Cisco Systems IT Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cisco Systems IT Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Cisco Systems

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2007.

Interview

The interview was pretty straightforward. I had been an intern there already for several months, but they didn't just accept me in. I had a phone interview which lasted about 45 minutes with the hiring manager who was from the east coast. A few days later I had the actual interview.

There were 6 different 1 on 1 interviews which lasted for about a half hour each. I interviewed with an HR person, a manger, a couple engineers, an architect and then a couple analysts together.

It was pretty easy. The only difficult questions were those posed by the architect and even then they were simple. I was surprised because there were a lot of people interviewing me, but none went very in depth. It's possible it was just because the position was an IT Engineer 1 and I had already been performing in that position for a few months though.

Interview Questions

• You have a class in Java and you would like to know how many instances of it exist at any given time. How would you do this?   1 Answer
  • A basic 'how do you prevent a race condition' question.   1 Answer

I had two offers on the table: one from Cisco and one from a startup. I chose the startup.

Other Interview Reviews for Cisco Systems

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in December 2009.

Interview

First interview was on campus, went well. Next at Cisco HQ, I interviewed with three different hiring managers, which also seemed to go well. Tried to work with HR about other offer deadlines, it looked like I might possibly get an offer from Cisco, but never got one in time. I eventually told them I had already accepted another offer in their last attempt to contact me regarding a position.

Overall, I wish their process was quicker, as Cisco was somewhere I've always wanted to work.

Interview Questions

• What are the two most important skills you gained at school?   Answer Question

IT Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Cisco Systems in March 2013.

Interview

Pretty chill, didn't even have a real technical interview. Flew into San Jose from the Midwest on my Spring Break to meet my interviewer in person and got a tour of the facilities. That was on a Wednesday and got an offer for two positions on Friday.

Interview Questions

• Was in the same fraternity as one of the interviewers, asked me to recite the Greek alphabet.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA).

Interview

On Campus Career Fair, then to On Campus Interview, then to Web-ex Interview. All very positive experiences, working with pleasant interviewers. The university helped a lot in the process of setting up interviews and bringing the recruiters to campus

IT Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied as a new graduate. Difficult written round consisting of aptitude and technical questions. 2 rounds of Technical interviews and one round of HR interview. Received the offer in 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Implement Quick Sort and describe the time complexity. Example when the worst case time complexity will take place.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

Recruiter was on time and asked basic questions. Then set up technical interviews over the phone. The phone interviews, approximately 8, were part technical, part behavioral. All of them were 1:1. One on-site with a high level manager.

Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Morrisville, NC) in May 2010.

Interview

Six people interview with mostly analytical questions. There were not a lot of critical thinking question even though the respective position was of technical background. The interviewers seem to be critical of your purpose and future at the company.

Interview Questions

• Why do you seek the position and where do you see yourself with it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was not a lot of negotiation since this was my first full time position. I was disappointed with the benefits of the offer, but the experience was worth it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Raleigh, NC) in October 2013.

Interview

Talked to recruiter at a career fair at my university, and he got me an interview the following week. The first interview lasted thirty minutes, and we mostly just talked about my resume and experiences, and touched on how I would try to tackle some specific problems. The next interview was about two weeks later and was done through WebEx with a couple of managers. They asked about past projects, how I went about solving issues, difficult problems, working with the team, etc. Then a couple of weeks later I got an offer. Overall, pretty easy interviews.

Interview Questions

• Not all that difficult, but what is the difference between classification and regression algorithms?   Answer Question

Offer was non-negotiable with a very standard starting salary. I got an offer that I negotiated with another company that I liked better.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Conversion from Consultant to Full-time. Knew the entire team and everyone said hire.

Interview Questions

• Offer = Are you okey with the offer!   1 Answer

Negotiation

No Negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Columbus, OH) in September 2011.

Interview

After talking to the recruiter at my universities career fair I was set up for an interview a week and a half later. The interview was a half hour session done over WebEx (videoconferencing software). All of the questions focused on my personality, former job experience, and team project experience. All of the questions were very standard for a behavioral interview. The setting was fairly laid back, but I dressed up for video conferencing for good measure. After a couple of months of waiting I got an e-mail for a third-party background check. Once that was complete I was given an offer shortly after.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep up with technology outside of class?   1 Answer
    • Name a time you when you had a difficult time working with a group member and how you overcame this challenge.   1 Answer