Chegg Interview Questions in Santa Clara, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 20, 2017

2.9

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

I had a great phone screening with the HR Recruiter, then hiring manager and was brought in to meet with 4-5 people. Here's what really bothered me that I wanted to share: The VP was the very last person to meet with me. She took one look at my resume (it seemed to be the very first time she saw my resume) and said "Oh you don't have X Skill. We can't have someone w/out X Skill fill this position". Needless to say I didn't get an offer which is fine, but if they knew this would be a requirement from the VP, I wish they hadn't wasted my time (and theirs) by bringing me in.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you did.
      What steps would you take if you were given this project.
      Answer Question

Senior Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Phone screens from HR and hiring manager
    SQL test. The questions are straightward
    On site (Meet with 4-5 people), in which I need to give a presentation
    They could possibly verbally grant you an offer during on-site, which I think is just to hold you before you move forward with other companies. Eventually nothing official came out and no one even responded to your followups.

Interview Questions

• Question about sql skills, past projects and learnings, some basic modeling questions in a tool which I used before   Answer Question

Senior Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

The worst interview experience, I wonder how Chegg is recruiting.
    They have to change, rather then selling books they have to read books now.
    The interview I attended did not relate with the roles and responsibilities mentioned for the job description.

SEO Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

intail phone screen by two people 1. by HR coordinator 2. by VP of SEO followed by on-campus interview by 4 different people again with HR , VP , Marketing and Associate and walking through the campus with hints company culture

Interview Questions

• What would you do , to rank higher in SERP for subpage in local space   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter few days after I submitted online, phone screen with the recruiter and then onsite interview with 4 people. I was told that they would let me know if I proceed to the next round within two days, never heard back. I followed up twice and no response, then decided to move on.

Interview Questions

• went through some projects I had in the past, asked me how I'd solve some of the challenges they have   Answer Question

Business Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Had a great experience with Chegg. I initially applied to be an Inventory Analyst (contract) role. Had a phone interview, and was invited to come on-site. When I arrived on-site, I interviewed with 3 managers who all ask fairly standard questions. They asked about my background, some situational questions, my skill set, and my future goals. Towards the end, they asked if I could stay an extra 45 minutes to take an Excel test.

The next day, I received an offer from another company and I notified Chegg. They called me within an hour or two and told me they could have a response by tomorrow, and asked if I could do one last phone interview with a Data Scientist at Chegg that same day. Had a great conversation with the Data Scientist - he was very engaging and we discussed my passions and my goals, as well as my skill set. He asked some challenging questions about problem solving and predictive analytics. Around this time I asked if I was still being interviewed to be an Inventory Analyst and they said they were now considering me for the Business Operations Analyst position.

They offered the next day.

Overall a very positive experience. All my interviewers were professional, welcoming, and intelligent. People at Chegg are passionate about what they do and they have a great vision.

Interview Questions

• Had some problem solving questions. For example, the interviewer might describe a past project he/she has done, and will ask you how you would tackle the problem and how you might solve it.   Answer Question

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

About me:
    Senior Data Scientist
    PhD
    3+ years in Bay area

One of Data team members reached out to me about an open position. I first had a phone call with him which was basically for them to to pitch to me the company and its culture. Then I had a technical interview over phone and unfortunately the person who interviewed me was extremely unprofessional and inexperience.

1- The interview started with some question about what I do at my current position. Then the person asked me about what feature selection/extraction technique we are using. Clearly, these information are confidential, so without naming the technique, I explain the way it works. I went through the detail of the algorithm to show that I know enough about concept. However, the interviewer kept asking me about the name of the algorithm. I was not willing to reveal inside confidential information from my current company. This is extremely unprofessional. Maybe the interviewer does not care about these sort of things but as a professional I must be royal to the secrets of my current company. This is why experienced people usually ask what techniques you know and not what technique you are using in your current position!

2- The interview moved to question about predictive analysis. I was explaining about different techniques and pros and cons of each. I was in the middle of my explanation (and even middle of a sentence) that the interviewer cut me off and said let's go to coding now. I found it very rude and this behavior totally distracted my thought process. He could have wait for one or two minutes and let me finished my discussion. Very irrespecutful!

