Chicago Board Options Exchange Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Chicago Board Options Exchange Interview Questions

3.7

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Chicago Board Options Exchange (Chicago, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

Telephone Interview. Basic HR questions, but very slow to respond back after the initial phone interview. Also lacking a follow up one month after, while they are still looking into the position (very slow).

Interview Questions

• What was an experience where you had to take charge in order to solve a problem?   Answer Question

Engineer, Systems Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Board Options Exchange (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

Very uneasy and awkward. I had three software engineers interview me initially and a lead software engineer i alone after. All eyes on me and no smiles, didn't introduce themselves upon entering the room. Majority of them were foreign, so understanding some of the questions was hard: Difference between an abstract class an record class (mean't regular). It seems like majority of the engineers were absolutely miserable, and upon explaining the role stated that I would be forced to be on call at all times and frequently come to the office over night (normal in IT, but the way they made it sound like it was awful).

I was asked to bring resumes, but upon handing them out, no one took them making it even more awkward. The best part was being told that my bachelors in Computer Science was essentially worthless because I was not java certified.

The single best part of the interview was being asked the same question between the software engineers and the senior engineer. I was asked by both the middle engineers and the senior engineer which is the last instruction of a non-void method that contains a "try-catch-finally" statement: the value returned, or the "finally" statement. The middle engineers states the finally, which was what I answered with. The senior engineer stated that was wrong, and that the return value happens after the finally.

Not a pleasant experience at all.

Interview Questions

• Difference between an abstract class and regular class?   Answer Question
    • What is multithreading? What are the pro's and con's?   Answer Question
    • Given a username and password with a relational database table containing login information, write out the method and statement to verify authentication.   Answer Question
    • If a user gives a username and password and authenticates themselves through a web app, what do you do when the database returns two rows containing the same username but different passwords?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Chicago Board Options Exchange (Chicago, IL) in May 2008.

Interview

Applied online through experience.com and received an email response back from the company the next day. They did an initial phone call interview to get a feel for me. I was then invited in for an interview with two individuals from the department. I was invited back for a second round where I met with the entire department. I received a call to tell me that it was close, but that they went with someone else.

Interview Questions

• Which do you think is more important: loyalty or integrity?   Answer Question
    • How do you best like to communicate with other members of the department (i.e., phone, email, in-person, etc.)?   Answer Question
Employer Interview Review Title Location Interview Question
Chicago Board Options Exchange Quality Assurance Engineer Interview Chicago, IL What was an experience where you had to take charge in order to solve a problem?
Chicago Board Options Exchange Engineer, Systems Development Interview Chicago, IL Difference between an abstract class and regular class?
Chicago Board Options Exchange Engineer, Systems Development Interview Chicago, IL What is multithreading? What are the pro's and con's?
Chicago Board Options Exchange Engineer, Systems Development Interview Chicago, IL Given a username and password with a relational database table containing login information, write out the method and statement to verify authentication.
Chicago Board Options Exchange Engineer, Systems Development Interview Chicago, IL If a user gives a username and password and authenticates themselves through a web app, what do you do when the database returns two rows containing the same username but different passwords?
Chicago Board Options Exchange Intern Interview Chicago, IL Which do you think is more important: loyalty or integrity?
Chicago Board Options Exchange Intern Interview Chicago, IL How do you best like to communicate with other members of the department (i.e., phone, email, in-person, etc.)?