Cisco Systems Engineering Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 12, 2016

2.9

Engineering Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Atlanta, GA) in January 2015.

Interview

after a telephone interview with the hiring manager, a daylong interview session was set up to interview on site with the hiring manager and other peers that the position interfaces with. Each interview was about 30 minutes. There were periods between interviews that nothing was scheduled and I was left in a conference room by myself.

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to this job from your experience in small startup companies?   Answer Question

Systems Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Irvine, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Harsh environment, with the hiring manager having an aggressive interview style, time clock, rapid fire questions, etc. Very pressure oriented, not taking time to see what someone can offer to the role or potential. Feedback at the end was poor, no guidance on how to improve or areas of weakness.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

Phone Interview lasted 30 minutes

Interview Questions

• What are the things you would do as a manager of a global team to work together cohesively?   1 Answer

Engineering Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Research Triangle Park, NC) in June 2011.

Interview

Having worked at Cisco for around 12 years, I left a few years ago to pursue other opportunities including a start-up. Currently out of work, in this tough job market and I saw this great opportunity working with the government unit there. First of all, some background on this organization. They don't hire any non-whites into management roles there or program management roles, and most of the people working there are white boys and white girls. Some things don't change here in the south. My previous attempts to get into this organization failed for reasons they wouldn't disclose. One manager mentioned I have tremendous technical skills but lacked knowledge of a particular secret government security protocol. I asked him what it was. He told me it was classified. HaHa!
    Here is another aspect to almost everyone's career. You evolve as a professional. IN my case, I began with QA, then became a test team lead, then started project leading. I have also done QA management. So I walked into this interview, armed with Cisco background, tons of project management experience, sound technical knowledge, and experience with product certifications. Right away they started assuming that I would not be happy in the PM role because I had a technical background. I spent the next 3 hours trying to convince everyone I interviewed with that the engineering skills would enhance my ability to do a better job. I explained the PM tools I have used, PLC, reporting tools, project planning etc. This is the same organization that would not give me a chance to interview for a test management position which I am qualified to do as well. What gives?
    Of course, I wasn't chosen. It looks like more of the same at Cisco. Narrow-minded, boxed in approach, bunch of robots just following each other.

Interview Questions

• What is the toughest challenge faced you faced during a project   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

Pretty typical, resume, phone interview, in person interview, call back, offer/negotiation.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your prior experience in the networking business.   1 Answer
    • What challenges have you overcome that have made you successful in your prior experience?   1 Answer

Negotiation

it was typical and fair.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (San Jose, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Short interview. No surprisoing questions. Very narrowly focussed on networking. Seemed to be disconnected with applications etc. spoke to 7 people from various job levels. Fairly predictable and no surprises.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

Expect a minimum of five interviews for any position in the company. The process is very competitive. If you are interviewing for an engineering position in Cisco Services, you had better have spent a considerable amount of time studying your routing and switching. If you put something on your resume, your experience had better be deep.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Reasonable.

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Bengaluru (India)) in May 2012.

Interview

Interviewers were very knowledgeable and nice to me. It took long time to complete the interviews with all the Senior Managers because of their busy schedules. My interviews were directly initiated by the hiring manager as I was referred internally by one of my friend.

Interview Questions

• There are 2 colleagues in your team A and B. A is senior and is very skilled and B is very energetic and enthusiastic person and is very productive. A has some complains about B's attitude as B has been praising Mr. C very much in front of all the people. A comes and talks to you saying, it should be the act which should be praised, not the person. How will you handle this conflict?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No Negotiation was possible for me. I was told it's the best offer they can give to me as per company's standard scale.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Cisco Systems in May 2010.

Interview

Good process. Great interview panelists with good knowledge of the domain and the industry. Several struck as people who have been rotting too long in the same positions. The senior director I spoke to was to "high level" as if technology were for the mere coolies and like he was above it all.

Interview Questions

• How would you segment the service provider space by networking technology needs?   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2009.

Interview

Applied through the company website but also forwarded the resume directly to the HR recruiter. (I got the name of the recruiter from a contact within the company). This was a phone screen with the recruiter and had the typical questions about why you left your company, how many people you managed, etc. This is used to determine if you will be presented to the hiring manager. The recruiter was willing to share where I stood with the competition.

Interview Questions

• What have been doing during this time (of unemployment)?   Answer Question