3- The coding question was very simple from undergraduate java class. But again the lack of experience in the interviewer made everything a little awkward. I first did the program in a very fast paste and not very efficient (O(NLogN)). Then the interviewer asked me to speed it up. I explained where in the program we need to make adjustment. I even wrote it in words as comment in the program. However, I had some difficulty remembering the actual functions in python to call for this (expected since you can not use Google). I was saying that I know we need to do this and I know there is a python function to call but I can not remember the exact syntax. However, no feedback, no talk, no nothing from the interviewer. Finally I asked him to give me a hint. But he just repeated back what I had explained before in words. I am not sure if he didn't listen or he didn't know how to write it down either.

The process showed me is that people at data team probably are not very helpful and they are not very respectful to the others. If you are looking for open friendly environment to work in, this might not be the right place.

Interview Questions

• Write down a function that received
      1- s: string
      2- k: int
      and returns the top k most frequent words in the string.
      1 Answer

User Research Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied and received an email from a recruiter the following morning asking if I had time to converse. The next day, our conversation went well; he asked very job-specific questions, told me a little bit about the companies' future goals, and what their UXR team was looking for. After that, the recruiter set me up with another phone interview for the next day with a UX Researcher that I'd be working with. That conversation went well too. I really appreciated the ability to talk freely with both the researcher and the recruiter; they didn't ask typical cookie-cutter questions (like "where do you see yourself in 5 years? what are your strengths? etc.) They really focused on the role itself and how I saw myself working toward Chegg's mission.

After the phone interview, I came in for a 3-4 hour interview and met with the team. I felt that it went incredibly well and I felt good about it. After the in-person interview, the recruiter kept me informed about next steps. And then came an email after two days: they wanted me to complete an exercise and send them references.

Normally, any job candidate would probably take offense to this "exercise" request so late in the hiring process (after having met with the team and gone through all other interview processes). It's sort of backwards, but I truly believe that there was no bad intent behind it because the position was originally part-time and then in the middle of the interview process turned into full-time...and I'm sure for full-time candidates, taking some sort of test is mandatory. But had this been another circumstance, I would have probably thought it was in insult of my intelligence...like, had I "failed" the exercise, would I still be considered for the position after all that I been through? Again, seems like something that you'd want to do early in the game to weed out the "bad apples". But I digress.

Anyhow, I had a wonderful interview process for the most part. I loved the team, but I ended up receiving a clutch offer from a different company and had to decide fairly quickly. And while I loved Chegg and everything that it is trying to accomplish, I just couldn't bring myself to pass up on a solid offer elsewhere while I still had to do an exercise and wait for their offer, if they were going to give me one (in which the other one would have been voided). It was really just a matter of bad timing and I had to make a decision on-the-fly.

But again, it was an awesome interview process and I wish them the best of luck with all of their future endeavors.

Senior QA Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was screened via telephone by the engineering manager and passed. I was brought in to interview and told by the recruiter that I should complete a homework assignment and that that would be the basis of the interview rather than a whiteboard session. I was told specifically that I would not be subjected to a whiteboard torture session.

I did so (in less than 8 hours) and had it ready to go on my laptop for the interview (I posted it online as well - total transparency).

Sure enough, no one had read any email from the recruiter and they stood me up in front of a whiteboard and shelled me mercilessly (in pidgin English). No one wanted to see the code I had written. I spoke to 5 people and had I not known they all worked for Chegg I would never had guessed. They had no idea what they were looking for and there was no unified message communicated.

Interview Questions

• Write a test plan and automate it for any RESTful API using the language of your choice. I used Python and json-server (node.js).   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online from their website, then email and phone screening from recruiter, after that a phone interview from a engineer of that team, after that scheduled a onsite interview with 7 people! Luckily the long interview was interrupted after 3 interviewers, the recruiter just rudely sent me out without gave the reason, the company looks good but bad feeling after the weird onsite interview.