Check Point Software Technologies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Check Point Software Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Jul 11, 2017

53 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Sales/Account Management Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Check Point Software Technologies.

Interview

Interviews were badly organized. The interviewer confirmed the dates and times multiple times via email but she showed up late on 3 different occasions and not once apologized. common courtesy is to send a quick note telling someone you are running late but this gal made multiple excuses and had no regard for my time nor my schedule. To make things worse after we finally did talk this interviewer told me on 2 different emails they would call me for 2nd interviews then never called. Then she called me back for another job that i wasn't qualified for! She never read my resume, didn't ask professional questions. stay away from this company if you want to be working with professionals.

Interview Questions

• How many years of experience do you have? (I am not kidding)   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Check Point Software Technologies.

Interview

Not a bad sales process, spoke to team I would likely be on and everything seemed very positive until apparently the last person who did not understand English very well. Was rejected for who knows what reason, no response from the two senior personnel that interviewed me.

Interview Questions

• Something having to do with revenue, if I write the question, they will know who I am.   1 Answer

Territory Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Check Point Software Technologies (San Carlos, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out saying I was a potential fit for a channel/partner development role. Had an initial phone screen with the recruiter (robotic personality and questions asked) and two weeks go by without next steps. Finally, I get a call from a hiring manager, but for a direct sales group. We discussed a role I had no interest in and that was it. I reached back to the recruiter about the confusion and she said the interview process ended. Waste of time waiting around and did not even get a chance to talk with someone about the actual position I wanted to pursue.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking to leave your current company? Why Check Point?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Interview

The questions were pretty straight forward on how you would deal with customers in certain situations. There were also some assessments that you have to take to test your technical skills. The biggest problem with the whole interview/hiring process was they never got back to me. Emailed and followed up on status but just never heard back. Would be nice to know what the results were.

Facilities Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Check Point Software Technologies (San Carlos, CA).

Interview

They wanted to know more about your experience to verify if you knew what you were talking about and to make sure you were a good fit for the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe your work experience and how you can apply it to Check Point.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Check Point Software Technologies in February 2016.

Interview

Initial interview conducted via telephone - innocuous questions that had no content or substance to the position. What exactly is the HR role in all of this? I think I understand the many negative reviews here.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Check Point Software Technologies.

Interview

Applied online. Scheduled a time with the HR recruiter which they rescheduled. The HR contact was 15 min late in calling me. She/He ran down the list of questions in a very dry format. Nothing out of the ordinary. The recruiter sounded miserable and not in the mood or mindset for the interview. They never even ask the basic question of describing my previous work experience at each company on my resume. The questions were more centered on why I had left the companies. It was obvious that they had not taken the time to read my resume in full. I have no confidence that the recruiter was listening to my answers or writing notes. This was evident by the question they posed - "Have you ever worked in security?" after I spent minutes discussing how my previous company is in the network security space, the software and services offerings, and my role with the company. The 3rd question was asking what I currently made, and "What do you expect Check Point to pay you?".

Interview Questions

• "What do you expect Check Point to pay you?".   1 Answer

Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Check Point Software Technologies (San Carlos, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

I received an e-mail from a director to schedule a phone interview and talked for about an hour initially. The questions were mostly focused on selling and flexibility in travel(not much technical). They asked about my experience with Check Point software in the first round(which I had a decent amount but no certs.) The interview wrapped up with a scheduled phone interview with the hiring manager and a planned onsite presentation/demo. I made mention that my public speaking skills were weak but they were OK with it. I've never applied for a sales engineer role(this being the first).

On the second phone interview, I was asked what a connection table was and gave an adequate response to go forward with an onsite(plus basic info on demo’ing URL filtering). I was also asked to present a topic I knew well. Card decks make a lot of eyes glaze over these days and I avoided that.

In preparation, it wasn't clear that the intended environment should only be VMWare workstation or that Windows was required to make the client work properly.(I have OSX and use VirtualBox). Fortunately, having enough neteng/devops experience, I hacked it together with an older laptop at least from a connectivity standpoint.(without being able to apply policy from a client standpoint) Also, my pres. was not well delivered but I have the technical knowledge/skill for a lot of it.(although some learning req’d which is good potential in my opinion given this position) The hiring manager did reach out to see how the demo was coming ahead of time but I had nothing concerning at that point.

