Ciena Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ciena Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 7, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ciena (San Jose, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

1st round of interview was with HR. Next was with the manager, where basics of OS and Networks was tested. Later, 3 rounds of interview with team members, which was focused of coding and memory allocation. Nothing out of the box. It was simple.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Ciena

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Ciena (Atlanta, GA) in July 2015.

Interview

It was quite simple and nice really. I was asked about my experience (I already had two internships before this), and what I did/know. Then I was told what they do and how things will be. I was mostly concerned about if I'll learn from them and I did.

Interview Questions

• Describe what you know and have done in your other internships   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ciena.

Interview

The interview process is unprofessional I think. They booked the flight for my onsite, the round trip and interview were in one day. I don't have time for the lunch during the whole interview day.
    After the interview, they didn't give me any response to tell me I was rejected or not.
    Months later, I suddenly receive offer from them. But after that, no response any more, even I emailed them to ask about this. And several weeks later, I was told that the they consider other candidates and the offer does not count.....

Interview Questions

• background skills, projects you have been working on. The technique questions related with the role   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ciena in February 2015.

Interview

phone screening, total 5 technical rounds among them they are testing personal skill as well and one of the good thing is interviewer attitude will put you in comfortable zone

Interview Questions

• networking questions, OS concepts and programming skills in c data structures   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Ciena.

Interview

Put in application, contacted by interested managers for a very basic screening over the phone within the next 2 days. Scheduled an in-person interview, which took about 4 hours. Interviews are with several other managers and a few senior engineers, mostly oriented around basic technical skills and the normal interview "getting to know you" type stuff.

Negotiation

Phone offer from HR at a different location. Negotiation was tough, wasn't able to get anything.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ciena (Alpharetta, GA) in January 2012.

Interview

Submitted online and was called after a wk. Interview was setup next week. Asked questions about linked list(addition, race condition) and then breadth first traversal couldn't get it fully then went through the other interviewers and then didn't get offer.

Interview Questions

• Do breadth first traversal of BST   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Ciena (Alpharetta, GA) in September 2011.

Interview

Applied Online, Phone screen followed by 5 round in-person interview

Interview Questions

• virtual destructors
      c++ inheritance
      singleton class
      pipe
      semaphore
      mutex
      strlen

call by value, call by reference
      break continue
      pure virtual functions
      virtual base class
      linked list - add a node
      hashes
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in City of Spokane Valley, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ciena (City of Spokane Valley, WA) in September 2010.

Interview

Started of over the phone with a discussion with the manager of the team i was interviewing for.
    Was called over a few weeks later for an onsite interview. Asked a few basic java concepts, Linked List implementation, DB concepts and was grilled on Operating systems

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation done from my side.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Ciena (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied for Ciena in September 2016, to the Embedded Software Engineer new grad posting. It took a month for a response for an initial phone screen. The phone screen consisted of indepth questions about your resume with 4 senior engineers/managers - be prepared to talk about all the projects you have listed. I was also quizzed on C/OS/embedded systems topics:
    -What is the role of an OS? Kernel vs user space? Size of a pointer? Compare and contrast LL and arrays - why use one over the other?

I was invited for an onsite in Ottawa a week after - a day trip flight, all expenses paid, and interviewing for 2 roles: Embedded Software Engineer, as well as just Software Engineer. A mandatory coding assessment was also provided before hand consisting of 4 questions: modified fizzbuzz, 2 code debugging/analysis, and string manipulation/sorting. All questions and solutions were C based. They were of fair difficulty (if you've programmed before, you should be fine) - you had 48 hours to complete the assessment, and your solutions are reviewed onsite .

My interviews lasted from 11am to 4pm, with 3 different sets of interviewers from 4 different teams. All interviewers shared notes at the end, although each still asked similar questions. The first round was just 1 interviewer - he asked me questions off my resume for about an hour (all tailored to your experience), then we went to lunch in the cafeteria. The second round consisted of a panel of 3 interviewers including a lab tour - Ciena's R&D headquarters is in Ottawa, and as such the hardware and software labs are also located there. This interview was ~1.5 hours, with again questions based off my experience and my resume. A review of the code and analysis of the problems completed prior to the interview was also done here. The final round was another 1.5 hour interview with a pair of interviewers from 2 separate teams - again, resume based questions as well as "why Ciena", and open ended C based questions to gauge your response/thinking.

Overall, there was no coding on the onsite - only questions based off your experience to gauge how you learn and think. The culture is fairly corporate, but they have a new office being built which is designed to be more modern (e.g. half cubicles, more open space, etc.). Interviewers were all extremely friendly and definitely knowledgeably in their respective areas. It can be difficult to understand what they do as they do not sell to consumers - be sure to really dig into that in the interview.

The offer is average/slightly above - minimal relocation to Ottawa is provided.

Interview Questions

• Resume based questions. Examples:
      - Tell me about project X - how did you use embedded systems?
      - You mentioned you know what a real time system is - describe it in a few sentences for me.
      - What sort of software development processes have you taken apart of?
      - Tell me about your internship experience - what were the key take aways?
      1 Answer
    • A review of the programming assessment completed prior to the interview was also done. Questions vary based on your implementation and coding style, such as: how to improve runtime efficiency? what if a null pointer was passed in? what if the string wasn't null terminated?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ciena (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in February 2015.

Interview

Senior Manager contacted through email after submitting my resume in university career fair. Scheduled a telephonic interview for an hour. Went through every detail in my resume, previous experience, courses/projects taken etc.Then I was called for face to face interview. Its was very relax ed and more like conversation. Again focusing on projects done in university.

Interview Questions

• They also asked questions on abstraction, singleton also stressed on design pattern and simple behavioral questions.   Answer Question