Chevron Interview Questions in Richmond, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 22, 2016

3.2

Chemist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chevron (Richmond, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

I gave a talk about my research to a bunch of people then I had a panel interview with 4 managers and after that they took me to lunch and tour of the facility

OEM Approval Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chevron (Richmond, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter and was interviewed through phone to go over some basic information/background and interest. Then, advanced to on-site interview for more job specific and personality questions. Overall, the interview questions focused more on situational questions and they were more interested on how you will handle certain situations.

Interview Questions

• What do you think Chevron can provide you and vice versa?   Answer Question

Refinery Operator Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Chevron (Richmond, CA).

Interview

Basic STAR interview technique. When offering situations, tasks, actions, and results from past experiences, make sure to be thorough and gear answers toward the position you are applying for for relevancy.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to make an unauthorized decision. What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation

not negotiable.

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chevron (Richmond, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Applied through website. The whole process took about 2 weeks. First a phone interview mostly asking about my resume and past experiences. Had an in-person interview in front of a panel of 5 people (my would-be supervisor and team). The interview lasted about 2 hours.

Facilities Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chevron (Richmond, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

I was invited for an interview with a recruiter after meeting chevron on campus at a career fair. The interview was STAR based and dealt with different behavioral aspects of the job. I had prepared a few different scenarios after reviewing the STAR format online.. They give you time to think and to respond to the questions asked but I would suggest that you prepare a few experiences, ranging from sometime you had to make a difficult decision to times you were a leader.. basic behavioral situations.

Part of this interview that sticks out was a time when I was asked about being in a difficult situation. I talked about a time I was stumped and didn't know how to approach problem at a past job, so I admitted that to a superior and was helped out. My interviewer mentioned that this was a great example because as a facilities engineer, and new college graduate, there will be many many times when you come across something you don't know and will NEED to ask for help. Recognizing the limits to what you know is a valuable skill.

I was invited for an on site interview at the refinery after a week or two. I was contacted by my "host" who was another facilities engineer. They gave me an interview schedule and informed me that I would be giving a presentation. The presentation was on anything I wanted, but should be technical in nature. The day started with my ~12-15 presentation and ~10-20 minutes spent on questions/answers -- be sure to know your stuff when it comes to whatever technical presentation you give. They are looking at how well of a communicator you are and if you can put complex ideas/conceptualization into plain english.

Then came a few technical interviews on engineering fundamentals (some questions listed below) and a tour of the facilities. Finally the day ended with an interview with a higher-up manager but this was more like you interviewing the manager (rather than you being interviewed). It serves the purpose to talk about questions you have about the position, the benefits that chevron provides its employees, perks, etc.. I would prepare a lot of questions before getting on site. You interview with many people about the job and each one is going to ask you if you have any questions. I felt kind of bad about this interview because I had run out of questions through the day and I think the manager was expecting more questions out of me. If I could do it over I would have asked about 401k specifics, health insurance specifics, vacation time specifics, what aspects of the job are open to negotiations (salary, vacation days, starting date).

Interview Questions

• Technical on-site questions:
      Take me through what happens in a refinery -- from when crude comes in, to oil/gas/final product going out.
      Name a few different types of pumps?
      What are some ways you can join pipes together? Welding, Flange/Fasteners, Mated pipes
      Questions on piping a fluid? Inertia effects, (rho*g*h) = pressure, Bernoulli's eqn's...
      Fundamentally how a cracking tower works?
      Answer Question

Refinery Chemist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chevron (Richmond, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Two interviews - one screening via telephone, one on site. The screening interview was very positive. The on-site interview was with a group of professionals related to the position. It began very well. However, a portion of the corporate interview structure involved describing past achievements with specific, measurable details. I was unprepared to answer in sufficient detail for their process.

Interview Questions

• Several questions regarding specific technical details and itemized monetary payoff of technical support from projects completed multiple years ago. Example: What brand/part did you use to improve equipment for [specific process]? How much monetary gain/savings resulted?   1 Answer

Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Chevron (Richmond, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Was first contacted by recruiting agency for telephone screen. Then there was a telephone interview with the hiring manager. In-person Interview is usually a panel of at least three people and is 45 minutes. They will tell you a bit about the job and then dive into behavior-based interview questions. You are expected to answer in the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Results). I think there were 4 questions. You are then given any remaining time for questions or to add anything you wish they had asked.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had an opinion that was different from the group and you felt you weren't being heard.   Answer Question

Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Chevron (Richmond, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

A group of managers and supervisors all interviewing you and asking you questions. It was a bit nerve wracking. They asked the basic questions such as inquiring about past work experiences and what are your strengths and weaknesses. They were quite nice and made me feel quite comfortable during the process. I found the process to be very quick as I received a reply that day and everything was taken care of.

Negotiation