Cisco Systems Customer Support Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cisco Systems Customer Support Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Atlanta, GA) in February 2015.

Interview

I was approached at a career fair at my university where I was given an interview. A few days later I received an email stating I had moved on to the final round of interviews. Before the interviews, I had to complete a challenge from Cisco. Afterwards, I had a 30 minute non-technical and 1 hour technical interview.

Interview Questions

• An application is running slowly on Windows. What would you do to see what's going wrong?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

30 min in person interview with current team members, then a 30 minute interview with a manager and an hour interview with technical leads. in addition, had to prepare a technical email and a mock powerpoint slide for a nontechnical manager. after about 5 weeks, i got a request for a background check. then about 2 weeks after that, i got a call with the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

I had an introductory interview with them, about an hour long just to get to know me and talk about my resume. That was the easy part.

The next step was a two-pronged interview over Skype. The first interview was with a CSE team manager. Pretty easy, just talking about how compatible your work style was with the team's style. It was friendly and informative and very casual. It was about 45 minutes.

The second was an interview with two current/past CSE's. This was not advertised to me as a technical interview but it became one very quickly. For the first half hour, it contained basic questions about where my industry strength and weaknesses were: what I had been trained to do, what I hadn't, how much I knew about their company, ect. At the half hour mark, the second CSE took over and began drilling me with code samples asking me "What does this do? What does that do?"

It took my by surprise because they used code languages I had told them I hadn't had a lot of experience in, but continued to ask me questions despite my "I don't know"s. After this technical portion, the two interviewers were much "colder" to me than they had been previously. I asked them 10 minutes worth of follow up questions and then we left.

They told me they would contact me in 2-3 weeks.

Overall the process took about 6 weeks from first contact to end of interviewing.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cisco Systems in January 2015.

Interview

Interview process consisted of a 15 minute phone screen (easy questions about work background, college studies, etc.). This was followed by a phone interview with a manager. This was technical. It was moderately difficult. The next round, I was given a technical issue that a customer was experiencing, and I had to create a one slide powerpoint presentation (nontechnical) to present to a manager, in addition to a technical email that had to be less than one page. You don't actually have to present it, it just has to be sent to an email address. The question itself wasn't difficult. It can be found easily on the Cisco support site. They simply expect you to be able to take the information and present it in an understandable fashion to both nontechnical and technical users.
    As part of this 3rd round of interviews, I also had a 1 hour interview with a current Customer Support Engineer and a Technical lead. This was very similar to the 2nd interview, except it had more behavioral questions (how would you handle an angry customer, etc.)
    The final step in the interview process is a 30 minute interview with a manager. This was completely nontechnical. He asked questions like "Where do you see yourself in 5 years," strengths, weaknesses, etc. This was very different from any of the others.
    Within 4 hours, I had a notice that the company wanted to run a background check on me, and then an offer the next day.
    The overall interview process was good, but my recommendation would be for Cisco to stop outsourcing the scheduling. I was having to deal with Accenture employees, who then had to communicate with the Cisco employees, and then the Accenture employees would contact me (sometimes). I had two interviews that were moved without notifying me. One of these, I didn't know had been moved until 30 minutes after when it was originally scheduled.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach changing your teammates perception of you, if you had gained a reputation for being an unproductive team member   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cisco Systems.

Interview

Interviewed at a career fair. The interview itself was easy enough to get. Questions asked seemed pretty generic, "what is the hardest problem you've solved" "how do you work through difficult issues".
    Mostly a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you work through difficult problems?   1 Answer

Interview

phone interview then actual on site - you should have a solid networking knowledge for the interview. TAC is a great place to work. CCIE is highly appreciated here! you also need to have a great communication skills and be able to troubleshoot!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Long process but worked perfectly

Customer Support Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cisco Systems in May 2014.

Interview

Seven interviews including team manager and individual contributors. Management was friendly. Technical interview was dour and left interviewee with a negative impression of the technical staff. Overall experience was mid to negative. The panel interview did not seem to care if you succeeded or if they went to interview the next candidate.

Interview Questions

• Explain end to end your troubleshooting methodology from an endpoint through the corporate network to another endpoint where packets are not being delivered. Include descriptions of all available information with #show commands on the switches and routers.   1 Answer

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Interview

Initial Call followed by a 30 minute non technical interview. After passing this there is a minute long presentation video that has to be submitted. In addition to this there will be a two hour block set up where there will be a 30 minute non-technical interview followed by an hour long technical panel.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems (Research Triangle Park, NC) in November 2013.

Interview

All interviews were conducted through WebEx. First interview was a little over 30 minutes and was very general in questions. Why did you apply? Can you explain your resume in great detail?

Prior to the second interview I was given a question that for which I had to make a video response. Then the second interview was with a hiring manager, followed by a 30 minute break and then two or three Cisco employees (all through WebEx). The hiring manager asked questions such as what's a switch? What's a router? Then the Cisco employees asked questions regarding my resume.

Interview Questions

• Explain the OSI Model? For each layer describe it and give a protocol for each.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cisco Systems in October 2013.

Interview

I was hired through campus recruiting efforts at my university's career fair. I met with a recruiter and set up an on-campus interview. It was rather straightforward and behavioral based and lasted a little over half an hour. Then a few weeks later I got an email saying I'd made it to the second and final round, which would be conducted remotely using Cisco's telepresence technology. It was 2 hours. I spent half an hour speaking with a member of management who gauged my interest and talked about my experience for a little while. Then there was a break and I spoke with two Customer Support Engineers for the "technical interview". There was no coding examples and almost everything was situational problem solving.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if Customer X called and told you "this isn't working"?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. Salary was determined based on years experience and was not open to negotiation.