Day of the demo/presentation, I showed up on time, received a temp badge in the waiting area, and went with the hiring manager to a conference room. On listening/looking at the environment, there wasn't much chit-chat or many smiles as you would pass people but I wasn't there for long. I was introduced to a few people including one remote person. I was also introduced to the Acct Manager I would be paired. I was given a little background on the sales goals and targets. The AM, in true sales fashion, claimed they'd be buying another sports car when they hit particular numbers(which was a red flag). The presentation was first and then the demo when I asked. I set up things in pretty short time(a few minutes) and then started the presentation. Before I started, someone showed up late but acted like they didn't want to be there(which is fine since I wasn't setup yet). I introduced myself and went on with the pres. As I proceeded, I stopped after about 10 minutes of presenting to get any questions. They didn't have but a question and wanted to move onto the demo of URL filtering. I prefaced with I wasn't able to apply policy(Virtual Box) and switched to the Windows laptop to use 'demo' mode to simulate. I started to show an example of applying filtering based on content. I showed them how it works as well as ways to block for particular gateways, how to log, etc.

Based on the questions asked, it was clear that I was overqualified technically for the implementation they were asking but I definitely required work in selling the Check Point product(which I understood). A decent way through the interview, the AM just left along with the guy who appeared he didn't want to be there without as much as a 'goodbye.' At first I thought it was a test since you see it sometimes in sales' pitches and kept proceeding in the demo but then I realized they were just unprofessional. Certainly a shame...I asked questions additionally about culture(do you spend much time in the office as an SE? do you collaborate on PoCs with other security engineers?) and the answers I received were that there is some collaboration on PoCs but "if you're not in the office, you're not doing your job." That was enough for me. I have a colleague that works in a different office where the environment has a better culture I've been told(and I've met a couple of the people in the other office that validates his claim). I professionally thanked them with a handshake. I thanked them for the opportunity and heard back the next day that they would be passing onto other SE candidates(which was fine).

Takeaways:
    1.) The SE hire req is actually Sales Engineer(not Security) when you get into the interviewing. I'm concerned that someone taking this job is going to want to move to another company at some point and not be as desirable technically since SecEng is a bit of a reach from what I've seen.(which may be why the req is open)

2.) The management client(Smart Console) requires Windows. Appears it was developed in Visual C++(not Java for portability). There is a lot of potential here for their market if they could re-gear for portability.

3.) I like their product from a mgmt standpoint(not much experience with their hardware) and the gateway/management server is built on Linux which I like. I'll probably stay an investor and look for potential roles that are more technical(not sales).

Human Resources Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Check Point Software Technologies (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied to this position online. The recruiter contacted me a couple of days after, and asked me to send her my resume (it didn't upload in my original application). After sending the resume, she and I had a phone interview. She asked fairly standard questions, and gave me some insight into the culture of the organization. After our interview, she let me know that the hiring manager was going to be in town, and wanted to move quickly to get me set up for an in-person interview.

The in-person interview was a thorough review of my resume. The hiring manager actually made me think about my background and decisions I had made (some I hadn't thought about in some time). It was a great conversation as he shared information from his background as well. The interview wasn't difficult (as I've rated it), but it was not standard questions, which is why I'm not comfortable rating it as average. After the interview, I was brought back to meet with the HR Partner who was leaving the role, and the VP that this position would support. These were more casual conversations, but still very informative. Everyone I spoke with was very honest about the role, and the organization. They shared the good, and the things they were looking to improve, without any hesitation.

A couple of weeks after my last interview, I was informed that I was not selected for the role. My background was not a perfect match, and they had found a more qualified individual.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Check Point Software Technologies (San Carlos, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I had to take a Programming Test (around 4 hours) in a language of my choice. There were four assignments (implementation, debugging, changes to code etc). The test code base that i had to work with was reasonably complicated. It took some time to figure out what it was doing & what i was supposed to do. You are graded on completeness / correctness (whether you can get it to compile) / solution efficiency / approach / code readability etc. They checked on me a cpl times during the test to ask if i had questions & i was free to take breaks if/when needed. Internet access was provided.

I did not do well, even though i consider myself a decent programmer & i eventually got a hang of the overall logic in their test code.

In hindsight, i think a better approach would have been to split the overall test into multiple segments of an hour each: 1 programming assignment, a debugging session with a technical member of their team present ('pair' programming ...), a white boarding session to write algorithms/programs etc. etc. That is, multiple approaches to evaluate instead of giving the candidate several hours to work on assignments on a laptop by himself/herself ...

Other candidates may disagree ... or maybe i'm complaining too much & am technically 'challenged' :)

Regardless, the overall experience was good / interesting. The person i dealt with was very courteous.