Cisco Systems Customer Support Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cisco Systems Customer Support Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Cisco Systems

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Research Triangle Park, NC) in November 2009.

Interview

Phone interview with Cisco's head of Customer Support Engineering. This is an entry level position so most of the questions had to do with my course work in school. The interviewer was very helpful in positive and negative feedback regarding my experience and overall situation regarding the position.

Interview Questions

• Are you good at dealing with different people?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Research Triangle Park, NC) in January 2007.

Interview

Extremely difficult phone interview over an hour. 5-6 engineers on the phone asking technical questions across all subjects - Unix, Routing/Switching, Voice, Oracle, etc. In-depth discussions about protocols, RFC/IETF specifications, signaling flows. No trick questions but they quiz you on everything on your resume.

Interview Questions

• Describe the call flow when using XYZ protocol including supplementary service delivery.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Easy.

Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Application

The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Richardson, TX) in January 2009.

Interview

Definitely know the OSI model and the basics of networking. Minimum expectation is to have at least CCNA level experience. Then also be prepared to talk about your experiences in working with customers, kind of like a high tech call center. People/Soft skills are as important as technical skills, though few managers value that.
    EXPECT the STAR interview technique, like tell me about a time.
    Be prepared to answer any and everything on your resume. I interviewed for a technical position but my CV stated I took an Accounting and Market course in Grad Schol. I was asked to tell the Porter's five forces.

Bottom line, be prepared to defen your resume in it's entirety.

Interview Questions

• Tell me Porter's Five forces   1 Answer
    • Tell me about the OSI model   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time where you had to work in a team environment. What conflicts did you experience and how did you handle them?   Answer Question
    • Explain the whole process of a computer booting up in terms of the OSI model and when you enter www.yahoo.com.   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Rochester, NY).

Interview

new hire interview for a CSE as part of special grad program. met some amazing people both in person and (primarily) over the phone.
    modest relocation with really awful restricted stock options / incentives.
    great mix of technical and non-technical folks hired in as a single group. was a good idea but i feel that practice is fading.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

took first offer. was a moderate amount but seemed great for me as a grad.

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Research Triangle Park, NC).

Interview

Team members conduct phone interview and then some of the team members will meet and interview the candidate on site. Team members have more say than the management in hiring a candidate.

Negotiation

No negotiation when I got hired.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

phone screen..techincal too and then 6 guys were interviewing during that time..lasted 2 hours

The interview was good..i mean nice people but be prepared in depth as its Cisco so they expect a lot and if you have certs..then be proud of them...let them hear it :)

Good luck

Interview Questions

• - STP..the works: BPDUs, RP, DPs etc
      - DHCP IP helper concept
      - Mac address, multicast, unicast
      - some analytical questions..like how to troubleshoot a link down,,,,what steps
      - project handling skills etc

- Some basic BGP and OSPF questions..like AS path number, load balancing OSPF links   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

It was a college recruiting event, and I got an 1:1 interview with an alumni. The interviewer was nice and professional. She asked several general first interview questions and some technical questions. The technical questions were pretty straight but not tricky. If you got CCNA or CCENT Certification, you will be fine with those technical questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the different between C and C++?   1 Answer
    • Tell me something about TCP and UDP.   2 Answers
    • What are you going to do when you got an angry customer on the phone?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Research Triangle Park, NC) in July 2012.

Interview

An agency contacted me about my resume on an online job seeking site. The staffing agency finds interview candidates for Cisco and prepare them to be as good a candidate as possible. My agency went above and beyond in preparing me and informing me on the interview process and what to expect. The process took very long on Cisco's end, but I soon had an in-person interview at Cisco, which I studied for for two days, reviewing all of my CCNA material and the preliminary questions the agency asked me over the phone. Overall, I over-studied and nailed every question in the interview. I was surprised at how easy the interview was for me.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Pay was determined by an agency, who offered me only $12/ hour at my initial team with promises of a raise the moment I moved to my permanent team. I had very little experience besides a paid internship, but I did have a CCNA certification, which I have noticed few people at my level of support have. In my experience, agencies always offer low with promises of a raise very soon. I encourage anyone negotiating to ask for what they believe they deserve listing their strengths and see what they can negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Research Triangle Park, NC) in May 2012.

Interview

Well my cisco journey began with an email from the TAC member on May24th. JUL 20th and I was contacted by this TAC had an 1hr 30min interview with him. Then I was contacted by a engineer and had a 15min interview now all I have left is 2 interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Milpitas, CA) in January 2008.

Interview

Multiple interviews during a single day, all with hiring manager and their direct reports. Emphasis was more on being a good fit, having the right interpersonal skills and desire to learn, enthusiasm about the technology than actual current experience (though that is of course a huge plus.) People were very personable during the interviews, and they felt more like discussions over a cup of coffee than interrogations.

Interview Questions

• What is the accomplishment at a previous position you were most proud of? What was your biggest failure at this same company, and how would you change to turn that failure into a positive experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was offered top salary for my experience and position. I did not negotiate further as the compensation was higher than my expectations.