Chemtura Interview Questions in Middlebury, CT | Glassdoor

3.2

4 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Finance Talent Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middlebury, CT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chemtura (Middlebury, CT).

Interview

I was contacted through Linkedin by the HR recruiter. He sent me a message detailing the Program. Entry level Finance program. 4 - 6 month rotations throughout the Finance Departments. All rotations typically on the Middlebury CT Campus. I replied back that I was interested in learning more about the program and attached my resume. The recruiter then applied for me through the Chemtura website using my resume. He then emailed me the job description and information about the company. From here he said set up a 1:1 phone interview for about 30 minutes - simple questions all focused on what was on my resume. From there he set up another phone interview for later on in the day with a Finance person that graduated the program a year prior. There were a couple easy technical questions such as describe the financial statements and their relationship to each other. He also asked about systems that I was familiar with. The second phone interview lasted about 15 minutes - I had a lot of co-op/internship experience that directly applied to the position. He then set up an interview for me to come to their campus. This day included 4 - 30 minute interviews. All with leaders within the different finance departments. These were all behavioral interviews - tell me about a time ..... and again questions regarding systems like tell me how familiar you are with TM1, hyperion, excel. Everyone was really nice and straight forward. One of the main concerns was about location. They are located in a very rural area and they know that young kids typically want to be located in a city atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you worked in a team.
      Name the financial statements and their relationship with each other. (I was told to refresh on CAPM and IRR prior to the interview, but they merely asked if I had taken any courses that taught these)   1 Answer

They only gave 1 week to respond to the offer and when I requested an extension to review other pending offers I was told they needed to get back to other candidates in a timely manner and could only give me 7 days. After a second request for an extension, I was granted an additional 7 days to consider the offer.
    On my application I put my minimum to accept would be 55k. The Salary offer was 50k (NACE says the bottom 10% get 55k) - Considering the Cost of living, my prior experience of 1 year that is directly related to the position, how much other companies pay for leadership programs, GPA, School ect. NACE and Salary.com determined my market value is significantly higher. I tried to negotiate 10k higher which is a fair range considering all those factors above but the recruiter responded back saying that the number wasn't going to change because according to their database the offer is competitive. I have no idea how they determined 5k less than the bottom 10% is competitive.
    Nice people. Alot of opportunity to learn early on but lower Salary offer than expected and no room for negotiation with such a short notice to respond made it really hard to make an informed decision. In the end I accepted an offer with a different company that offered what I was looking for in terms of salary and benefits.

Junior Financial Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middlebury, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Chemtura (Middlebury, CT) in February 2014.

Interview

Phone interview, heavily drawing on industry-standard behavioral questions. Asked a bit about me, but mostly going right through the question base. Questions included asking about my proudest moments and very insight-based inquiries.

Senior Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Middlebury, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Chemtura (Middlebury, CT).

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter, has one interview with an HR type and Assistant Controller. Contacted for a second interview two weeks later and was offered a job a week later at a lowball offer. Negotiated $10,000 higher pay and accepted. Biggest mistake of my life!

Negotiation

Easy, they caved to my higher pay demand right away.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Middlebury, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Chemtura (Middlebury, CT) in February 2013.

Interview

Initial screening by HR (monkeys throwing darts would have done a better job), followed by face-to-face interviews with people in the business. HR does a terrible job getting feedback and coalescing it into an official view of the candidate so it usually comes down to the hiring manager making a decision.

Interview Questions

• Give an example when faced with an ethical dilemma and what you did about it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They proposed a salary that was considerably more than I was making and I accepted.