Ciena Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

155 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover, MA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Ciena (Hanover, MA).

Interview

Initial phone interview with HR, then follow up two phone interviews with hiring manager and peer. Phone interviews went well. Face to Face, different experience. 4 interviews in 4 hours, very rushed and not coordinated between interview panelists. What Ciena wanted vs what they posted on the job description were polar opposites.

For this position, it was disappointing and shocking that no questions related to Leadership skills, management of people, or team collaboration. This gave me a sense right there that this was not a company for me.

Given the rushed time frame on the interview process, very little time for questions of mine to be asked. Followed up with an email thanking for the opportunity and asking those questions. Hiring manager never bother responded. Another warning sign. I felt they were not sincere in the search, but utilized my answers for consulting.

Interview Questions

• How do you approach analyzing and setting strategic objectives   Answer Question

Ciena Response

Jun 27, 2017 – Director, Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. As an organization that prides itself on our candidate experience your feedback is of great concern and, as such, we would like to have the... More

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Ciena (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview process was an overall smooth experience. The initial interview with HR wasn't difficult but there was one question that took me by surprise. At the end of the phone screening I was told I would get a quick response. The second interview with the hiring manager consisted of questions about my mathematical and programming background. I got the job offer and 2+ weeks later I was cleared by the HR team to start at Ciena.

Interview Questions

• If I approached your boss today, what would he say about you? What would you say is the one thing you could improve one to make you a better employee?   Answer Question

Technical Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ciena.

Interview

They brought me into an office and sat me down with four members of the team. Asked me all the generic interview questions, and showed me the office space. I had to stand up and present to them about something I was passionate about. Was not offered the job, but received a phone call from the hiring manager. Had nothing but great things to say and asked me to be sure to apply if anything else came up in their department.

Interview Questions

• Why are you deciding to switch from a medical background to telecommunications?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ciena (New York, NY).

Interview

Very professional and humane treatment from Ciena's collaborators, they send you the a clear information about the position and benefits and give constant feedback about the process. They transmit Ciena's values from the beggining and makes you desire to be part of the company.
    Something that I consider should improve is more transparent information about the salary which you won't know until the end of the process and you don't feel that you have the space to answer it.

Interview Questions

• Skill assessment interview
      Professional path
      Career ambitions   1 Answer

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ciena.

Interview

Talked with a number of engineers. Technical in nature, but also personable. Rotated through a number of engineers and HR to talk about work experience etc. Interviewed onsite and then followed up with a recruiter and engineers at a later date.

Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Ciena.

Interview

The interview process was long and dragged out. Management takes forever to make a decision and drags their feet. It took several months and several meetings. The team is wide spread across multiple countries and regions. It is difficult to meet everyone in person. Many discussions happened over the phone.

Interview Questions

• Questions were about past work experience and situations.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Their benefits are low. Bonus percentage is also low compared to other companies and similar titles. Ask for a higher base pay.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ciena (Spokane, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

3 1 hour interviews. Asked basic C coding questions as well as touched on networking and operating system basics. Very friendly and conversational, nothing too hard. Look for problem solving and helped you through the problem if needed. Each 1 hour interview segment consisted of 2 employees that you would be working with.

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ciena (San Jose, CA).

Interview

4 round white board coding. First 3 with engineers in the team, and last round with manager. Will take you to lunch. People are nice.

1st round ask coding questions of linked list.
    2nd round ask coding questions of linked list, binary search tree.
    3rd round ask coding questions of graph, prime number, and fibonacci.

Interview Questions

• Questions are not hard, basic coding questions about linked list, binary search tree, and graph. Also some questions about fibonacci sequence and prime numbers. People are nice.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ciena (San Jose, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

1st round of interview was with HR. Next was with the manager, where basics of OS and Networks was tested. Later, 3 rounds of interview with team members, which was focused of coding and memory allocation. Nothing out of the box. It was simple.

Interview Questions

• Linked lists, Trees, OS, Networks, memory allocation   1 Answer

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ciena (Hanover, MD) in March 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by HR about my application and confirming all the details on my resume. HR then passed my resume on for the technical interview and they made a phone interview appointment with the team manger. In the technical phone interview, we reviewed my resume, asked about company history, past experience, and talk about position description / benefits.