Cigna Underwriter Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 6, 2017

3.2

20 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cigna (Nashville, TN) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very rigorous. The only thing that was truly unique to Cigna was the curve ball of having to answer math questions on the fly. There was two rounds with different individuals that asked a multitude of different questions.

Interview Questions

• With what you know about medical underwriting what would you first do when getting a new client?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Cigna

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cigna (Hartford, CT).

Interview

Applied in Boston area via school website. Had first round at school. Second round in Hartford, CT. Fairly hard interview with a tough second round that has two sets of two interviewers. Each asks some behavioral and analytical questions. Overall it was not to bad other than one of the interviews who was a jerk.

Interview Questions

• Q. Name favorite restaurant. Take 3 minutes to map out how many customers they would have on the busiest night. Make sure you come up with a single number and be able to back it up.   1 Answer

Job was not for me.

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Cigna (Hartford, CT) in November 2016.

Interview

Fairly average in terms of difficulty. Started by applying to the ULTRA Program online directly via Cignas website. After waiting about a month, I was invited to group interviews at a state university.

First interview involved myself and two Underwriters from Cigna who had graduated from ULTRA. Consisted of several analytical questions, but more behavioral than anything else. Typical interview experience, nothing unexpected. Be sure to answer analytical questions correctly, and ask good questions at the end.

Was contacted a day later for the second and final interview, which took place at the Cigna HQ in Bloomfield/Hartford, CT. Was told that I'd be meeting with two upper Underwriters of Cigna, soon learned that this interview process actually consisted of TWO 30 minute interviews with TWO different upper Underwriters. Again, involved more analytical and behavioral questions that would determine how I suited what Cigna looks for in their Underwriters. Questions involved being able to handle quantitative questions, my experience with data analysis, how I would work with others in Cigna, and past work experience.

After completing both interviews, was walked out of building and told that I would hear back before Thanksgiving (a 4 week time period). Heard back a little less than a week before Thanksgiving with an offer from Cigna by a phone call, and accepted the position immediately.

My Advice: PRACTICE. Think of any interview question that they could ask, and come up with several different answers that would work in an interview. Be sure to emphasize your experience in data analysis and why you fit this position. This applies to any interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you influence car drivers of the United States to drive in the left lane of a road as oppose to the right lane?   Answer Question
    • Think of your favorite restaurant. On a typical Friday night, how many customers do you think they would have for that night? Explain your answer, and how you came up with that number.   Answer Question
    • Imagine that you're working with our Sales team here, something that you'll do often. It's a Friday, and you have two co-workers that have equal amounts of work that must be done by the end of the day. How would you help each of these co-workers reach their goal by the end of the day, if possible?   Answer Question
    • Explain a time where you've had to deliver bad news to someone you've worked with, whether it be a customer or a co-worker.   Answer Question
    • Explain your experience with data analysis.   Answer Question

Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cigna in November 2016.

Interview

The first interview was over the phone around 30 minutes with the department manager. It was just getting to know you type questions and giving you a chance to highlight some things in your cover letter and resume. They also explain the job to you. The second interview was approximately 90 minutes with 5 different people in HR and the Underwriting department. They asked you harder questions about your work experience and a few mental math questions. They just want to see the process in how you formulate your answer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when overcomed a difficult challenge   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cigna (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied via school job website. Received an email for an interview. Interview process went well. Asked personal questions then moved onto some mental math questions involving percentages. Waiting to hear back.

Interview Questions

• You have 7 pool balls and a scale. You have two tries to find the ball that weighs less.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cigna (Nashville, TN) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied after career fair on campus and got a first round after that. Haven't heard from them about second round and it's been over a week. Interviewer was very nice. I felt very relaxed immediately after we started talking.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral question with 3 easy math questions in the end. Tell me about a time when you provide a new solution to a problem. Tell me about a time when you have to resolve an issue in a team setting.   Answer Question

Underwriting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cigna (Wilmington, DE) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied, received an interview request within a week, went into the Wilmington Delaware office to interview. I met with the manager and she asked behavioral based questions and asked about my goals going forward. It was a great interview and a very comfortable experienced.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you were put in a difficult situation? How did you handle that situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cigna (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2016.

Interview

I had a 4 hours long interview with about 10 different people. It was the standard process for the underwriter position and ended with a presentation on 1 of 3 topics (wellness, resilience, or diversity) followed by a quick Q&A about it. there were 3 sets of 2 interviews and the presentation. Each interview was done in a pair none one on one. There was also a shadow portion. I thought I did very well on the interview but did not end up getting an offer. Each interviewer was very different and I found it most challenging to connect with any of them. After the interview my take on the position had changed and it was very singular with less interaction with others than i expected. Also, I asked about Obamacare which apparently didn't effect the position at all and they though was random made for an awkward moment.

Interview Questions

• what is 9% of 46?
      Tell me about a time you made something simple to understand.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Cigna (Nashville, TN) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied online for the Underwriting Leadership Training and Risk Assessment Program. After applying two weeks later I did a telephone interview with two associates from the Underwriting department. The interview took place on 10/2715 and it lasted for about 30 minutes. THe phone interview was pretty basic.
     4 parts
    a. introduction of the associates
    b. talk about yourself
    c. behavioral questions
    d. questions
    The interviewers stated that the starting salary would be mid- 40's and that they would not be hiring anyone until 01/2016. At this time I am waiting on a call back to see if i made it to the next round of the interview process

Interview Questions

• If you were given a total at a restaurant of $65.00 and you wanted to leave a 20% tip how much in total would you pay.   1 Answer

Negotiation

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cigna (Franklin, TN).

Interview

Filled out an application online. Was contacted in about a week by phone. Was asked about my availability, why i was interested in the position, and if i was looking for full time work. Was told she would share my information with the hiring manager and would contact me if she wanted to move forward. About a week after that i was contacted to schedule an interview. Note that since the recruiter is not local they will not know exactly how things are at a certain location. I was told to go to the security desk, show my id, and tell them i had an appointment with the underwriting specialist. When i arrived there, there wasn't a security desk and not alot of insight of where to go. I thought i was going to miss the interview but luckily a young lady assisted me with finding my way. The recruiter stated i was going to have two separate interviews with the director and specialist. I ended up having one interview with three managers all together. First they introduced themselves, told their roles and how long they had been with the company. Then asked me to tell them about myself and go through my resume. I was asked questions about excel (what functions ive used), when was a time i had to make decisions as i went along, how would i think decisions are made to determine risks, how did i think they determined risk in an employer setting. Described the position and asked what exactly i felt would give me trouble about the position. Overall, it was a good experience. My interview was today so I'm not sure if i will get an offer or not so I answered no offer. I just wanted to get my review out to fellow interviewers while it was fresh on my mind!

Interview Questions

• If I sale a product for $100 and 10% sales tax is included how much would it cost   2 Answers