Ciena Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ciena Interview Questions

Updated Feb 18, 2017

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ciena.

Interview

The interview process is unprofessional I think. They booked the flight for my onsite, the round trip and interview were in one day. I don't have time for the lunch during the whole interview day.
    After the interview, they didn't give me any response to tell me I was rejected or not.
    Months later, I suddenly receive offer from them. But after that, no response any more, even I emailed them to ask about this. And several weeks later, I was told that the they consider other candidates and the offer does not count.....

Interview Questions

• background skills, projects you have been working on. The technique questions related with the role   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ciena in February 2015.

Interview

phone screening, total 5 technical rounds among them they are testing personal skill as well and one of the good thing is interviewer attitude will put you in comfortable zone

Interview Questions

• networking questions, OS concepts and programming skills in c data structures   Answer Question

Solution Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ciena (San Jose, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Initial screening was done by the hiring manager over the phone and then called for a onsite interview with 3 rounds of technical and 1 round of hiring manager interview.
    Technical interviews were moderate.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ciena.

Interview

Received a call from the company's recruiter few weeks after applying online. She scheduled a flight for me to meet with the Hiring Manager at an airport. It was very laid back, manager did not ask anything technical.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ciena (Hanover, MD) in June 2014.

Interview

HR call, then call with manager, then on-site interview. Basic questions about your resumes and personality. some specific job required questions. Overall, pretty easy and simple. learn about the position as questions will be about that.

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Ciena.

Interview

I been contacted by a recruiter a day or so after submitting my application and we scheduled for a phone interview for a couple days later. In the meantime, I studied up like crazy on the company, practiced mock interviews, etc. I also moved some one of my own meetings out of the way, since the interview had already been pushed back once by the recruiter. About an hour prior to the interview starting, I received an e-mail stating that they were cancelling the interview and that I was not going to be considered for the position any further because the hiring manager had identified their top two candidates.

I'm a realist and I know that a job offer is not a guarantee when you're so early on in the process. However, I've never experienced an interview process like that before and was, to put it mildly, justifiably upset at not having even had the chance to interview after all the prep work I had put in.

FPGA Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ciena (Alpharetta, GA) in March 2014.

Interview

Interview with several people. Interviewed all morning, followed by lunch, then another round of interview in the afternoon. After the interview was finished i was given a tour of the facility. After the tour i was sent home and was contacted 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Mostly asked basic digital design questions. Draw a sequential circuit, what is the makeup of an FPGA (LE, Registers etc), Draw a mod 10 counter, draw the schematic for a half adder. Once i drew the schematic for it i was then ask to draw it as if i had only NAND gates.   Answer Question

Hardware Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ciena (Alpharetta, GA) in March 2014.

Interview

I had two hours of interview with four different team members, half an hour for each. They showed me their lab, and talked about few project that they working on.

Interview Questions

• Basic behavioral questions, mostly talked about the project that mentioned on my resume. Discussed about the opportunity, and my role for this position.   1 Answer

Director Program Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Ciena (Hanover, MD) in February 2014.

Interview

Met with hiring manager and the VP for joint interview. Each asked questions and were very interactive. They provided insight into the role. Second interview was with the staff where more detailed day to day interactions were covered to determine management style and leadership experience.

Interview Questions

• Some behavioral interview questions. Relate prior experience to current role. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Ciena.

Interview

Put in application, contacted by interested managers for a very basic screening over the phone within the next 2 days. Scheduled an in-person interview, which took about 4 hours. Interviews are with several other managers and a few senior engineers, mostly oriented around basic technical skills and the normal interview "getting to know you" type stuff.

Negotiation

Phone offer from HR at a different location. Negotiation was tough, wasn't able to get anything.

Employer Interview Review Title Location Interview Question
Ciena Software Engineer Interview background skills, projects you have been working on. The technique questions related with the role
Ciena Software Engineer Interview networking questions, OS concepts and programming skills in c data structures
Ciena Solution Test Engineer Interview San Jose, CA OSPF , L2/L3 forwarding decisions
Ciena Field Project Engineer Interview What are your hobbies?
Ciena Intern Interview Hanover, MD tell us about yourself?
Ciena FPGA Verification Engineer Interview Alpharetta, GA Mostly asked basic digital design questions. Draw a sequential circuit, what is the makeup of an FPGA (LE, Registers etc), Draw a mod 10 counter, draw the schematic for a half adder. Once i drew the schematic for it i was then ask to draw it as if i had only NAND gates.
Ciena Hardware Design Interview Alpharetta, GA Basic behavioral questions, mostly talked about the project that mentioned on my resume. Discussed about the opportunity, and my role for this position.
Ciena Director Program Management Interview Hanover, MD Some behavioral interview questions. Relate prior experience to current role. Nothing out of the ordinary.