ADD while laughing as she went in and out of character.

I've done role-playing interviews before, but I felt this was more of an "I got you..." sort of thing. I did not feel like this was an activity to see if I was a qualified candidate.

My last issue with this process was the principals that interviewed me were new principals at underperforming schools. I felt these two should not have been on the selection team. It was hypocritical.

I ended up getting selected, but this only meant that I could view and apply for assistant principal jobs. I ended up taking an offer for a principal position in another district. CMS has to work on this flawed system for selecting qualified leaders.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you used data to make decisions.   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (Charlotte, NC) in January 2016.

Interview

Interview process seems very easy. Impress the principle and you will you be hired. Lots of good teachers also lots of teachers that teach at high diversity school also they don't like black and brown students. Teachers with undercover biases when it comes to children of color and administration protects them from getting fired for discrimination.

Support Team Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

The interview process went smoothly because the assistant principal basically wanted to know if I had in skills in working with school aged children and how long have I being working in that capacity. In addition, telling me what the job entailed and what was expected of me if I was to get hired for the position.

Interview Questions

• How to handle a student when they are not being cooperative?   1 Answer