Chemonics International Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 10, 2017

62 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC).

Interview

Had a phone interview, general questions where asked. My French was tested as this was a French-speaking position. Interviewer said he would follow up but he never did. I tried following up once, but never heard back to that email.

Interview Questions

• In French: If you were in an elevator with the CEO of Chemonics, what would you say?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very professional and communicative throughout.
    Step One: Phone screen where basic questions were asked by an HR interviewer.
    Step Two: Panel interview with three members of the team, which lasted about 45 minutes. Each interviewer took turns asking questions consisting of about 10 total of situational and behavioral.
    Step Three: After 3+ weeks 1-on-1 meeting with the SVP but this was quite different compared to the previous interviews. It was informal conversation and the interviewer wanted to get to know the candidate. A few days later they contacted me that they were checking with my references. The following week an offer was made.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Chemonics and specifically this position?
      A lot of situational and behavioral questions so prepare with past challenges and experiences, what actions you took to overcome them and the results.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied and got an email asking for a phone interview, the phone interview was with a senior HR representative. I waited for the call and figures out that the HR representative had forgotten about my phone interview so I emailed her back asking if she wanted to reschedule my interview. I finally had the phone interview and it thought it went great and I was given a panel interview for the next day. The panel interview consisted of 3 people, mostly asking situational questions. I thought it went great too and was told that I would be contacted in a week. 2 weeks later I contacted the HR representative to get some news and never heard back. this was 4 months ago, so it is safe to assume that I did not get the position. The least they could have done was return my email and let me know that I did not get the position. Was very disappointed by the company.

Interview Questions

• when do you think it's best to communicate in person vs. email?   Answer Question

Project Management Associate (Associate A) Interview

Application

Interview

I applied for an entry-level project management associate position online, and received an offer two months later after going through a process that included a phone screen, panel interview, and interview with the region's Senior Vice President. The recruiter e-mailed me about a week or so after I applied and set up a phone interview. Ended up rescheduling because they forgot about it. When we did reschedule, during the interview she conferenced in a colleague to test my language skills. I didn't think I did very well but never the less moved on to the panel interview stage with three people from the region. The interview was via Skype (questions below). I didn't hear anything for a while, and then my references reached out to me and said they had been contacted. I had my third and final interview with a higher up in the region, which was a short conversation. I received an offer the same day. Overall it was a streamlined process, but there was a lot of back and forth and times when the recruiter was silent and not as responsive to my e-mails which is typical I guess. There weren't any tests.

I was a bit disappointed that the recruiter wasn't receptive to negotiation. Although the salary was cited at the beginning stages of the recruitment process, all entry level (called "associate a") associates make the same salary (high 40s) regardless of qualifications. The only way they can start you out at a higher salary, is if your current salary is more than that. And you would have to provide verification. I can definitely say that associates are underpaid and the workload is significant. They should consider salary increases across the board and scale them for people who exceed the requirements. The truth is, and the recruiter confirmed this during our conversation, they receive a very high volume of qualified people applying for associate positions, so they don't have to be that competitive with salaries. Unfortunately, that way of thinking is contradictory to the company's values and mission. This will lead to associates getting burned out and leaving because not only can they get paid more elsewhere, they can have better work life balance too. They may take advantage of Chemonics training and other resources and then move on.

Interview Questions

• -Two case study questions about prioritization/time management.
      -Describe an experience where you received feedback/criticism from someone
      -Two questions in another language
      -Organizational skills
      -Time you completed a project without having sufficient information
      -Why Chemonics?
      -Experience working with international peers/colleagues
      -Time when you went above and beyond my typical work duties
      -How your experience applies to this position   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC).

Interview

First, they will do a phone screen, if selected they will do a second interview, this one is a panel Interview with a director, manager and an associate. Interview is usually 10 questions, they will go around the table and each person will ask a question.

First 8 questions are behavioral, last two are case questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time type of interviews Leadership/compliance/reasoning   Answer Question

Project Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC).

Interview

-Online application
    -Phone interview 10 days later and was invited to next round at the end of phonecall
    -Panel interview 5 days later with 3 people
    -Interview with SVP 3 days later
    -2 days later HR told me they were contacting my references
    -Received an offer 5 days later that for a start date about 2 weeks from then

Total process of recruitment was quick (less than a month), transparent and everyone was friendly!

Interview Questions

• Phone interview- (First half in different language, then switched to English) Why is this a right time for you to come into a new position? Why Chemonics? What do you think this position will entail on a daily basis- what prepares you for that?

Panel interview with 3 people: Took turns asking me a series of 9 questions- 7 were based on my behavior and experiences and 2 were situational/scenario questions. We only got to 7 questions total, with several follow-up questions, but they debriefed me on what to expect at the beginning and only asked me one question in another language. Then I was given time to ask questions.

SVP interview: "Tell me about yourself" - informal conversation about my experience and interest in the organization. Switched between languages.   Answer Question

Program Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

Very similar to what others have described. The phone interview was mostly HR focused questions, with a few more substantial questions ("what makes you a good fit for this position?"). Also talked about the process post phone screen and described what next steps would be.

Interview Questions

• What makes you a good fit for this position?   1 Answer

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

I received an email to setup a phone interview with Liz. We scheduled the phone interview for the following week, and she called one or two minutes late (no big deal). She was very knowledgeable about the company and how they conduct their business. She spent the majority of the time explaining the position and the company, but she asked several questions relating to my knowledge, skills, and abilities. Most of the questions were softball questions; however, she did ask several behavioral questions. She continued to explain the next steps in the interview process, and I am waiting to hear back from her.

Interview Questions

• Why international development? Tell me what your most recent manager or supervisor would say your strengths and weaknesses are. What skills/experience do you have that are relevant to the position? Why are you interested in this position specifically?   Answer Question

Quality Management Unit Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

The process was simple and happened quickly. There was a short phone interview where HR asked basic behavioral questions followed by in-person interview two weeks later. The in person interview was a panel and each person asked questions from a sheet of paper. Basic behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a project that failed and what did you learn?   Answer Question

Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chemonics International (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

Very professional--first a screening call with an HR rep, then a panel interview. I found the process easy, quick, and even...fun! I felt the panel was engaging and willing to speak frankly about the position and what the work really was. They all seemed dedicated to their work and to the mission of the organization.

Interview Questions

• Which style guides do I have experience with, which do I like the best, and why?   Answer Question