Chevron Financial Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Chevron Financial Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at Chevron

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Chevron (San Ramon, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

Very straightforward one on one interviewing process, mostly behavioral-based questions, will ask things about the company such as: who do you think are our competitors, etc. recruiter will expect you to elaborate on your answers and demonstrate some knowledge about the oil and gas industry.
Expect some questions about your resume, activities that you did, why you did them, etc. Will ask if you are willing to relocate. If you have the opportunity, tell them as much stuff that you know about recent oil and gas events as possible – you should always do your research before walking into the interview room.

Interview Questions

• Who do you think are our competitors?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Chevron

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Chevron (Houston, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

INITIAL CONTACT:

After applying online I was contacted by a recruiter and scheduled an interview for the following week.

INTERVIEW FORMAT

3 - 40 minute interviews (2 hr interview total)

INTERVIEW STYLE

HIGHLY IMPORTANT:

Behavioral Interview

1. Have 4-5 personal/work stories dealing with communication/teamwork/solving conflict
    2. Be prepared to tell stories in STAR format : Situation, Task, Action, Result

Know the Company

1. Why do you want to work at Chevron?

Know about accounting!

1. What is the difference between the statement of cash flows and the income statement?
    2. How do you know whether to capitalize or expense an item?

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between the statement of cash flows and the income statement? Why is their net income different?   1 Answer
    • How would you know whether to capitalize or expense an item?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Chevron (Concord, CA) in April 2008.

Interview

I interviewed with them through an agency, the interview was about 20 minutes long and was regarding what I had done previously. Since this was my first position in the USA and out of college, I did not have much experience the interview focused on my studies. After that they conducted a backround check and drug test and about a week later I had the job.

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Chevron (San Ramon, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

There were 3 different interviews lasting about 45 minutes each. They were all non-technical questions. The interviews were geared towards assessing your personality, leadership capabilities/potential, and goals and aspirations. The interviewers were all very friendly and not intimidating.

Overall, the interviews were not difficult, as long as you are well prepared and equipped with interviewing experience.

Interview Questions

• As stated above all of the questions were non-technical questions. However, they did ask a few situational questions. For example, "please provide an example of a situation where you were given a leadership role and handled a difficult problem."   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't much room for negotiation for the position I applied for. They explained to me that there was a standard pay for this specific position, which was later verified by other coworkers that accepted the same position. All in all, it was a straighforward and painless process.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chevron (Houston, TX).

Interview

Applied through my school's career services website. First interview, at my school campus, was one-on-one and lasted about 40-45 minutes. Second round consisted of three interviews at their office building, all of them one-on-one and all lasting about 45 minutes each. Heard back within a week after first round, and within two weeks after second round.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral questions and some basic accounting questions, nothing too complicated. eg. Free cash flow vs. net income, capitalization, depreciation vs. amortization.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Chevron in October 2013.

Interview

Interviewed through college recruiting, and had a 30 minute interview on campus. The interview was standard with behavioral questions, specifically geared towards leadership qualities. There were a few accounting/finance technical questions to start.

At the end of the interview, I asked my interviewee what they were looking for in a candidate. The response was "the high GPA gets you in the door with an interview, but I look for that special something extra that I can't easily describe".

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Chevron (Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

There were different areas hiring actually as financial, supply chain and accounting. The first part was in a room with 7 people approximately each one with a specific area. They looked through your CV and asked just easy questions. Background then if they liked your resume you would go to the next round where the questions were more specific to the degree you take and you intend to do with it.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chevron.

Interview

Selected through MBA on-grounds recruiting to interview for leadership development program. Brought in for final round interviews, consisting of four 45-min interviews. Everyone was very courteous, and interview questions focused more on behavioral, why interested in energy/oil, and a few questions about how to evaluate projects. A good understanding of how integrated oil & gas companies are structured and how the oil & gas markets functions is important, but Chevron is even more interested in how you will work first as an individual contributor, your enthusiasm for the industry, and willingness to rotate assignments every few years to broaden your knowledge and experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chevron (College Station, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied through on-campus recruiting and was notified that I was selected for an interview within a few weeks of applying. I answered all of the "technical" accounting/oil & gas related questions fairly easily but still did not receive an offer. They try to hire most of their full time employees from their internship classes so go into the interviews with the mindset of wanting to work for them full time. Also, they want you to be open to working overseas.

Interview Questions

• Explain to me what a Income Statement, Cash Flow Statement, and Balance Sheet are and how they all relate to each other.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Chevron (Seattle, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

On campus interview with two people. Mostly Fairly straightforward behavioral questions using the STAR method. No technical questions were asked besides some basic stuff about the financial statements. From my experience, it seems like they are looking for people who are willing to relocate to other countries for extended projects.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too bad, but they asked you to walk them through all three financial statements   Answer Question