Google Interview Question: Choose a city and estimate ho... | Glassdoor

Interview Question

Product Manager Interview New York, NY

Choose a city and estimate how many Piano Tuners operate a

business there.
Answer

Interview Answer

6 Answers

Made some assumptions, seems with these its best to make an assumption rather than ask a question and check with them that the assumption is ok

Interview Candidate on Apr 20, 2015

Chernobyl - Zero

Soheil on Jun 19, 2015

Oh no - are they still asking the piano tuners question! :-( Arghhh..

Anonymous on Jun 26, 2015

This is a Fermi problem- search for fermi problems for answers

Anonymous on Jan 29, 2016

Let's choose a city, say Los Angeles. Let's start with the population of Los Angeles. I know that New York has a population of 5M. I'm going to assume that Los Angeles is roughly the same (although its probably smaller). Let's go with 5M inhabitants.

5 * 10^6 inhabitants.

Now lets start making some assumptions.
1) I know that roughly 3 people occupy each home. So we can assume that in LA there are roughly 5/3 * 10^6 homes.
2) Not all homes will have a piano. Lets assume that 10% of homes will have a piano. This will result in 5/3 * 10^5 pianos.
3) Now a piano tuner can probably tune 1 piano a day. I don't know what tuning is but maybe that's reasonable? That means, a single piano tuner will be able to tune 300 pianos a year
4) Now, how many tunings does a piano need per year. Once again 1 sounds reasonable.

lets put it all together. To guesttimate the number of piano tuners, all we need is # of tuning opportunities per year / # of tunings per tuner per year.
= 5/3 * 10^5 / 300
= 5/9 * 10^3
= 550 piano tuners that can be gainfully employed.

This number seems reasonable :)

Sparthan on Jul 16, 2016

One or more comments have been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.