Cigna Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 16, 2017

2.9

STD Claim Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Cigna (Richardson, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

Three different interviews. You also have to take this skill assessment which is very difficult. Three different sets of people ask you numerous questions for what seems like forever. All different questions about you of course and how you handle different types of situations. Role playing. The staff is great about keeping a straight face during the interview.

Managed Care Rotational Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cigna (Nashville, TN).

Interview

Video Interview and then I was invited for super day in Nashville, TN. They paid for all expenses. Most intense interview process I have been thru. Presentations, Speed networking, case study, individual interview. A lot of questions

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you had to communicate non traditionally   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cigna (Hartford, CT) in October 2015.

Interview

I was contacted for a phone screening. Most difficult phone screening I have ever had. They really wanted to see if you knew about the healthcare industry. Afterwards I was contacted for an on site interview. Onsite interviews were difficult as well. 4 interviews with an unofficial interview for lunch. The interviewers were very kind and wanted to get to know you better. A lot of behavioral and technical.

Interview Questions

• If you were the CEO of Cigna, what would you focus on to cut healthcare costs? What are potential problems that can occur during a merger or acquisition?   Answer Question

Health Services Senior Specialist - Dental Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cigna (Irvine, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

This position required the review of complex dental cases. I completed an application, submitted my C.V., and cover letter online. I was then phoned one week later for a telephone interview with their talent acquisition specialist. Was then phone interviewed for a second round by three different dental directors.

Interview Questions

• Cigna's job description stated they were seeking a high level, seasoned dental professional, a "shining star" with at least 10 years experience, primarily in private practice. During my phase one of the interview process, the talent acquisition specialist was very professional, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable. During round two of the interview process: the first interviewer phoned me 1.5 hours early which was 7 a.m. my time zone, however, he apologized and then began to tell me that he was on his way to a meeting. He then stated my resume was impressive, therefore I was unprepared to be asked if I would be "bored' in this position. Second interviewer, asked the same question, and as this was a telework position, asked how I felt about this. Third interviewer spent the majority of the interview telling me that I was over-qualified, and began the interview by stating, "I gotta tell you, I'm really concerned by your qualifications" This experience told me that the interviewers had not reviewed the minimum qualifications for the position, because there was such a disconnect between the job description and their questions. Therefore I spent the majority of all three interviews defending my exemplary career, rather than promoting my experience that would be an asset to the position and the company. Two of the interviewers gave me the impression that they had very little background in interviewing potential candidates. The third candidate claimed they had my wrong phone number, apologized for being late to call, and then seemed perturbed throughout the entire interview. There were also the usual behavioral questions that were asked that seemed highly irrelevant to the requirements of the position, but I guess could possibly give insight to someone's emotional IQ. I rated the interview process below as being "very difficult" not because there were challenging questions asked, but that I felt in terms of morale, the third interviewer in particular seemed to have very little interviewing experience, and coupled with a phone interview experience, it was abysmal experience. I'm still scratching my head.   Answer Question

Business Project Senior Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cigna (Chicago, IL) in November 2013.

Interview

Sent my resume out and got a call the next day to set up a phone interview. I was very excited. But the process itself was confusing. I was emailed a phone number with a special conference access code, which I thought was for the interview panel itself, but it turned out that I had to call that number myself for an interview. Because of that, it started 8 minutes later than scheduled after someone from the team emailed me and asked me if I was still available.

It was a miscommunication that didn't bode well.

I was interviewed by five different people over the phone, and it was the most difficult interview I had up to this point. I felt like I was in a shooting gallery as they shot their questions at me! It was good practice, and also made me realize I wasn't exactly a good fit for the team or company culture. One of the guys on the team was quite condescending when I asked him what a typical workday was there. Oh, there are no typical workdays! Okay, dude. I'm glad it keeps you on your toes! I did have a better rapport with a couple other people on the team, but I didn't think it would be the best fit for me.

Of course, they said they'd be in touch in about a week, but I didn't hear back from them. Typical. Not exactly a loss, as I realized that I wasn't comfortable working for that company, anyway.

Interview Questions

• What did you dislike most about a previous job? What did you dislike most about a previous instructor?   1 Answer

RN Case Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pitts, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cigna (Pitts, PA).

