Chevron Facilities Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Chevron Facilities Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Chevron

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chevron (Richmond, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

I was invited for an interview with a recruiter after meeting chevron on campus at a career fair. The interview was STAR based and dealt with different behavioral aspects of the job. I had prepared a few different scenarios after reviewing the STAR format online.. They give you time to think and to respond to the questions asked but I would suggest that you prepare a few experiences, ranging from sometime you had to make a difficult decision to times you were a leader.. basic behavioral situations.

Part of this interview that sticks out was a time when I was asked about being in a difficult situation. I talked about a time I was stumped and didn't know how to approach problem at a past job, so I admitted that to a superior and was helped out. My interviewer mentioned that this was a great example because as a facilities engineer, and new college graduate, there will be many many times when you come across something you don't know and will NEED to ask for help. Recognizing the limits to what you know is a valuable skill.

I was invited for an on site interview at the refinery after a week or two. I was contacted by my "host" who was another facilities engineer. They gave me an interview schedule and informed me that I would be giving a presentation. The presentation was on anything I wanted, but should be technical in nature. The day started with my ~12-15 presentation and ~10-20 minutes spent on questions/answers -- be sure to know your stuff when it comes to whatever technical presentation you give. They are looking at how well of a communicator you are and if you can put complex ideas/conceptualization into plain english.

Then came a few technical interviews on engineering fundamentals (some questions listed below) and a tour of the facilities. Finally the day ended with an interview with a higher-up manager but this was more like you interviewing the manager (rather than you being interviewed). It serves the purpose to talk about questions you have about the position, the benefits that chevron provides its employees, perks, etc.. I would prepare a lot of questions before getting on site. You interview with many people about the job and each one is going to ask you if you have any questions. I felt kind of bad about this interview because I had run out of questions through the day and I think the manager was expecting more questions out of me. If I could do it over I would have asked about 401k specifics, health insurance specifics, vacation time specifics, what aspects of the job are open to negotiations (salary, vacation days, starting date).

Interview Questions

• Technical on-site questions:
    Take me through what happens in a refinery -- from when crude comes in, to oil/gas/final product going out.
    Name a few different types of pumps?
    What are some ways you can join pipes together? Welding, Flange/Fasteners, Mated pipes
    Questions on piping a fluid? Inertia effects, (rho*g*h) = pressure, Bernoulli's eqn's...
    Fundamentally how a cracking tower works?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Chevron

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Chevron (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position through the school's website and on Chevron's website.There was an information session where Chevron representatives gave a presentation on the company and what positions were available. The interview process took place at my universities career center. It was about 30 minutes to 45 minutes long and I was given less than 24 hours notice. The interview was strictly behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you were not in a position of power, but had to assume a role of leadership.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Moscow, ID

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Chevron (Moscow, ID) in August 2011.

Interview

Open ended questions about social experiences in the workplace. Not really any technical questions. This was a university interview so I assume they knew I didn't know anything outside of school.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you worked on a team and the team failed.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Chevron (Houston, TX).

Interview

phone interview with HR first. a couple of weeks later got phone interview with potential team lead. a few weeks later, got invited to on site interview.

on site process:
    1. interview with team lead for 20min
    2. 40-min technical presentation
    3. individual interview with each team member (10-min each)
    4. lunch with team

Interview Questions

• technical questions on the presentation and your background   1 Answer

Facilities Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Chevron.

Interview

I applied through a college career fair. The interview was held on-campus within a week from the career fair and I was interviewed by two employees. Questions consisted mostly of describing times in your work experience where you were faced with a challenge, showed leadership,... The interview was slightly longer than an hour.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time in your work experience when you were faced with a challenge and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Facilities Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Chevron.

Interview

Applied to the position while in college. There was an on-campus career fair recruiting effort and resume drop. Then there was an on-campus in person interview. There were two interviewers for this interview or mostly behavioral questions. Then, there was an on-site (at Chevron) round of interviews. There were four separate interviewers and interviews. These were a mix of behavioral and experience-based questions.

Interview Questions

• What are your long-term career goals   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Chevron (Greensboro, NC) in September 2012.

Interview

I was given a behavior interview to see what type of person I was. Most of the questions were able previous experience and situations I've faced. They ultimately wanted to know how I work with others and go about solving problems.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you were forces to make a decision on the spot. How did you handle this situation and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Chevron (Houston, TX) in May 2011.

Interview

Panel interview, come prepared to cover many angles as interviewers may want to explore how you think and analyze situations from different perspectives. It is important to understand who is interviewing you to craft your responses adequately and to obtain feedback when you finish so you can keep improving.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions that engineering interviews consider.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Be flexible and know your numbers ahead of time.

Facilities Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Chevron in September 2014.

Interview

Interview followed the STAR process. Interviewers took notes of what you said. Questions like "Describe a time when you took charge, even though you were not appointed the leader." Interviewers were nice, but very short when you asked questions. Do your research and obtain in depth knowledge of the company and projects that the role you are interviewing for works on.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you took charge, even though you were not appointed the leader.
      Describe a time during a team project you encountered disagreement within the team.   Answer Question

Facilities Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Chevron in March 2012.

Interview

Typical interview scenario questions from multiple people. Several different rooms that I was brought around to to discuss questions from engineering, management, HR, and supervisors to determine my troubleshooting skills and historical work that would apply to future scenarios.

Interview Questions

• Several questions were asked in terms of working with difficult people, scenario development for operating conditions, troubleshooting, and connects around what resources to use to solve difficult problems.   Answer Question