Cisco Systems Customer Support Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 30, 2017

3.4

52 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Durham, NC) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online, in a week got email and call from TA partner for Cisco. Few basis questions via email related to you work, salary, relocation, etc etc.
Next round was webex for 1 hr.

Interview Questions

• technical and non-technical questions. Resume based questions.
    Firewall installation, VPN t'shoot, traceroute, IPS.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Boston, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

First I was contacted by a HR person to set up a call with 3 people for like half an hr. It was a phone call with three people asking technical and aptitude questions for 10 mins each. The same day the HR requested my availability for a Hangout video interview with two people for a total of one hr. In the mean time she also initiated a Background check which was a bit surprising as it was a bit early and there was still a video interview pending. The video interview was a bit hard I would say. And the last few mins had the hiring manager ask some Managerial questions. And then the waiting game started. I got the background verification done with and I was waiting for a decision from their end. I mailed the HR a couple of times but with no reply. And after about 2 weeks I got a mail from a technical person asking for my availability to interview me for the same position but from a different location. I thought this was just one other round and I sat for the telephonic interview. The interview had 3 technical people asking questions for like 45mins. I felt it went well. After about a week I mailed that technical person for a feedback, and he said if I hadn't been contacted by them for a week, then that suggests I was rejected. The whole process was a bit messy and quick.

Interview Questions

• Questions from layer 3 switching, how exactly traceroute works, gave a network scenario and asked questions like what all happens right from switching on the network. And also how to build a strong firewall for that network, firewall types etc (security questions because this team were providing support for Cisco security products). Why is there 'areas' concept in OSPF, why not work without areas? LSA Types? TCP/IP Handshake?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Austin, TX).

Interview

Asked questions regarding the osi model. Want to make sure you can think on your toes. They try to make you sweat to see how you react. Just know your stuff. Ccna is a plus

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

The response to my resume was fast and I was able to quickly set up a web interview after my first contact. I made it to the final round which was a 30 minute interview with the manage and an hour long interview with two technical leads.

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted, requesting a phone screen. This was just basic behavioral questions. I then had a webex, this is the video conferencing software they use, interview where technical questions were asked. After this, they sent me a case, where I had to solve a customer's problem and prepare a paper and powerpoint slide with the resolution. A Manager interview and technical interview concluded the interviewing process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Chapel Hill, NC) in April 2015.

Interview

Initial interview at a hackathon, followed by a phone/online interview with two different personnel.

For my case, there was an error in scheduling because the recruiter in charge of scheduling missed sending a time confirmation email to me and so the first interviewer called at the wrong time. The second interview came right after the first, but the second personnel was running late and had to delay the interview for 30 min.

Interview Questions

• Very typical questions, such as what are your strengths and weaknesses, describe a time where you have struggled and how you got through it.

However, one interviewer was particularly insistent on asking what I would do if I encountered a problem I cannot solve--as in, I literally didn't have the knowledge or tools to solve it. Replied "seek help from others, company and online resources, etc. which I believe is a reasonable answer."

But he continued on and asked hypothetical questions such as "what if the person you seek for help couldn't solve it either?" and keeps doing so every time I give an answer.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Raleigh, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

Everything on glassdoor has been spot on. HR interview is trivial and standard, with some basic problem solving situations (I didn't have networking experience so my situation was car trouble). Next is Cisco interview challenge which is basically unanswered questions from their customer support forums- a cheap way to outsource your tech support I suppose. Neither the manager or the two technical leads were interested in talking about the interview challenge, but the interviews themselves were quite nice. All persons were amicable and the technical round wasn't even too rough despite having only a basic understanding of important topics like the OSI model. Now just waiting for the yes or no.

Interview Questions

• "Describe the layers of the OSI model, provide an example of a protocol for each"   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (New York, NY).

Interview

Their interview process is long and requires. Lot of work. The company recruiters I worked with were nice but very disorganised. The position I applied for was listed for the San Jose location. When a recruiter called, they told me there were no positions available there, so I said I wasn't interested in relocating. I got a call the next day saying they did have openings in San Jose, so I agreed to go through the interview process. This involved:

-a phone call from a recruiter
    -a first-round phone interview with a manager
    -preparing a one-page technical document and one non-technical slide to respond to a scenario they gave me.
    -one half-hour "non-technical" manager interview
    -one hour technical interview with two technical managers
    Interviews were both conducted via Webex.

The scenario they gave me required a lot of research on my part. The interviews went really well, they all seemed confident I would get the job. The interviewers did not ask about the scenario I had been given or the documents I had prepared, those were uploaded to my candidate profile.

The interviewers encouraged me to start learning everything I could to obtain my CCNA certification, because they were sure I would get the position and your first few weeks at Cisco are like "trying to drink from a firehouse" because of all the new information.

The interview process took about a month because they had to keep rescheduling interviews due to the managers' busy schedule.

After my interviews, the manager asked me to select my location preference from a list. San Jose was not on that list. I responded to the email by saying "I was told San Jose was an option, is that still available?" To which he responded "yes just confirming San Jose is still your preference." That was strange.

I was then told I would hear back within a few weeks. After about five weeks I tried getting a hold of my recruiter and didn't hear back for a while. After trying harder to get in contact with him, I was told I was not selected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Atlanta, GA) in February 2015.

Interview

I was approached at a career fair at my university where I was given an interview. A few days later I received an email stating I had moved on to the final round of interviews. Before the interviews, I had to complete a challenge from Cisco. Afterwards, I had a 30 minute non-technical and 1 hour technical interview.

Interview Questions

• An application is running slowly on Windows. What would you do to see what's going wrong?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

30 min in person interview with current team members, then a 30 minute interview with a manager and an hour interview with technical leads. in addition, had to prepare a technical email and a mock powerpoint slide for a nontechnical manager. after about 5 weeks, i got a request for a background check. then about 2 weeks after that, i got a call with the offer.