Interview

I submitted my application at a Cigna job fair. I was contacted and had the initial interview face to face.
    Nearly all questions were presented as , "tell me about a time when you..."
    It was not a comfortable interview, since I was unprepared for such questions.
    I must have done OK though... I was contacted and hired.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time in your career, when you were in a confrontational situation, and how you handled it"   Answer Question

RN Case Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cigna (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2012.

Interview

The interview questions were impossible to answer and did not even reflect on my impeccable resume and experience. I was asked questions that did not apply to any work situation that I had ever been in, in my career type, and was asked questions that involved me having to talk about my personal life. Whole interview was humiliating and degrading would never even want to work for them now, even if I had gotten an offer.

Interview Questions

• What have you done that no one else could accomplish?   Answer Question
    • What do you think makes a successful company, and give an example of one?   Answer Question

TECDP Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Cigna (Eden Prairie, MN) in October 2011.

Interview

Everything about the CIGNA TEDCEP interview was great. It started with a presentation from somebody on my campus about their company and the TECDEP program. I emailed him, set up a phone interview, and was offered to come to Eden Prairie for their round 2 interview days. The first day began with some presentations about their company, a tour of the building, and a dinner where they split us up into tables of 6. 3 Cigna employees and 3 candidates. Do not underestimate the dinner (or any part of their interview for that matter). The dinner is part of the interview, and they will be expecting you to answer some of their questions, ask them some questions, and just in general, not act like a moron.

They then put us up in a nice hotel overnight, and the following morning we had the opportunity to head back over to their campus. The day consisted of a breakfast, lunch, and 4 'interviews' One was a one-on-one interview (very traditional), one was a presentation to about 6 Cigna employees about a school/internship project you've done, one was a technical case study based on what you told them you know (mine was in Java). Finally, there is a group project, where they just want to see that you can talk comfortably in a group, and come up with something halfway decent. It's an intense day, and as I said before, don't underestimate anything. It's deliberately intense to separate the great from the really great.

Overall, they seemed like a great place to work, and the TECDEP program seemed great.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you beat the odds.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time in which you had more on your plate than you could handle.   Answer Question

I felt bad about having to decline their offer, but I received an offer from a different company that more closely matched my interests, so I accepted that instead.

TECDP Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cigna (Hartford, CT) in November 2010.

Interview

The TECDP Interview process is very intense to ensure they hire the best. The first round interview (done on campus) involved typical behavioral questions.

The 2nd round, which is on-site in CT, is a day long program done with all TECDP candidates present. It involves another behavioral interview, a group project, a presentation about yourself, a round-table discussion (not part of the interview decision), and a case study - all in front of at least 3 interviewers.

Each part is at least half an hour long (aside from the presentation, which is about 5 minutes), and are all extremely intense. You will feel worn out afterwards, but the experience was entirely worth it.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time where you experienced conflict in a project, and how you stood out to solve problems within the group.   Answer Question

While the offer's salary was extremely attractive and the the program allows for amazing growth, you aren't guaranteed a position at the company once your 2-3 year program is complete. With the way the economy was, and another full-time offer elsewhere on the table, I didn't want to risk being unemployed after a few years.

Additionally, growing up in the Midwest, I am not a big fan of the Northeast, and I felt I simply would not enjoy living in CT.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Cigna (Greenville, SC) in January 2010.

Interview

Met at the University campus recruiting event. Had an interview the following week with two cigna representatives on campus. Then, one and a half months later got the email inviting me to HeadQuarters in Connecticut. Went to Connecticut in January, had dinner that night with a bunch of candidates and the Regional VPs of Cigna, as well as current Sales Reps. The next morning, had 3 one on one interviews with Regional VPS, and had a Simulation with a group of 4 other potential candidates. The simulation is basically testing your ability to sell against the other candidates. After leaving Headquarters, I received the offer a little over a week later (probably like 10 days).

Interview Questions

• You receive a document with information about a client looking for insurance. Then you receive infomation about the plan that you are supposed to push. You give a presentation for 4 minutes to all the VPs of why your plan is the best. Then you have to discuss with the other candidates who all have different plans and come to a consensus of which plan to go with. You want your plan to win.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not try to negotiate but I would imagine that you could. The pay was really good so I chose not to.