Chubb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

Sort:

Underwriter Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Chubb (Warren, NJ).

Interview

Applied online and got a phone screen after 3-4 weeks. Phone interview were very general behavioral questions, took about 20-30minutes. Then got an offer to come in for an on-site interview, which were 6 interviews with different managers. There were about 30 candidates total in the pool and more than half of them had relatives working at the company already. I thought it was decent position for a recent college graduate like myself, but the trainee position consisted about a year long, and they put you in any branch they want you to work in after. Overall, it was good interview experience, although the underwriter managers seemed little uptight.

Underwriting Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Chubb in November 2011.

Interview

Three rounds of interview at a nice office in downtown. Friendly and experienced people. Questions like walk through your resume, why you want to work for Chubb etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Chubb (Alpharetta, GA).

Interview

I applied/interviewed for this position. I was brought in for the first set of interviewing with 3 separate individuals, after a phone interview(I had experience just not this form of UW and was told 98% of individuals who come in DONT have the experience). Waited OVER a month for a decision only to find out I didn't get the job. I applied 5 months later(the position had been reposted) only to find out from the recruiter the reason I wasn't hired prior was because they had given this position to an internal candidate(who came from claims) and they didn't like the role and wanted to go back. So I was scheduled a second set of interviews w/ some of the same individuals(thinking this should be a breeze) they all remembered me and enjoyed speaking to me, blah blah blah. I left there VERY confident(in my mind I KNEW I had the job) I waited around 3 weeks after emailing the recruiter to find it I didn't get the job because they went w/ someone w/ more experience!!! Wait what? More experience? I wasted so much time driving back and forth, and had many conversation, emails back and fourth, and this? I will NEVER apply for another position w/ this company, and I will make sure I tell EVERYONE I know NOT to apply. They have left a very bad taste. DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS COMPANY!!!!

Interview Questions

• Do you need experience for this position?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chubb (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

I had one-on-one interview with the operations manager, HR and senior underwriter of the department I was interviewing for. Questions were typical, like tell us more about your experience. Interviewing process was relatively easy. They did not ask too many insurance-specific or technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions were typical, like tell us more about your experience. Interviewing process was relatively easy. They did not ask too many insurance-specific or technical questions.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Chubb in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Received a phone call the next week asking me to come in for an interview. I went into the interview and met with 5 different people for 15- 30 mins each. The questions varied from being very behavioral based to just getting to know me better. Overall, it was a very laid back and went smoothly. Be prepared for the typical, "why do you want this job" questions.

Interview Questions

• "What was a mistake you made and how did you learn from it?" "How would your current employees describe you?" "How do you handle conflict?" "How do you handle a large workload?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

I wasn't in a place to negotiate. The offered salary was very good.

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley Heights, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chubb (Berkeley Heights, NJ) in April 2012.

Interview

Consisted of a phone interview with an HR person about my basic background and skills. I believe a week later, I had a 1:1 interview with 3 people at the office. Got an offer a few business days later. It went very well from beginning to end. Everyone was very nice and seemed very happy. The office was amazing as well.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Chubb.

Interview

four people interviewed. three are technical. one is Manager interview. Technical interview is easy not detail. Asked whether we know skill set required for job. not many technical questions.

Actuarial Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Chubb in December 2014.

Interview

The process took awhile. I received an email to have a phone interview/screen, and it took place about three weeks after that. After a few days, I got an email asking me to come in to interview with a bunch of their actuaries (around 6 if I remember right). That process was great – I went to both their campuses in New Jersey and the people I met were really friendly. You could tell they really enjoyed doing what they do and that Chubb put them in a position to succeed. The questions weren't overly difficult, mostly behavioral (although there were some brain teasers and technical questions). They took about two months to get back to me though, which is the only part of the process that I didn't really enjoy.

Interview Questions

• Can you explain what the VLOOKUP function does?   Answer Question
    • Why qualities do you have that will make you stand out from the rest as an Actuary?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Chubb (Warren, NJ).

Interview

This was for a job requiring a few years of experience. I applied online, and I got an email request to schedule a phone interview 3-4 days after applying. I had a short phone interview with HR, where they asked me a little about my background, and then I had a chance to ask them questions general about the position and company. About a week after that I got an email from someone else in HR to schedule a phone interview with an actuary. At this time, they also had me fill out a more detailed/formal application than I had originally needed to fill out when applying. I had a 45 minute phone interview where he asked me questions about my experience, what I was looking for in a new role, and he told me about his background, what he liked about the company, and allowed me time to ask him questions. We went a little over the allotted time. The next day, I got a call from HR asking me if I could come in for an on site interview within the next day or two. We arranged a day for me to come in. I had a half day interview with five actuaries. Some of them had lists of prepared questions, which seemed odd - it was not the conversational interview structure I was used to, and some of the prepared questions didn't make sense because they were things I had already answered in response to previous questions, etc. It was hard to get a personal connection with the interviewers. Another of the interviewers asked fairly technical questions - showing me numbers on a page and asking me what my thoughts were, what patterns I saw, etc. It was difficult since I did not have experience in that specific area. The interviewers all also frequently brought up that the position was demanding at certain times of the year, and that it was hard to get study time, vacation time, etc. They all seemed nice, but it didn't feel like a good fit. The culture did not feel very innovative compared to where I worked. I also was not sure I wanted to work in that practice area after learning more about it during the interview. Soon afterwards, I got an offer. The salary was low (not much more than I was already making, and I could expect to be making that within a few months from exam raises and/or merit increases at the company where I was working). Also, the study program was not competitive with the company where I was, and the exam raises were much lower, so I would actually be expecting to be at a lower salary level after a few exams if I accepted. I decided that overall it did not feel like a good career move, and the position didn't feel right for what I was looking for, so I did not try to negotiate salary and declined the offer. Shortly after, ACE bought Chubb, so I felt I made the right decision, since I might have been on the chopping block.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain the concept of IBNR to a 5 year old?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehouse Station, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Chubb (Whitehouse Station, NJ) in November 2018.

Interview

I gave my resume to a speaker at our club and a recruiter reached out later for a phone interview. Then I was invited for an on-site interview with 6 staff members ranging from an analyst to the Actuarial Manager.