Chevron Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 22, 2016

2.9

Chemist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chevron (Richmond, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

I gave a talk about my research to a bunch of people then I had a panel interview with 4 managers and after that they took me to lunch and tour of the facility

OEM Approval Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chevron (Richmond, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter and was interviewed through phone to go over some basic information/background and interest. Then, advanced to on-site interview for more job specific and personality questions. Overall, the interview questions focused more on situational questions and they were more interested on how you will handle certain situations.

Interview Questions

• What do you think Chevron can provide you and vice versa?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Chevron (San Ramon, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with hiring manager, asked basic questions about me and knowledge of the position. Too many questions about my current work that didn't seem relevant to the job. Found out 2 weeks after the interview that they went with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• At end of the interview asked me how much I currently made.   1 Answer

Refinery Operator Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Chevron (Richmond, CA).

Interview

Basic STAR interview technique. When offering situations, tasks, actions, and results from past experiences, make sure to be thorough and gear answers toward the position you are applying for for relevancy.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to make an unauthorized decision. What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation

not negotiable.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Chevron (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

2 Phone interview then in person interview. Interviewers were friendly and approachable.

Basic questions were asked. Describe your past positions, where do you see yourself. Tell me about yourself. Why do you want this position?

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chevron (Richmond, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Applied through website. The whole process took about 2 weeks. First a phone interview mostly asking about my resume and past experiences. Had an in-person interview in front of a panel of 5 people (my would-be supervisor and team). The interview lasted about 2 hours.

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chevron (Berkeley, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

On campus interview for new college hires. The people were polite and expectations well communicated. It was me and two representatives, and the atmosphere was relaxed.

The interview format focused on the STAR format. Situation Task Action Result. This is a common form of interviewing, and works pretty well when you have the experience they are looking for. The form focuses on specific examples of how you behaved in the past, not hypothetical situations on how you would behave.

This form was communicated ahead of time, but it was implied to cover a wide range of topics, from technical achievements to personal skills and leadership. The interview was completely skewed towards leadership. I did not get any questions on how to problem solve technical issues, but spent an hour talking about how to navigate people issues, both in softer interpersonal and leadership in tough times. This probably reflects the work required of an entry level process engineer at Chevron.

I suggest tailoring your narrative around hierarchical leadership experiences. I don't have a lot of experience where I was directly in charge and tried to instead focus on collaborative experiences. I don't know if they didn't like that strategy or just didn't like me but the result was that it didn't work.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you exhibited leadership in a stressful environment?   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Chevron (San Ramon, CA).

Interview

1 phone screen followed by onsite interviews a few weeks later. On site interviews (2) were 2:1 setup with each lasting 1 hour. Very fair, nothing off the wall, and very focused on fit with the Corporate culture.

Interview Questions

• Is staying within legal boundaries, good enough for corporations and their employees?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Company was unwilling to negotiate.

Facilities Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chevron (Richmond, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

I was invited for an interview with a recruiter after meeting chevron on campus at a career fair. The interview was STAR based and dealt with different behavioral aspects of the job. I had prepared a few different scenarios after reviewing the STAR format online.. They give you time to think and to respond to the questions asked but I would suggest that you prepare a few experiences, ranging from sometime you had to make a difficult decision to times you were a leader.. basic behavioral situations.

Part of this interview that sticks out was a time when I was asked about being in a difficult situation. I talked about a time I was stumped and didn't know how to approach problem at a past job, so I admitted that to a superior and was helped out. My interviewer mentioned that this was a great example because as a facilities engineer, and new college graduate, there will be many many times when you come across something you don't know and will NEED to ask for help. Recognizing the limits to what you know is a valuable skill.

I was invited for an on site interview at the refinery after a week or two. I was contacted by my "host" who was another facilities engineer. They gave me an interview schedule and informed me that I would be giving a presentation. The presentation was on anything I wanted, but should be technical in nature. The day started with my ~12-15 presentation and ~10-20 minutes spent on questions/answers -- be sure to know your stuff when it comes to whatever technical presentation you give. They are looking at how well of a communicator you are and if you can put complex ideas/conceptualization into plain english.

Then came a few technical interviews on engineering fundamentals (some questions listed below) and a tour of the facilities. Finally the day ended with an interview with a higher-up manager but this was more like you interviewing the manager (rather than you being interviewed). It serves the purpose to talk about questions you have about the position, the benefits that chevron provides its employees, perks, etc.. I would prepare a lot of questions before getting on site. You interview with many people about the job and each one is going to ask you if you have any questions. I felt kind of bad about this interview because I had run out of questions through the day and I think the manager was expecting more questions out of me. If I could do it over I would have asked about 401k specifics, health insurance specifics, vacation time specifics, what aspects of the job are open to negotiations (salary, vacation days, starting date).

Interview Questions

• Technical on-site questions:
      Take me through what happens in a refinery -- from when crude comes in, to oil/gas/final product going out.
      Name a few different types of pumps?
      What are some ways you can join pipes together? Welding, Flange/Fasteners, Mated pipes
      Questions on piping a fluid? Inertia effects, (rho*g*h) = pressure, Bernoulli's eqn's...
      Fundamentally how a cracking tower works?
      Answer Question

Health, Safety, Environment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chevron (Berkeley, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied through university, process took 2+ weeks, I was contacted for an on campus interview in the career center, two people interviewed me, one young professional and an older woman, both friendly and informal, I dressed professional and it was probably over the top