Chicago Public Schools Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Updated May 12, 2017

2.8

School Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

After applying through the CPS career website, I was contacted via email that I had been selected to come in for an interview. I needed to reply in order to confirm my interest in the position. Roughly 4 days later, my interview date and time were emailed and once again I had to confirm my interest. The interview was fairly simple. It consisted of a 30 min test (answering questions to see the ability to answer questions and testing excel skills). It was followed by a 30-45 min conversation with the school principal regarding my skills and qualifications.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself.
      Describe your personality.
      Why are you interested in this specific position?
      The excel test was basic (testing your ability to use the sort function).
      Some translating.
      Answer Question

Substitute Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL).

Interview

This process has been arduous at best. I wish that the timeline was better explained when I began this process as it has been fairly frustrating. I applied for a substitute license on 2/28 and received it on 3/16. I applied that day to sub for CPS and received an invite to interview in person for 3/29. As of right now, 4/3, I still have not been approved for the "quality teacher pool". I have been told it may take several weeks to hear back from this interview. Once you're approved into that pool there is an onboarding process which involves a TB test, fingerprinting, and background check. The onboarding process likely takes around ~2 weeks from my understanding. The interview was very speedy. It was like being called up at the DMV and it is first come first serve. It does not matter what time your interview is, to be honest. Bring a book because cell reception is rough and you may have to wait close to an hour. Overall the process has so far cost $110 (registering license and applying for it) and is looking like it will take roughly 2-3 months from when I decided to become a sub to actually becoming one. Another important thing to know is that if you don't sub during a 90 day period you have to start this process over (minus the license)!

School Social Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

The process was very regimented (in a good way). First I completed a writing sample and then they asked a spreadsheet of questions to maintain consistency between candidates. The interviewers were positive, warm and personable throughout the interview. They did appear to appreciate the questions that I asked them at the end. It did run extremely long, as I started almost an hour late.

Interview Questions

• How have you handled conflicting opinions between group members when working in a team environment?   Answer Question

Special Education Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Most interviews were very simple as they needed to fill the position as soon as possible as they were non-compliant with the law if the schools was not providing students with the required minutes per their IEPs. They fill based on need rather than ability and to save themselves the stress.

Interview Questions

• What makes you an excellent candidate in our school? Why would you be a good fit for this position?   Answer Question

Principal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview consisted of a 10 panel members of the Local School Council. The LSC asked a series of questions for an hour and half. The council was very warm and welcoming as I entered the school. What was unusual was the presence of children in a close

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a parent was irate and screaming at you in the presence of the students and staff?   Answer Question

Clerical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Excellent interview, great personalities a great work environment wonderful place to work at great environment excellent people employees very clean very professional, the location is accessible also have handicap facilities and Grace security

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

A process that should have taken 2-3 weeks took close to 3 months. The Teacher Quality Pool is a process that does not seem necessary when it takes an exorbitant amount of time and hinders the ability to apply to open teaching positions.

Spanish Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Met with Department Chairperson and Administration as well as key department members. In person Demonstration lesson required on second interview with existing students for a level 1 language class. Chose a grammar lesson with key highlights for any heritage or native speakers along w/lower level students. Culturally inclusive of students in front of me an the world language. 20 minutes. Overall good experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a unit you use for teaching _____?
      Classroom management styles/methods requested with elaboration on hypothetical situations.
      Basic interested and getting to know you questions.
      Describe a difficult teaching moment and how you handled it and why.
      Answer Question

Teacher Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

After a friend at the school put in my resume I was contacted to set up a phone screening interview. After the phone screening I was invited to interview in person in a panel interview a few days later. Was told they had a few other interviews to complete and would get back to me, but never heard anything from them again.

Interview Questions

• Describe a small group lesson and how you used assessment to inform your instruction.   Answer Question

Senior Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The interview was largely non existent. I knew the hiring manager from working with him year previous, the interview process was waived. This is very typical of the hiring process at CPS - if you know someone you can have door opened for you. If you dont, then you might be out of luck. It is a corrupt process that does not bring in the best employees, so expect to work with people who have little to no work ethic.