Chicago Board Options Exchange Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.5

15 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Windows Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Board Options Exchange (Kansas City, MO) in July 2017.

Interview

Phone call with a manager that was obviously uninterested in the call. Even though I was more qualified than the interviewer from what I gathered I never heard anything back other than a denial email. Only apply if you are the BEST of the BEST

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Chicago Board Options Exchange (Chicago, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

Telephone Interview. Basic HR questions, but very slow to respond back after the initial phone interview. Also lacking a follow up one month after, while they are still looking into the position (very slow).

Interview Questions

• What was an experience where you had to take charge in order to solve a problem?   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Chicago Board Options Exchange (Chicago, IL).

Interview

VERY Thorough and detailed, lengthy and long. You had better know your stuff and have detailed industry knowledge and be able to prove it in writing. One on One interviews with many people. NO salary negotiation. Everyone is very nice, and have been there many decades.

Engineer, Systems Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Board Options Exchange (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

Very uneasy and awkward. I had three software engineers interview me initially and a lead software engineer i alone after. All eyes on me and no smiles, didn't introduce themselves upon entering the room. Majority of them were foreign, so understanding some of the questions was hard: Difference between an abstract class an record class (mean't regular). It seems like majority of the engineers were absolutely miserable, and upon explaining the role stated that I would be forced to be on call at all times and frequently come to the office over night (normal in IT, but the way they made it sound like it was awful).

I was asked to bring resumes, but upon handing them out, no one took them making it even more awkward. The best part was being told that my bachelors in Computer Science was essentially worthless because I was not java certified.

The single best part of the interview was being asked the same question between the software engineers and the senior engineer. I was asked by both the middle engineers and the senior engineer which is the last instruction of a non-void method that contains a "try-catch-finally" statement: the value returned, or the "finally" statement. The middle engineers states the finally, which was what I answered with. The senior engineer stated that was wrong, and that the return value happens after the finally.

Not a pleasant experience at all.

Interview Questions

• Difference between an abstract class and regular class?   Answer Question
    • What is multithreading? What are the pro's and con's?   Answer Question
    • Given a username and password with a relational database table containing login information, write out the method and statement to verify authentication.   Answer Question
    • If a user gives a username and password and authenticates themselves through a web app, what do you do when the database returns two rows containing the same username but different passwords?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Board Options Exchange (Chicago, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

I received a job description via email from their HR department. I replied back that I didn't meet all their requirements. Two weeks later, they contacted me again, saying they will still interview me for the position. The next day I scheduled a phone call with their HR department to get an overview of the job. I scheduled an in person interview with the manager and the director of the department.

Interview Questions

• There was a written test. And since I didn't meet the requirements, some of the questions we knocked off which was very nice.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Chicago Board Options Exchange in May 2014.

Interview

Spoke on the phone with HR. Very friendly and communicative. I accepted the offer as soon as they gave it to me. Great internship interview process. They made the whole process easy and stress free.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Chicago Board Options Exchange (Chicago, IL) in April 2014.

Interview

Very well and thoroughly conducted interview process. Professional but also not too intimidating.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Chicago Board Options Exchange (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

All applicants must apply via Human Resources with their resume and cover letter in late fall. In the winter, there was a phone interview in which applicants were asked about their interests in the industry and the company intself. In the spring applicants are notified via phone call on whether they received the job.

Interview Questions

• The questions were quite general - "What interests you most in working for an exchange?"   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Board Options Exchange (Chicago, IL) in November 2013.

Interview

Standard interview process where questions on design patterns, integration patterns are asked along with few questions related with Java. There were a few behavior questions and big picture questions and few basic questions on the business side - what's a put option, what's a call option, what's a future and strategy.

Interview Questions

• Name few of the design patterns that you have used in your projects   Answer Question

Compensation Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Board Options Exchange in May 2013.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter for the position. It was a great interview process and very efficient, however I felt like they could have been faster making a desicion. I had a phone screen with the hiring manager, followed by an onsite interview with the hiring manager, a group of peers, and the Vice President.

Interview Questions

• Vice President asked some very specific technical questions   Answer Question

Seemed like a great group and a great organization, but I wasn't ready for a move.